Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
This absolutely may be / is a huge deal, a 10 on a 1-10 scale. But when the media has pretended that every 1, 2, 3, 5, and even 0 is a 10 over the last few years I don’t blame anyone for not buying in.

This is a classic boy who cried wolf scenario and now that the wolf is actually here half the village doesn’t believe him.

So sure, all the doubters are fools in some people’s opinions, but they got there for a very good reason.

Make a big deal about something because it actually is a big deal, not because you want it to be. Because when something actually is a big deal too many people aren’t going to believe you. Unfortunately that is where we are now, and IMO it isn’t the nonbelievers fault.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm a Science teacher/Athletic Director by day, and by night I'm extremely tired. I'm also a licensed Medical Technologist, but I haven't practiced in years. I would say 75% of my education was disease related. Now that my modest credentials are out of the way.

I believe there are 7 strands of coronavirus (including the current), as mentioned before, coronavirus has been around forever. It's very comparable to the flu in terms of symptoms. This new strand is being introduced to the human species for the first time ever. My numbers may be incorrect at this point but roughly 5,000 people have died and around 150k have been infected world wide. Of the 5k who have passed on around 85% have been over the age of 60. I think at this point we all know it's not going to destroy human civilization but no one wants to get sick, and the path to spreading would be at this virus's peak. Speaking as a former medical professional, there is a lot of hyperbole, but it takes 10 minutes to get educated on something like this as far as the public is concerned. I'm concerned for my grandmother and live in a state with an aged population. West Virginia still hasn't been touched but if it does (and it will soon), it could actually do some damage in this state. For what it's worth the flu can kill up to 650k people world wide in a year and typicall kills between 20k-40k in three month cycle on average.

As far as quality of life is concerned, the economic impact is going to trump the loss of life and health. Everyone over the age of 30 remembers West Nile, SARS, Swine Flu (Which is Flu A). To add to the list, I was much more concerned over Ebola because it had a 90% mortality rate at a point. If you think about it, we still don't have a vaccine for the Influenza and it has been around forever, just a shitty flu shot that makes me sick when I get it. This is just the latest, and it won't be the last. Everyone take the necessary sanitation and hygienic practices and we will get through this sooner than later. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. I'm sure someone around here is more qualified than me though.

I am pissed that there is no March Madness. Caps hockey will be ok though.

From what I've read it's believed COVID -19 is similar to other coronaviruses in terms of transmissibility but more problematic due to the duration in the body/waste (possibly up to 5 weeks) and onset of the contagious period (days before symptoms develop). Isolating symptomatic patients does little because asymptomatic people are thought to be spreading the disease.

This is why it has such potential to spread and why cavalier attitudes about it are potentially dangerous. Waiting until you feel sick to take it seriously is bad for you and bad for people around you.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't see how they could fairly or realistically do distance / online learning for schools. Lower income students may not have a home computer that meets minimum software requirements (or one at all), and many families, especially in rural areas and in lower-income neighborhoods, don't have access to reliable high-speed internet.

Cancelling school / moving it remotely is pretty devastating for single parents who have to work to put food on the table. If they have no family or support in the area they could be faced with staying home with their kids and not earning a living or leaving their kids alone to earn money. It's also rough for a lot of students and families who depend on free/subsidized breakfast and lunch. And you have to feel for all of the hourly workers / service industry workers who will be severely impacted financially by all of these sport and event cancellations.

As usual, the people who can least afford to be affected by this will be the ones most affected. Sad.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
lots of good posts in here. good luck finding toilet paper, cleaning supplies, or medicine for the next couple of weeks.

if you get stuck at home, tissue paper and newspaper (ouch!) double as toilet paper. buy yourself a nice bulk bag of rice and flour. cheap stable food for months.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
lots of good posts in here. good luck finding toilet paper, cleaning supplies, or medicine for the next couple of weeks.

if you get stuck at home, tissue paper and newspaper (ouch!) double as toilet paper. buy yourself a nice bulk bag of rice and flour. cheap stable food for months.

Pro tip, buy a nice electric bidet, with a heater. You'll never need toilet paper again, and your bung hole will love you forever.

Its the only way to ride out the apocalypse with spectacular hygiene.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I have a good friend that has travelled to the Indian state of Mizoram around 15 times. He has been involved in a program to eradicate malaria in the state. Through his and others efforts, malarial deaths have dropped to the single digits per year. He uses a plant that he grows to treat it and prevent it.

From his work, he has found that the WHO has been nothing but a hindrance, to put it politely.

Malaria kills over 1 million people a year and yet there doesn’t seem to be any political will to effectively deal with it.

“There is a wide range of estimates for the total number of deaths caused by malaria, but the World Health Organisation generally reports “around a million” deaths each year from the disease, out of somewhere between 300-500 million cases. In total, it is estimated that 3.3 billion people are at risk from malaria, which is almost half the world’s population!”

Annual Malaria Deaths – MALARIA.com

Why isn’t there a hue and outcry and prompt action against malaria as there is coronovirus?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Flour has been sold out for several days. Standard practice for me to buy 25 pound bag of rice, and just happened to get that last week.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I have a good friend that has travelled to the Indian state of Mizoram around 15 times. He has been involved in a program to eradicate malaria in the state. Through his and others efforts, malarial deaths have dropped to the single digits per year. He uses a plant that he grows to treat it and prevent it.

From his work, he has found that the WHO has been nothing but a hindrance, to put it politely.

Malaria kills over 1 million people a year and yet there doesn’t seem to be any political will to effectively deal with it.

“There is a wide range of estimates for the total number of deaths caused by malaria, but the World Health Organisation generally reports “around a million” deaths each year from the disease, out of somewhere between 300-500 million cases. In total, it is estimated that 3.3 billion people are at risk from malaria, which is almost half the world’s population!”

Why isn’t there a hue and outcry and prompt action against malaria as there is coronovirus?
This was answered earlier. We have treatments for malaria. It's localized to developing parts of the world.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well, color me pissed. What am I supposed to do with my free time? Knit? Make pottery?

ghost-pottery-gif-10.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m very happy my 3 young kids aren’t in the danger zone. I’m scared to death for my Mom (years of asthma has built up scar tissue in her lungs that make her a massive risk at the age of 74), and am also concerned for my father and my wife’s parents. I’m 50 so I don’t have any grandparents left.

I’m also scared about the markets and what it means to my retirement nest egg and of course the money set aside for my kids futures.

Those are MY real issues and concerns.

I also believe the media has made things a lot worse over the years simply to keep themselves relevant and to make $$$.

that said, those 2 mindsets are not dependent on each other. At all.

and I’m scared of the COVID-19 virus, and I don’t scare easily. I hope it’s an unnecessary fear. But it’s far too possible that it isn’t.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
One more note.

to me, this is the very worst blending of 9/11 and the financial crisis from 07.

You have a terrible event that comes on fast, kills people, allows for a lot of misinformation to be spread, has a long lasting effect that we don’t even fathom yet, and creates massive amounts of fear and BOTH over and under reaction.

this is the worst thing I have seen in my 50yrs, right now.....and I’m a pragmatic sound thinking man. I’m not an alarmist.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Because it mostly affects hot countries and brown/black people. If it were Europe instead there would be an outcry. Sad but true.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I’m very happy my 3 young kids aren’t in the danger zone. I’m scared to death for my Mom (years of asthma has built up scar tissue in her lungs that make her a massive risk at the age of 74), and am also concerned for my father and my wife’s parents. I’m 50 so I don’t have any grandparents left.

I’m also scared about the markets and what it means to my retirement nest egg and of course the money set aside for my kids futures.

I also believe the media has made things a lot worse over the years simply to keep themselves relevant and to make $$$.

and I’m scared of the COVID-19 virus, and I don’t scare easily. I hope it’s an unnecessary fear. But it’s far too possible that it isn’t.

Well said. I have similar issues and concerns. Both parents in their 80's and one has a history of struggling to fight off colds and flu. I spoke to my father this morning and said my children and I won't be visiting them until we know more about how this unfolds over the next few weeks. (ie: I have no idea if my kids and / or myself has it and I don't want to risk infecting my parents).
As for the retirement $$$, I stopped looking three days ago when I'd already lost 7 percent. I expect it's considerably more since then.
Finally, no hockey makes me sad. Several times I've gone to check scores and been like "oops I forgot. Boo!"

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

I am concerned about my mother, too. I hope your mother will remain safe.

Yes, the economic impact from this could be enormous. The supply chain has been severely impacted and individual people that live paycheque to paycheque could be in serious trouble.

Plus, as you said in your other post, there is under and over reaction to this and a level of fear that is palpable. The media has some responsibility in this.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, I’ll be praying for you and your mother. (and others on this forum. I do care about you guys.) When things go haywire, there’s a shelter in the storm.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reactions: Heath

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
From what I've read it's believed COVID -19 is similar to other coronaviruses in terms of transmissibility but more problematic due to the duration in the body/waste (possibly up to 5 weeks) and onset of the contagious period (days before symptoms develop). Isolating symptomatic patients does little because asymptomatic people are thought to be spreading the disease.

This is why it has such potential to spread and why cavalier attitudes about it are potentially dangerous. Waiting until you feel sick to take it seriously is bad for you and bad for people around you.

Yes, you are correct. From what I've read myself you may not show symptoms until you've had it for anywhere between 9-14 days, and for elderly patients, it will be too late I believe--and that seems to be the case. Patients who recover, this does strengthen their immune system moving forward, even for older patients.

Coronavirus was so insignificant when I was studying for my associates that we didn't even touch on it. I didn't learn about it until I was getting my Bachelors in MT. I'm not a religious man, but I do hope everyones' families end up safe and healthy. I think everyone in here has a pretty good understand of the actual virus, the disagreements seem to be on the media, and I personally think the media has overblown it, but not purposefully. It is what it is.

My sister lives in Connecticut and she has told me many people are freaking out. I have a consultant I work with from Philadelphia, and she told me today that many people in Philly are freaking out too. Better to be too cautious than not cautious enough. We just cancelled our state basketball tournament and Spring Sports in our state. We just need to be safe and hold the line. They will develop a vaccination before the years up, in my opinion. They always tell the public it's going to be longer than it is just to set expectations.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm a Science teacher/Athletic Director by day, and by night I'm extremely tired. I'm also a licensed Medical Technologist, but I haven't practiced in years. I would say 75% of my education was disease related. Now that my modest credentials are out of the way.

I believe there are 7 strands of coronavirus (including the current), as mentioned before, coronavirus has been around forever. It's very comparable to the flu in terms of symptoms. This new strand is being introduced to the human species for the first time ever. My numbers may be incorrect at this point but roughly 5,000 people have died and around 150k have been infected world wide. Of the 5k who have passed on around 85% have been over the age of 60. I think at this point we all know it's not going to destroy human civilization but no one wants to get sick, and the path to spreading would be at this virus's peak. Speaking as a former medical professional, there is a lot of hyperbole, but it takes 10 minutes to get educated on something like this as far as the public is concerned. I'm concerned for my grandmother and live in a state with an aged population. West Virginia still hasn't been touched but if it does (and it will soon), it could actually do some damage in this state. For what it's worth the flu can kill up to 650k people world wide in a year and typicall kills between 20k-40k in three month cycle on average.

As far as quality of life is concerned, the economic impact is going to trump the loss of life and health. Everyone over the age of 30 remembers West Nile, SARS, Swine Flu (Which is Flu A). To add to the list, I was much more concerned over Ebola because it had a 90% mortality rate at a point. If you think about it, we still don't have a vaccine for the Influenza and it has been around forever, just a shitty flu shot that makes me sick when I get it. This is just the latest, and it won't be the last. Everyone take the necessary sanitation and hygienic practices and we will get through this sooner than later. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. I'm sure someone around here is more qualified than me though.

I am pissed that there is no March Madness. Caps hockey will be ok though.

1. What do you make of different mortality rates? I feel like South Korea is most accurate due to sheer number of tests relative to population and their numbers seem encouraging

2. Do you think mortality rate is overstated due to sheer number of people who probably have it but haven't been tested? I get the impression we're only seeing the sickest tip of the iceberg (what it probably takes to get tested) most of which is flu or milder

3. How do you think this compares to swine flu 10 years ago? That was at 40 million infected/12 thousand dead in the US and compared to this no one cared

4. Do you think the moral panic over it will kill more people (suicide/heart attacks from stress of layoffs, etc) than the actual virus? (seems you made this point)

My thoughts are at this point put the elders into bunkers and let society ride it out making sure life goes on. Right now we're getting the worst end of everything. If every death from the flu/auto accidents/heart disease went on a big flashing screen and got round the clock news coverage it would be freaky as hell too

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
This is a really good podcast and well worth listening to if you want to hear from somebody who has actual knowledge about viruses etc (he works at Johns Hopkins as an infectious disease specialist):

Making Sense Podcast #191 - Early Thoughts on a Pandemic | Sam Harris

With regards to the above post from @Kuznetsnow - it answers questions 1, 2 and 3.

Fatality rate is most likely to be 0.6 percent (this is taken from South Korean stats where they have a lot of people being tested so they are getting much more accurate rates of those who are infected)
Mortality rate IS overstated because in most countries they have no idea how many people are infected, so they are using "officially tested and infected" to derive a mortality rate, and not including those who have it but haven't been tested, etc.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Part of the problem is that you just cannot trust anything the Chinese communist government says. Any statistics or information they put out should be automatically suspect.

You are absolutely right my friend. That is why the guy in the podcast says they are using South Korean data for modelling and projections, and not the Chinese figures.
If you look at the Chinese stats they are only claiming another 500 new cases per day. In a country with 1.386 billion people that is impossibly low.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad