Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Just waiting for the NFL to make things official on their end.

With no sports I guess now is the right time to finally start binge watching Breaking Bad.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Just waiting for the NFL to make things official on their end.

With no sports I guess now is the right time to finally start binge watching Breaking Bad.

NFL? what are they doing?

And yes watch Breaking Bad, it is the greatest show of all time and I do not hesitate in saying that... you just gotta work your way through the first season.

Reactions: Sam Spade and Heath

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What exactly is the push for the NFL to do anything? Cancel all in person meetings and events, have front office/coaching staff work remote....business can still continue. They have no actual pending games forcing them to shut down.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Like I said on a russian sport site yesterday,

I think the big sports competitions (football in Europe, NHL) will take a break for a month.

And then when the panic goes down, they'll restart all.

I just hope NHL won't cancel any game.

Ovi must break the record + Win another Richard +Caps win the Cup

He's already won it, lets just start the playoffs ;)

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
My 2 cents: Don't blame "the media" for the news.

The media is a broad representation of mankind -- there's a flavor that represents everyone.

If you want to critique particular outlets for poor coverage or fear mongering, that's fair game. But as a member of the media, the idea that journalists en masse are just trying new ways to spark panic is BS. We cover the news. Coronavirus is news right now, whether you like it or not. It's as simple as that.

Getting angry at the media for some poor coverage by particular outlets or individuals is like getting angry at all doctors because you were misdiagnosed by the one in your hometown.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Alright. Everyone barricade themselves in their own homes wearing full hazmat suits.

Life as we know it has ended.
This is 100% not what anyone is saying. Jeebus. And btw, if people follow these measures and they work, then the whole thing will look like it wasn't a big deal after all. That's the best case scenario. That means the measures prevented wide-scale outbreak.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So your response to reason and facts is hyperbolic mockery? Why do I think your preconceived notions about "the media" are likely the #1 factor behind your theories? Let's have some hyperbolic analogy if we're going that route...

How about this...take a gun with 10 rounds and point it at your mother or grandmother. You know there are at least 1 or 2 live rounds. The rest are blanks. How do you feel about pulling the trigger?

I wish the CDC and the WHO was just as concerned about 5G technology. Then I might take them and the media (who for the most part have given it a free pass) more seriously. Coronovirus gets all the hype and 5G... *crickets*

Just like when the Caps play the Pens/Rangers, it's not the penalties that the refs call against the Caps as much as the penalties they don't call.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
As expected, AHL following suit with the NHL. No games for me this weekend either! Was looking forward to seeing the Marlies come to town tomorrow. Rarely get to see other teams prospects since Hershey plays teams in their division 8-12 times a year

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My 2 cents: Don't blame "the media" for the news.

The media is a broad representation of mankind -- there's a flavor that represents everyone.

If you want to critique particular outlets for poor coverage or fear mongering, that's fair game. But as a member of the media, the idea that journalists en masse are just trying new ways to spark panic is BS. We cover the news. Coronavirus is news right now, whether you like it or not. It's as simple as that.

Getting angry at the media for some poor coverage by particular outlets or individuals is like getting angry at all doctors because you were misdiagnosed by the one in your hometown.

Like x1000

Reactions: Todos a la Calle

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What exactly is the push for the NFL to do anything? Cancel all in person meetings and events, have front office/coaching staff work remote....business can still continue. They have no actual pending games forcing them to shut down.

Free agency, pro days and prospect visits to team facilities are usually conducted in person.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I teach my fellow employees to sing the ABC’s in their head while they wash their hands to ensure they wash for the required 20 seconds but “Pour some sugar on me” by Def Leppard works as well.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Like with global warming and any other potential danger, there are two options, broadly speaking: it’s serious, or it’s not.

You as an individual have only two options, broadly speaking, in response: take it seriously, or do nothing.

The worst case scenario is almost exclusively tied to doing nothing, it just makes no sense to mock anyone for recommending safety in a time like this.

for a hot minute I shrugged it off like any other modern flu I won’t experience, bird or swine or what have you, but we’re past that now. I don’t work with the elderly by trade but do work adjacent to a number of retirement communities, and elderly traffic is higher than normal. I shouldn’t need to see high risk people daily to be reminded that I should do my part, but it helps. Doing nothing is just senseless right now.

Reactions: g00n

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Like with global warming and any other potential danger, there are two options, broadly speaking: it’s serious, or it’s not.

You as an individual have only two options, broadly speaking, in response: take it seriously, or do nothing.

The worst case scenario is almost exclusively tied to doing nothing, it just makes no sense to mock anyone for recommending safety in a time like this.

for a hot minute I shrugged it off like any other modern flu I won’t experience, bird or swine or what have you, but we’re past that now. I don’t work with the elderly by trade but do work adjacent to a number of retirement communities, and elderly traffic is higher than normal. I shouldn’t need to see high risk people daily to be reminded that I should do my part, but it helps. Doing nothing is just senseless right now.

Global warming now? That's another kettle of fish. Lol.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Global warming now? That's another kettle of fish. Lol.
You’d be stupid to put them on the same level as threats. The similarity is in the logic behind preparing vs. doing nothing. Bitch and moan all you want but most of us don’t even notice the sweeping changes we’ve already made to be safer environmentally, and whether you believe it would have mattered or not the outcome is still ideal compared to the one where it mattered and we did nothing.

there’s basically a 1/4 chance that you’ll be able to point and mock the rest of us for taking this seriously when it didn’t matter, and the cost paid for being wrong in that manner screws more people than any other scenario.

Reactions: g00n

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
You’d be stupid to put them on the same level as threats. The similarity is in the logic behind preparing vs. doing nothing. Bitch and moan all you want but most of us don’t even notice the sweeping changes we’ve already made to be safer environmentally, and whether you believe it would have mattered or not the outcome is still ideal compared to the one where it mattered and we did nothing.

there’s basically a 1/4 chance that you’ll be able to point and mock the rest of us for taking this seriously when it didn’t matter, and the cost paid for being wrong in that manner screws more people than any other scenario.

Bitch and moan? Give it a rest, please.

If you want coronovirus to be taken seriously, the last thing you should do is compare it to "global warming" which is an absolute fear mongeting scam.

I do my part to take care of the environment that I live in. I don't believe in non scientific agenda driven claptrap.

As to coronovirus, I'll do my part to keep myself and others healthy, as I always do. No fear.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm a Science teacher/Athletic Director by day, and by night I'm extremely tired. I'm also a licensed Medical Technologist, but I haven't practiced in years. I would say 75% of my education was disease related. Now that my modest credentials are out of the way.

I believe there are 7 strands of coronavirus (including the current), as mentioned before, coronavirus has been around forever. It's very comparable to the flu in terms of symptoms. This new strand is being introduced to the human species for the first time ever. My numbers may be incorrect at this point but roughly 5,000 people have died and around 150k have been infected world wide. Of the 5k who have passed on around 85% have been over the age of 60. I think at this point we all know it's not going to destroy human civilization but no one wants to get sick, and the path to spreading would be at this virus's peak. Speaking as a former medical professional, there is a lot of hyperbole, but it takes 10 minutes to get educated on something like this as far as the public is concerned. I'm concerned for my grandmother and live in a state with an aged population. West Virginia still hasn't been touched but if it does (and it will soon), it could actually do some damage in this state. For what it's worth the flu can kill up to 650k people world wide in a year and typicall kills between 20k-40k in three month cycle on average.

As far as quality of life is concerned, the economic impact is going to trump the loss of life and health. Everyone over the age of 30 remembers West Nile, SARS, Swine Flu (Which is Flu A). To add to the list, I was much more concerned over Ebola because it had a 90% mortality rate at a point. If you think about it, we still don't have a vaccine for the Influenza and it has been around forever, just a shitty flu shot that makes me sick when I get it. This is just the latest, and it won't be the last. Everyone take the necessary sanitation and hygienic practices and we will get through this sooner than later. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. I'm sure someone around here is more qualified than me though.

I am pissed that there is no March Madness. Caps hockey will be ok though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad