OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It definitely has a lot to do with the "f*** you I do what I want" American culture and as I've said, I'm not blaming one person and I don't know why people came up with that notion.

That said, it doesn't f***ing help when Trump is on tv daily acting like this is the chicken pox. He is -I cannot stress this enough- the president of the United States. His words matter and he's accountable for the way this country responds to a crisis.

I definitely blame the people...gov officials at the state and federal levels could/should have been smart enough to know that people were morons and been more strict forcing things to happen sooner, but ultimately what they have been telling people to do would be fine if people had common sense and listened.

Reactions: Metranger

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It definitely has a lot to do with the "f*** you I do what I want" American culture and as I've said, I'm not blaming one person and I don't know why people came up with that notion.

That said, it doesn't f***ing help when Trump is on tv daily acting like this is the chicken pox. He is -I cannot stress this enough- the president of the United States. His words matter and he's accountable for the way this country responds to a crisis.

I can't argue with this as I do wish his words would have been different than what he used. In saying that, I do feel that some of his actions taken have been solid.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Apparently a virus with no cure still doesn’t calculate for many. Meanwhile, the angry people found more ammo for the same target they keep missing.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I appreciate everyone's input on my mask question

I have come to the conclusion that me ordering masks now to come in June/July makes no sense, so no mask for me lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
upload_2020-4-2_17-9-19.png

If the reports are true that it in general takes 3 week to die for those that passes away, its around these dates that most that are dying the last few days caught Covid-19. Could be a positive sign towards things starting to look better since it was exactly 3 weeks ago they started to take the virus seriously?

Reactions: UnSandvich

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trump on Coronavirus:

Jan 22--'We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine'.
Feb 2--'We pretty much shut it down coming in from China'.
Feb 10--'dies with hotter weather'
Feb 12--'You know in April, supposedly (the virus) dies with the hotter weather'.
Feb 24--'The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA...stock market starting to look very good to me!'
Feb 25--'CDC and my administration are doing a great job of handling coronavirus'.
Feb 25--'I think that's a problem that's going to go away....They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we're very close to a vaccine'. He then went on to claim that in 2014 'nobody had ever heard of Ebola' and that the Ebola mortality rate 'was virtually 100%.'
Feb 26--he tells everyone that the coronavirus 'is a flu' and continues on with this prediction 'The 15 (cases) within a couple days is going to be down close to zero' when we were already up to 53 known cases. 'We're going substantially down, not up'--he said and then goes on to say 'the flu death rate is much higher than (taking a shot at a critic) Sanjay Gupta said'.
Feb 27--miracle day--'One day it's like a miracle....it will disappear'.
Feb 28--'We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical'. Later 'This is their new hoax' and 'We're totally prepared'.
Mar 2--'nobody knows the number of flu deaths' and a vaccine is 'coming relatively soon'. 'You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on Corona?'---'A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they're happening very rapidly'.
Mar 4--'If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands that get better just by, you know, sitting around and going to work---some of them go to work, but they get better.' Later he starts pointing the finger at Obama 'didn't do anything' for H1N1 and that Barack impeded testing, wrongly states that the 1990 flu killed 100,000 and wrongly says he thinks there was a coronavirus death in New York.
Mar 5--'I never said people that are sick should go to work'---'The United States....has, as of now, only 129 cases....and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep those numbers as low as possible' and that the virus only hit the US 'three weeks ago'.
Mar 6--(Azar saying there are no shortages of tests that day)--'I think we're doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down....a tremendous job at keeping it down'.....'Anybody right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They're there. And the tests are beautiful....the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good!'.....'I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it....Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this?' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for President'....'I don't need to have our numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault!'....'I didn't know people died from the flu! (Trump's own grandfather died from the flu). He goes on to say that the numbers in Italy are 'getting much better'--that our coronavirus numbers 'are lower than just about anybody' and that 'maybe' the coronavirus was improving US jobs numbers.
Mar 8--'We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on coronavirus'.
Mar 9--'This blindsided the World!'
Mar 13--'I take no responsibility.'---'National Emergency, two big words.'
Mar 15--'It's a very contagious virus, it's incredible, but it's something we have tremendous control of'.
Mar 16--'We've done a fantastic job from just about every standpoint'.---'We have a problem that, a month ago, nobody ever thought about' (he was first briefed on coronavirus in January).....speaking of his own coronavirus test 'I've been strongly tested'.
Mar 17--'I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a a pandemic'.
Mar 20---(after being asked by a reporter 'What do you say to Americans who are scared?)--'I say you're a terrible reporter, that's what I say. I think that's a very nasty question'. ......' I've been right a lot'....(on When will everyone who needs a coronavirus test be able to get a test?) 'No one is talking about this except you, which doesn't surprise me'.

So I'll cut off there--but really Trump's remarks on the virus were a joke from January on through the better part of March.
'Wrong side of history... You don't give a damn... collateral be damned. Choice and bed be made. Goodnight. Sleep tight.'

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Apparently a virus with no cure still doesn’t calculate for many. Meanwhile, the angry people found more ammo for the same target they keep missing.

Just from my perspective the idea of having a tube shoved down my throat for the last two/three weeks of my life just so I can breathe with little to no hope of it being pulled out is not the way I'd picture pegging out. Maybe it's just the same one way or the other how you die to you but I'd rather put a bullet in my head than go that way. The bullet would be messier but a lot quicker and without all the fuss or agony. All it might take for a person to be intubated is one asymptomatic or symptomatic contact and whether it's a family member or a friend, a business acquaintance, a co-worker, the sandwich guy at the deli, a Uber driver or just some random stranger that bounces off of you in the street the risk is there. This is why the social distancing and the shutdown of the economy and people sticking in their houses/apartments as much as possible.

Some of you guys aren't really thinking much about the nurses and doctors and other first responders that have had to deal with this for almost a month. They're getting sick too---they are more exposed because of people who don't want to listen and at least in NYC they're getting mentally and psychologically crushed with the day to day death count. It's a meatgrinder for them and it's chewing them up. People have their psychological breaking points. If you get sick you add to the problem--particularly if you get sick at a time the system is being overwhelmed.

.....and 'no cure' now doesn't mean no cure ever. I'll add though that it doesn't help that so many people are uninsured or underinsured because a lot of those people don't think they can afford a doctor's or a hospital visit. They're going to try to ride it out and if they got a job still to go to many of them are going to be out there and doing it and exposing others. This is another reason why everyone needs to be covered.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I've said before but I'll say again... as a now resident of FL... I think about everyone in NY and of course the other badly hit places around the world. It'll get here soon and our leadership in this state did nothing to mitigate it for anyone.

It's cliche but my thoughts and prayers go to everyone in NY and the healthcare workers everywhere who are getting pulverized

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Just from my perspective the idea of having a tube shoved down my throat for the last two/three weeks of my life just so I can breathe with little to no hope of it being pulled out is not the way I'd picture pegging out. Maybe it's just the same one way or the other how you die to you but I'd rather put a bullet in my head than go that way. The bullet would be messier but a lot quicker and without all the fuss or agony. All it might take for a person to be intubated is one asymptomatic or symptomatic contact and whether it's a family member or a friend, a business acquaintance, a co-worker, the sandwich guy at the deli, a Uber driver or just some random stranger that bounces off of you in the street the risk is there. This is why the social distancing and the shutdown of the economy and people sticking in their houses/apartments as much as possible.

Some of you guys aren't really thinking much about the nurses and doctors and other first responders that have had to deal with this for almost a month. They're getting sick too---they are more exposed because of people who don't want to listen and at least in NYC they're getting mentally and psychologically crushed with the day to day death count. It's a meatgrinder for them and it's chewing them up. People have their psychological breaking points. If you get sick you add to the problem--particularly if you get sick at a time the system is being overwhelmed.

.....and 'no cure' now doesn't mean no cure ever. I'll add though that it doesn't help that so many people are uninsured or underinsured because a lot of those people don't think they can afford a doctor's or a hospital visit. They're going to try to ride it out and if they got a job still to go to many of them are going to be out there and doing it and exposing others. This is another reason why everyone needs to be covered.

great post and thank you. Throughout this thread I have mention no “current” cure so missed that on this latest post.

Can’t put into words how amazing and brave those on the front line are. I have multiple friends in medical. I have no idea how they get through it. The good new is, many haven’t been infected by the virus. That does tell me washing your hands and not touching your face does work. (although airborne is still a risk or unknown risk imo).

As far as the general public, I have no idea why a small minority (which is still a lot of people) go about their day irresponsibility. Meanwhile, it’s nauseating to both listen and read this hatred and stupidity aimed at the one person at the top of the country since the last person was in-office. Comparing apples to oranges, fake news and hanging on every word while ignoring everything besides their own narrative. It’s virus with no current cure and nobody on the planet has been able to figure this out nor has this generation ever experienced anything like this despite a few LOUD ones staking claim to have all the answers.

There is a lot to fix and despite the outcry of emotion or irresponsible people this virus doesn’t care. We need to be responsible on our own and hope for a cure created by a real hero. Those claiming to have all the answers would be elsewhere if they actually had those answers IMO.

be safe all

Reactions: eco's bones

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

I'm glad you pulled through, man. truly.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
View attachment 340140

If the reports are true that it in general takes 3 week to die for those that passes away, its around these dates that most that are dying the last few days caught Covid-19. Could be a positive sign towards things starting to look better since it was exactly 3 weeks ago they started to take the virus seriously?

think about it this way what if he started saying this is very serious sooner it could have caused national panic. Its very easy to look back and criticize but when your in the moment making these decision no one has made in 100 yrs how would you handle it. you dont know what hes been planning behind closed door while playing it cool in the press.

Anyways im terrified and took the last 2 weeks off work (sick time) and just called my boss to see if i can take a leave of absence for 2 or 3 more weeks. Ill still be available for conference calls and what not but not going in. Im a conscruction engineer for an infastructure agency and am essential. but right now were in between projects and no field work going on until may so now would be a perfect time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do we have to look at the chart again?

The virus with no cure is significantly less infective literally everywhere else.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Just saw a report that Patriots owner Bob Kraft is flying in 1M N95 masks from China using the team's plane.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
think about it this way what if he started saying this is very serious sooner it could have caused national panic. Its very easy to look back and criticize but when your in the moment making these decision no one has made in 100 yrs how would you handle it. you dont know what hes been planning behind closed door while playing it cool in the press.

Anyways im terrified and took the last 2 weeks off work (sick time) and just called my boss to see if i can take a leave of absence for 2 or 3 more weeks. Ill still be available for conference calls and what not but not going in. Im a conscruction engineer for an infastructure agency and am essential. but right now were in between projects and no field work going on until may so now would be a perfect time.

There is a middle ground between not doing anything and causing a national panic. If he was doing stuff behind closed doors during the time frame when he was obviously downplaying it all publicly some of it would have come out by now. You think he would just be sitting there taking heat for doing nothing and not pointing out things he actually did? The one good thing he did do early, closing travel from China, was brought up by him over and over again. He is incapable of not trying to take credit for anything positive.

On a personal level, I am glad you are taking some time off. Stay safe!

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

As opposed to the national and economic panic now? There were warnings in 2017, warning last last year. His own defense department started raising flags and they were ignored. Guy held 11 rallies and played golf 9 times after late January. And there was no planning behind closed doors, if there were we wouldn't have governors competing against each other for equipment. For a country that spends close to 19% of GDP on healthcare our response to this has been nothing short of an embarrassment.

Reactions: Riche16 and Siddi

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I don't really agree with the notion that some people always say the incorrect thing but always is acting in a correct manner. If you say that something is a hoax made up by China to make you look bad, I believe that we should trust that the person saying that thing also to a certain extent acts as if that was the case.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I’m sure you believe the China stats, etc too

Someday you may supply a solution too

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes China's statistics.

Personally, I think Trump is receiving too much blame in areas where it doesn't matter and not enough blame in the areas it does matter. With that being said, it also isn't as if he hasn't done ANYTHING right.

You start with shutting down travel from China. He has received zero credit for this. He was called a racist, xenophobic and any other ist/ism that people love to hurl around these days with no consequence. There is no argument that it was the right move.

The problem?

He then sat on his ass for the next 6 weeks as if he expected that to solve the problem. Parts of Europe were still allowing travel from China which is why we saw Europe's numbers blow up first. We didn't shut off travel from Europe and still allowed people to come and go. We didn't close off travel from Europe until it was too late.

The masks issue. It is a factual statement to say that the shortage of masks is a result of inaction from the Obama administration after the swine flu epidemic. The only reason that the Obama administration had an appropriate number of masks was due to a supply increase from their predecessor's administration.

The problem?

As we saw this blowing up in China, if the government had been taking it more seriously and put a focus on getting large scale testing in place, I don't believe we would have nearly the number of cases that we have and the mask shortage would be significantly less of an issue. It may not be an issue at all.

I could honestly do this all day.

We were in such a great situation after all travel from China was closed off. We had an opportunity to really get ahead of this and limit the impact across the country. We were 1st and goal on the 1 yard line which resulted in three botched plays and then on 4th down we missed the field goal.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Here's something I want everyone to keep in mind.

My uncle is living with us currently. He's an essential worker so I try to avoid sustained contact with him as much as I can. At least he's being careful...to an extent. But here's my gripe: this dude is going to work with a mask and gloves, avoiding people like the plague (that idiom is losing it's muscle these days but stay with me), yelling at co-workers who aren't being careful enough, changing his clothes as soon as he walks in, and staying six feet away from everyone else in the house being that he's working. Again, great. He then proceeds to walk into the kitchen, grab his food, and start eating without washing his hands.

This is a pattern I've noticed. I've seen people touch their faces with the gloves they're wearing. I've seen people take the gloves off and then proceed without washing. I've seen people hold masks to their faces with dirty hands. People are so caught up in the panic and the procedures and all the new fancy things you have to do that they're forgetting the #1 most effective defense by leaps and bounds.

Sure, you should do those other things, but think of it as a hockey team. You need a full lineup to win but washing your hands is Wayne f***ing Gretzky and you're taking him out of the lineup.
The absolute first thing I do every time I return from outside (which I've got down to only one grocery store trip per week, plus the occasional curbside pickup to support my local restaurants).

My brother the ICU doc comes in from every shift, goes straight upstairs, strips naked, and jumps in the shower for ten minutes before he does ANYTHING else.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gardner- Ultimately I think the ban on travel from China will prove to have a very marginal/no impact, it was just waaaay too late. Italy was actually the first country to ban travel from China 4 days before the US did it, and they were hit the hardest in Europe. The virus was all over by the time they did it. Much of the virus in Italy can be tracked to either Finland or Germany, at a time those countries basically had none confirmed cases. It was already out. There is exponentially more travel between the US and China compared to China and Europe. If the virus was already spread in the US, which everything points at, then banning travel from China will prove to have had very little affect.

I don't think it was possible to put a lid on things early February.

I know that many experts said that it was naive thinking that the virus could be stopped really early when it started to get clear just how extremely easily it spread and how mild symptoms many had. They preached the message that we can delay it, which should be done, but forget about stopping it. It certainly seem like they were correct.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I'm sorry, do you really believe this to be a leadership problem or a problem ingrained in the American society that predates this administration? This is the PEOPLE not listening to proper advice.

Also, the comment on the governors from before, if your state governor, who is charge of MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, is that stupid an causing that much damage, then perhaps people should pay more attention to those political races and elect the right people. They are ELECTED officials.
why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Just saw a report that Patriots owner Bob Kraft is flying in 1M N95 masks from China using the team's plane.

I can't confirm but I heard he demanded 1M "Massage Therapists" be delivered as well...

The absolute first thing I do every time I return from outside (which I've got down to only one grocery store trip per week, plus the occasional curbside pickup to support my local restaurants).

My brother the ICU doc comes in from every shift, goes straight upstairs, strips naked, and jumps in the shower for ten minutes before he does ANYTHING else.

...that's a lot of happy birthday songs he has to sing in a row!

Also Leadership? Oof this isn't a good look:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad