OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
SOMEONE DID DO BETTER. The leaders of South Korea, the leaders of Japan.
The leaders of Japan haven’t done anything yet. (Well, very little).
The people of Japan have been pretty responsible, though. Mainly in terms of hygiene.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I feel like we (America) could have flattened the curve earlier, if we agreed to learn from Asian countries that dealt with SARS and MERS.

Instead we tried to reinvent the wheel. We're now 10% of global deaths despite 5% of the global population.

I am not blaming any single individual, agency, or party. I think this is largely a by-product of American Exceptionalism, where we expect issues to naturally affect us less and reject ideas we didn't think of first. If another country does something differently than us, it's not better because we're not doing it and we're the best.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
What I find almost incomprehensible is the Gov of Georgia saying today that he did not know that people could transmit the virus even if they were asymptomatic. How is this possible? Many on here knew this 3 weeks ago but a governor of a state doesn't? How is this possible?

Reactions: NYSPORTS

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not sure of its origins, but the word for idiots who still insist on going out or getting together with others are called:

Wait for it...

Covidiots

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
BATEAT.jpg

Reactions: Inferno and Ola

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
12/31/19 was the date that china announced the outbreak...they made it sound bad and everyone knows that they lie and therefore should have assumed whatever they said it was 100 times worse cause thats what china does...they could have started preparing then instead people made jokes and called it a hoax until the spread was too far to stop.

and this isn't a trump issue. stop trying to make it about trump. no one cares if you love him or hate him...leaders of nations all around the world didn't take this seriously and as it spread from one country to the next they waited to react until it hit their own countries (for the most part). I don't see how anyone can look at the way anyone has handle this in many country and not say in hindsight this should have been handled better.

but unless you have a time machine thats over and done with. what coulda, shoulda, woulda happened in jan doesn't matter. the only thing that matters is what is done now and going forward to do the best we can to prevent it from becoming worse...

Metranger

May 22, 2015
What I find almost incomprehensible is the Gov of Georgia saying today that he did not know that people could transmit the virus even if they were asymptomatic. How is this possible? Many on here knew this 3 weeks ago but a governor of a state doesn't? How is this possible?
And how about the asshat DiSantis of Florida signing an executive order today allowing churches and synagogues to circumvent the stay at home order and have open services and OVERRIDING a local city mayor should he want to close that for his or her city. Disgusting religious cow-towing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Found another mask place online, from Canada:
O2 Curve Mask 1.2 (White Shell)

Claims will deliver by end of April. Replaceable filters are rated PM2.5 which is similar to the N95 standard.

Looking at that link, the shell of the mask looks like a jock strap. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

C3NBeJr.jpg

What's great about this model are the filters, which solves an irritant with your conventional one-time use mask that users tend to reuse and who knows what chemicals they're using to clean their masks and how much of their filtering becomes compromised, the more you clean them.

You know it has to be Canadian since they couldn't just call the filters what they are -- they had to add the word "curved" in their description -- curved like a hockey stick.

And that jockstrap shell? Why is it offered in a color called "moonlight black"? It better not say "recycled" in the product description when you open the packaging, otherwise you might end up wondering what color it was before some junior player with poor hygiene, gave it up to the company for it to become a mask.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Looking at that link, the shell of the mask looks like a jock strap. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

C3NBeJr.jpg

What's great about this model are the filters, which solves an irritant with your conventional one-time use mask that users tend to reuse and who knows what chemicals they're using to clean their masks and how much of their filtering becomes compromised, the more you clean them.

You know it has to be Canadian since they couldn't just call the filters what they are -- they had to add the word "curved" in their description -- curved like a hockey stick.

And that jockstrap shell? Why is it offered in a color called "moonlight black"? It better not say "recycled" in the product description when you open the packaging, otherwise you might end up wondering what color it was before some junior player with poor hygiene, gave it up to the company for it to become a mask.

It wouldn't be the first time a few guys here have had a jock on their face.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
So some sort of goodish news. Spoke to my ICU doctor friend and asked him if its gotten worse since the last time we spoke or its about the same. He hesitated for a second and said about the same. So at least in his hospital, they haven't gotten any more overwhelmed than they were last week.

I'll take it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So some sort of goodish news. Spoke to my ICU doctor friend and asked him if its gotten worse since the last time we spoke or its about the same. He hesitated for a second and said about the same. So at least in his hospital, they haven't gotten any more overwhelmed than they were last week.

I'll take it.
Cuomo said yesterday that new discharges were higher than new admissions. Would be great if we can keep doing that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
After cleaning up this thread from what happened overnight, I stopped deleting when I hit 4 pages worth. At the rate we are going there will be about 9 posters left when hockey season resumes because almost no one can follow the rules. I don't want our board to lose some great people who simply can't contain themselves when discussing anything that touches the political realm.

Your politics are for facebook, twitter, etc. not here. I'm seeing more and more "well, I know who not to listen to once hockey season starts" kind of posts. That is beyond disappointing. People that you have known and held great conversations/debates with for years, all of the sudden have completely invalid opinions because you have a small inference that their political beliefs may not align with your own?

No. I am not going to let that happen. I am not going to let this board be yet another thing corrupted by the hyper-politicized world that we live in.

I'm going to leave this closed for a little while and then start a fresh COVID-19 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad