Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
1. What do you make of different mortality rates? I feel like South Korea is most accurate due to sheer number of tests relative to population and their numbers seem encouraging

2. Do you think mortality rate is overstated due to sheer number of people who probably have it but haven't been tested? I get the impression we're only seeing the sickest tip of the iceberg (what it probably takes to get tested) most of which is flu or milder

3. How do you think this compares to swine flu 10 years ago? That was at 40 million infected/12 thousand dead in the US and compared to this no one cared

4. Do you think the moral panic over it will kill more people (suicide/heart attacks from stress of layoffs, etc) than the actual virus? (seems you made this point)

My thoughts are at this point put the elders into bunkers and let society ride it out making sure life goes on. Right now we're getting the worst end of everything. If every death from the flu/auto accidents/heart disease went on a big flashing screen and got round the clock news coverage it would be freaky as hell too

I agree with all your inclinations.

1. The United States--despite knowing about the coronavirus for months in advanced--was completely unprepared for this. People can compare coronavirus to the flu as far as mortality rates, but the bottom line is the flu seems to vary year to year, based on which one of the variations of the flu attacks people. The flu shot is a crap-shoot too for those of you who were wondering. Unless things have changed, the flu shot is one of the two types they expect to run rampant for that particular "flu season" and there are 4 types of flu with multiple variations. However Flu D hasn't affected people yet, to my knowledge. I digress. I think the mortality rate will drop world wide as we go deeper. In roughly five months only 150k cases, who knows how many cases have been unreported. SK has less than 1% mortality rate and I figure at the end of the day, the final mortality rate for Covid-19 will be below 2% and possibly less than 1%. South Korea has been on the ball too, and so has Japan. I think looking at those two countries will give you an accurate assessment of the actual possible damage that can be done in the United STate.s

2. Yes, I believe that is the case, and I sort of explained why in number 1. People who are immuno-compromised are almost always going to pass on to an infection whether it be the flu or pneumonia. Once the number of cases continues to grow, the number of deaths I think will go down, it usually always does in this pandemic cases. China has indicated that it has already peaked in their country, where it started, who knows with China honestly, but that probably is the case. Based on the current trajactory, I would be shocked to see the deaths of Covid-19 top 25k for this calendar year.

3. Swine Flu lasted for close to two years. Estimates suggest atleast 1 billion people had contracted it with a large range of 150k-650k deaths attributed world wide. Again, it goes back to killing elderly populations, whom, in many cases an accurate cause of death can be convoluted due to many afflictions. Even with the larger number the mortality rate was less than 1%. The Swine Flu was also the same strand that causes the Spanish Flu 90 years before which wiped out a lot of people. I think, without a doubt, Swine flu will have killed many more people that Covid-19. So, I would tend to agree that the Swine Flu should have been taken more serious than coronavirus, and I also agree that the media is overblowing it. I think social media has a huge amount of influence as to why. We're in such a different world now than we used to be, information traveled fast then, but even faster now. I remember I was in college then I was around 22, and no one was sweating Swine Flu, and to me, historically it will be way worse than Covid-19. However, as I said in my previous post, Covid-19 will and has cause WAY more damage to the economy than any pandemic thing I can remember.

4. My girlfriend suffers from extreme anxiety, and so does her mother. She is not worried at all, but her mother definitely is stressed to the max (her mother is around 50 years of age). It's very possible that the stress, and possibly ignorant decisions made by people will be responsible for thousands of deaths. I don't think it will topple the number of fatalities due to the virus, but I've never seen such widespread panic. This is the worst pandemic of my lifetime. I'm almost 33, so as far back as I can remember was about 2000 when West Nile Virus was making everyone scared of mosquitoes.

Man, you're definitely not wrong. I remember when Swine Flu was big, one of the first things I remember hearing was the number of deaths compared to the regular flu and the regular flu always kill more people than we would like to think. I think that helps keep it into perspective for most people. The elderly definitely need to stay in, and everyone else needs to take the right precautions, but I see no reason to not continue to live your life. I also don't believe the media thought this was going to explode like it has, that's why I say I don't believe it purposefully hyped it up to the point of literal mass hysteria.

Heath made some good points, and I'm going to listen to that podcast tomorrow. I'm a huge fan of Sam Harris, anyways. Having been an MLT for 2 years and an MT for 2 years and as an MT working with a pathologist, I was able to see some crazy stuff sometimes. I feel like this is bad because we don't have an answer, but overall, people should still be more worried about heart disease and cancer, and it's not even close.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Part of the problem is that you just cannot trust anything the Chinese communist government says. Any statistics or information they put out should be automatically suspect.

Numbers sure but you can make judgments on how it's trending based on their behaviors.

Also the fact that they take bites of chewable air in between smoking like chimneys should logically skew their mortality rate to shit.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
You are absolutely right my friend. That is why the guy in the podcast says they are using South Korean data for modelling and projections, and not the Chinese figures.
If you look at the Chinese stats they are only claiming another 500 new cases per day. In a country with 1.386 billion people that is impossibly low.

Yes, I understand that. South Korea is much more reliable.

I wasn’t referring to the article as much as making a general statement. It’s hard to know exactly what’s going on and the media isn’t helping.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

I wasn’t referring to the article as much as making a general statement. It’s hard to know exactly what’s going on and the media isn’t helping.

Oh yeah I know what you meant. I was agreeing with your general statement. I do not trust their government at all.
Then again I don't know if I trust any government when it comes to matters of making competent decisions that are in the best interests of their taxpaying citizens :laugh:

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Well that is because the South Korean government takes a very active role in healthcare and healthcare coverage within the country. Healthcare is free to all with universal coverage. And even if I get sick over there (I'm a US Citizen), costs are much much cheaper than over here in the States. The government over there handles the health and well-being of their people like it's their job.

That makes it really easy to get everyone tested. There is no confusion. No fees. No worries about whether you are covered. Testing is available everywhere. Quick in and out.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well that is because the South Korean government takes a very active role in healthcare and healthcare coverage within the country. Healthcare is free to all with universal coverage. And even if I get sick over there (I'm a US Citizen), costs are much much cheaper than over here in the States. The government over there handles the health and well-being of their people like it's their job.

That makes it really easy to get everyone tested. There is no confusion. No fees. No worries about whether you are covered. Testing is available everywhere. Quick in and out.

They also allegedly didn't screw around before acting decisively to contain and handle.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
They also allegedly didn't screw around before acting decisively to contain and handle.

I agree, but to be fair, Korea is right next to China with a huge amount of travel from both sides. I think if Canada or Mexico had a major outbreak of some sort, Americans would take it much more seriously.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree, but to be fair, Korea is right next to China with a huge amount of travel from both sides. I think if Canada or Mexico had a major outbreak of some sort, Americans would take it much more seriously.

It sounds like you are making excuses. I think its possible that we find out that the lack of action was on purpose in order to avoid certain things....avoiding politics here

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think its possible that we find out that the lack of action was on purpose in order to avoid certain things....avoiding politics here

I love how for so many if the government screws the pooch it has to be for nefarious reasons instead of the far more likely one, simple incompetence.

Anyone who has directly supported the federal government in any way likely has a laundry list of stories of unbelievable ridiculousness and knows that this is just par for the course.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
It sounds like you are making excuses. I think its possible that we find out that the lack of action was on purpose in order to avoid certain things....avoiding politics here

Nah not an excuse. Have you walked around the city of Seoul? There are so many Chinese tourists everywhere. Literally everywhere. Or there used to be. And Koreans go right across the Yellow Sea for business all the time. Their biggest trade partner. It's just a fact that the risks for contagion of any type to spread from China is very high. Of course with those high risks, you have to plan accordingly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I love how for so many if the government screws the pooch it has to be for nefarious reasons instead of the far more likely one, simple incompetence.

Anyone who has directly supported the federal government in any way likely has a laundry list of stories of unbelievable ridiculousness and knows that this is just par for the course.

You can pm me if you want to talk about this. Don't give me the "I love how...." when you have no idea what I am talkin about

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You can pm me if you want to talk about this. Don't give me the "I love how...." when you have no idea what I am talkin about

Thanks but I’m good.

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, you could simply explain to all of us what you are talking about.

And to keep with the I love theme, I love the alluding to something, not explaining it in any way, and then yelling at someone who apparently had the gall to get whatever you were alluding to incorrect. Since you had to give up racing have you taken up being a puppet master or something?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Yes. I lived there for 6 1/2 years, myself. The health care system is pretty good.

Reactions: tenken00

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart

It's not really about personal risk to YOU so much as how the system as a whole can handle the load.
Canceled events, sports, etc doesn’t mean anything when NYC subway and dc metro stay open.

18,000 people in a arena is nothing compared to 18,000 people every 30 mins on a subway...

people in nyc are telling me they’re noticing zero difference. People walking down the streets and acting normal.

If all they’re doing is limiting people for paid events - it’s not going to stop anything. Now when subways, airports, and trains are still able to go as normal domestically

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Canceled events, sports, etc doesn’t mean anything when NYC subway and dc metro stay open.

18,000 people in a arena is nothing compared to 18,000 people every 30 mins on a subway...

people in nyc are telling me they’re noticing zero difference. People walking down the streets and acting normal.

If all they’re doing is limiting people for paid events - it’s not going to stop anything. Now when subways, airports, and trains are still able to go as normal domestically

Good thing there's only one NYC.

Some essential systems have to keep running. Sporting events are elective and just add to the taxation on the system. That was the point of the article. It's not about isolating everyone entirely or hitting on a perfect solution.

Do you have some events that have been cancelled?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I can't believe you really can't find toilet paper anywhere. In stores or online. Not even Amazon. I thought it was all a joke. What the hell.

Reactions: Heath

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well San Francisco has essentially shut down almost entirely, virtually all major employers are sending people to work from home.

So in few months we'll see how that all plays out. Its unlikely NYC will be spared the CV, its just more likely they haven't been hit hard yet, key emphasis, yet.

I suspect they will shut down when they see exponential cases reported daily, until then, those subways are the perfect pathway for the people who are contagious already but have no symptoms and don't even know they are shedding the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad