OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Adhere to the rules below regarding discussion that is political in nature or you will be warned and permanently removed from this series of threads. Considering we are relaxing forum rules regarding political discussion, what steps "over the line" is completely at the discretion of the moderation team. Examples of what constitutes appropriate discourse are listed below. When in doubt, don't post it. Do not wish harm or infection on members of the public, including the press, be it an individual or network/outlet/newspaper, etc.

It is becoming apparent that threadbans/infractions aren't enough for some people. The next step is a forum ban until hockey season starts.

We are going to follow similar rules for this thread that exist in the COVID-19 forum.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Here is a tracker from Johns Hopkins.

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
If you consider a pre-pandemic situation where the usage of these masks was pretty much limited to certain times for certain procedures to a post-pandemic situation where everyone in the hospital needs to wear masks at all times (it would be dangerously irresponsible not to) then it is very easy to need 15X the masks.

The government should want everyone to have as many masks as they need. It’s a sore subject fir him perhaps? It’s a truly depressing that we are sending doctors and nurses to care for the contagious without supplies but then to turn around and accuse them of theft or profiteering when they are the ones that won’t have what they need soon, or even now, and be in true danger, well that is... the kindest thing I can say is on brand.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Hmm, I wonder where all those masks are going. Maybe he can ask someone actually in a hospital like I just asked my wife?

She normally never wears a mask throughout her day, now she is wearing 1-2 a day. If she is interacting with a patient that might have it (someone who shared a room with a positive patient but may not be positive themselves) she tosses it after each visit into the room. Even the people wearing N-95 masks are wearing these masks over those. They might not change it out as often if they are working in an environment where everyone has it, but my wife sure does to limit whatever exposure she can for her other patients.

Obviously, that is going to add up quickly. Obviously, that's what the medical staff feels they need to fight this as best as possible. If you can't get that many masks, I understand, its not an easy job right now. Don't try and turn it on the front line fighters like they are using the masks for anything other than fighting this right now.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
For the record, as I've stated before, my brother is an ICU Fellow on the eastern seaboard, in Philadelphia (new info, but f*** it). He was given one (1) mask and one (1) set of protective glasses for the week. He FaceTimed me, held them up, and f***ing showed them to me. Then, he showed me the equipment he's looking to Goddamn jerry-rig so he can actually have something with a replaceable filter that can be cleaned. He's also told me his friends from Med School working in NYC have been instructed not to share statistics.

And the President is now implying doctors and nurses in New York (where they've now set up field hospitals in both the Javits Center and Central Park, for Chrissakes) are stealing equipment?!?!?

I just... I don't know what to say.

I'm this close to literally weeping.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Shit just got real....
EAC0F40C-7AB3-4938-8E5E-0EBC826E101B.jpeg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My business partner told me this AM that they would be out of masks in a hospital in up state NY where his daughter and her boyfriend another doctor both work....in five days . Hopefully they get needed supplies soon .

I don’t know how it is in NYC, but in Sweden hospitals haven’t had more than 2-3 days of supplies the last 2 weeks. I was kind of surprised when I saw a comment from Cuomo that they “only” had supplies for a week.

In today’s theorized economy all stocks are built on some sort of “just in time” thinking, that sucks when something like this happens...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've forgotten math, what is x in this formula? :)
x/(50+x)=30%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t know how it is in NYC, but in Sweden hospitals haven’t had more than 2-3 days of supplies the last 2 weeks. I was kind of surprised when I saw a comment from Cuomo that they “only” had supplies for a week.

In today’s theorized economy all stocks are built on some sort of “just in time” thinking, that sucks when something like this happens...

supplies in NYC hospitals are scarce. most nurses have to use their gowns and masks for an entire shift, which have been 12+ hours. i only have this information because I'm friends with a couple of nurses.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What would be ideal to know is what kind of hospitals are these that are running out of supplies. Are they public or private hospitals? There are a lot of conversations on how states/federal governments are getting supplies, but how are they being distributed once the state/federal government is getting them? There could be a breakdown there, especially when Cuomo and Trump are saying that equipment is available. Cuomo was literally sitting in front of tons of supplies during one of his pressers just recently.

While both may be true (lack of supplies overall and a breakdown in the distribution system), something will need to be updated is how this all happens. Lack of supplies should be on the federal government at this point, but distribution is on the states and local governments. The federal government cannot know which specific hospitals need supplies. There are too many nationwide to track those things individually.

Also, the leadership of these hospitals should be coming into question when this is all said and done and taking information on who was successful and who was not should be reviewed and a big lessons learned initiative should be undertaken as soon as the crisis aspect of this is settled.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
USNS Comfort arrived in NYC today.

1000 beds and 1,200 personnel.

Note: this is NOT for COVID-19 patients, but to relieve hospitals of other non-serious cases and make bed-space for COVID-19 patients.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
So my life hasn't really changed a bit ... I still have to show up at my job and am doing so for the past weeks. My buses still get me there. I'm tired.
Our little state hasn't been hit hard so far, although we're right next to the french "high-risk-zones".

But this is not what I actually wanted to post. Since my last post the situation in NYC has gone way out of control
and I want to let New Yorker's know that I think about you guys, hope you and your families are well and stay well!
I'm not gonna go into details about the way the US gov is handling this. Be strong and careful.

Ps.: I've read some things today, I would like some insight on:

1. the Feds actually have like 30k breathing machines on hold and POTUS is being a bitch about handing them out to NY?! (apparently over some beef with Cuomo).

2. there was an order for mouthgards for NY, but they got overbid at the last moment and the stock went to the highest bidder ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad