Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Part of the problem with the urgency created by a pandemic is that a lot of the studies get rushed, and inevitably quality can become compromised. If the theory that the new variants are in fact more deadly holds true, it sucks and only increases the urgency. I read that study, and while its numbers look startling, its lacking a lot of the controls usually established and its sample sizes aren't relatively large. Its also actually just a compilation of a lot of much smaller reporting sets and not all the data agrees. One example:

SGTF is the new variant and in this data set there is no statistical difference. Obviously, more data and more studies are needed.

I posted links earlier with health officials saying "rushed" is not accurate. Maybe there was more speed in approval and processing but are you aware of flaws in the phase 1-3 trials themselves for the major vaccines?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Honest question: Is the "South African" variant being used as a derogatory term, or attached to conspiracy theories about its origin there, or is the SA government involved in an attempt to hide information about its discovery there? Is anything like "Kung flu" being tagged by, say, POTUS, to the SA variant?

Some of these things are not like the other.
I didn’t use “Kung Flu”. I am talking about referring to COVID by the location it originated. Wuhan virus or China virus. It was taboo to do that but now not so much.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I've had doctors tell me in the exam room that the vaccine doesn't prevent the flu but makes the symptoms milder. And I've read the same thing about Rona vaccines. fwiw
A co-worker of mine was hospitalized for 4 days and diagnosed with having COVID and the flu at the same time.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’ll bro you any time I want. Pay attention next time. You decided to call me out after everyone was playing nice.

My 50% comment was in regard to the children’s vaccine. Many other errors in your response also, but I won’t waste more time while you play catch up.

Thanks again for playing Dave.

Went back and looked for where I "called you out" by using a derogatory term for you or other insult... didn't find that anywhere apart from responding to your "bro" but please continue acting like a child. There, I actually did call you out.

Your 50% comment is still not relevant. Its about choosing between options, not "to get one or not to get one". There' all caught up.

Finally if you think everyone was playing nice then you really weren't paying attention at all.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Thats not entirely how it works. 25% effective is because there are so many variants of seasonal flu, there is a 25% chance the one you are vaccinated against is the one you contact, not because there is a only 25% chance it will protect against a specific variant that was was designed from.
Yes it is how it works according to my professor of nursing mother. I’ll take her word on it.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I posted links earlier with health officials saying "rushed" is not accurate. Maybe there was more speed in approval and processing but are you aware of flaws in the phase 1-3 trials themselves for the major vaccines?

Fine, sorry to use the word "rushed". Approved in record time would be more accurate. It still raises some concerns, but not trying to suggest I think the approved vaccines are unsafe, that was never my intention.

If there's any flaw it's that long term impacts (both effectiveness and adverse effects) have not been studied and that's usually part of any vaccine protocol.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Went back and looked for where I "called you out" by using a derogatory term for you or other insult... didn't find that anywhere apart from responding to your "bro" but please continue acting like a child. There, I actually did call you out.

Your 50% comment is still not relevant. Its about choosing between options, not "to get one or not to get one". There' all caught up.

catch up before you come in stirring up crap a day late to the conversation. Enjoy your Sunday.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is not even close to the same thing. It was being called the "china virus" in an attempt to deflect any responsibility at home and create a xenophobic attitude toward the whole thing. People were even claiming it was made in a lab or intentionally released (including in these threads). The variant naming is simply for identifying the strains by the regions they came from and there is no difference in treatment from any political side or the media (meaning there's no globally accepted and medically correct name the rest of the world is using but one party/media source is not).

The WaPost Editorial Board thinks the lab angle should still be investigated.

The laboratory leak possibility is unproved, but has attracted attention because researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology were conducting “gain of function” research on bat coronaviruses similar to the virus that triggered the global pandemic. This research can be dangerous and involves modifying genomes to give viruses new properties. The institute has a large collection of virus samples and sequences that are contained in databases that might offer clues to the virus origins, and a possible laboratory source. The WHO visited the institute, where it was assured that the pandemic virus did not come from its laboratories. Such a reassurance is entirely insufficient. The WHO needs to know more. Its director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said Feb. 12 that no hypothesis was being ruled out, and suggested that more experts might be added to the team. This is a good idea. Even better would be to establish a new team with the right skills to drill down on the unanswered questions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...b-ba56-d7e2c8defa31_story.html?outputType=amp

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fine, sorry to use the word "rushed". Approved in record time would be more accurate. It still raises some concerns, but not trying to suggest I think the approved vaccines are unsafe, that was never my intention.

If there's any flaw it's that long term impacts (both effectiveness and adverse effects) have not been studied and that's usually part of any vaccine protocol.

Understood. I'm being persnickity about it because there seems to be an active FUD campaign and "it was rushed" is being used to imply it's not safe.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Let them investigate further. This paragraph came before the one you quoted:

upload_2021-2-14_11-56-47.png

So there's no record of this anywhere. Nothing. So for it to be some successful conspiracy then China would have had to have covered up 100% of the financing, evidence, samples, witnesses, and other loose ends related to the virus' manufacture, AND somehow managed to create a viral anomaly that other researchers have concluded could only come from natural mutation in the wild.

It's 99.99% sure to be a dipshit conspiracy theory that "should be investigated further" in the opinion of people who are paranoid about it, and those who are either completionists or are placating the aforementioned groups.

This Chinese plot angle is a perfect example of one-sided political slant being applied as the people who are forwarding this narrative are generally also obsessed with China and the media sources they frequent, who are also going on non-stop about Chinese boogeymen.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t think there is any “Chinese Conspiracy” going on. At all.

That said, I don’t trust a single thing that comes out of their governmental propaganda machine. I’m sure some of it is true, but it’s mixed w so many lies (like about how many died from COVID), that it’s simply easiest to believe none of it.

And of course, Russia. But we don’t need to get into that.

and I do see @WetHog ’s point about the Wahun Flu being seen as “racist”, but now the UNited Kingdom, Brazilian, and South African strains are all “ok” to be named after those countries. Hypocrisy at its best.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Let them investigate further. This paragraph came before the one you quoted:

View attachment 396286

So there's no record of this anywhere. Nothing. So for it to be some successful conspiracy then China would have had to have covered up 100% of the financing, evidence, samples, witnesses, and other loose ends related to the virus' manufacture, AND somehow managed to create a viral anomaly that other researchers have concluded could only come from natural mutation in the wild.

It's 99.99% sure to be a dipshit conspiracy theory that "should be investigated further" in the opinion of people who are paranoid about it, and those who are either completionists or are placating the aforementioned groups.

This Chinese plot angle is a perfect example of one-sided political slant being applied as the people who are forwarding this narrative are generally also obsessed with China and the media sources they frequent, who are also going on non-stop about Chinese boogeymen.

I don’t believe it’s a diabolical conspiracy by China to release COVID on the world. I do believe it is possible it was being researched in a lab, a technician got infected and that’s how this whole mess started.

I also recently watched a Frontline episode on COVID about how China botched warning the world about COVID like China did with SARS 10 or so years ago.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I’ve been taking vitamin D and C supplements since I heard Joe Rogan talk about their benefits in relation to COVID back in April or May. Maybe that’s why my case of COVID was mild? If so, thanks Joe Rogan.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t think there is any “Chinese Conspiracy” going on. At all.

That said, I don’t trust a single thing that comes out of their governmental propaganda machine. I’m sure some of it is true, but it’s mixed w so many lies (like about how many died from COVID), that it’s simply easiest to believe none of it.

And of course, Russia. But we don’t need to get into that.

and I do see @WetHog ’s point about the Wahun Flu being seen as “racist”, but now the UNited Kingdom, Brazilian, and South African strains are all “ok” to be named after those countries. Hypocrisy at its best.

It's not hypocrisy.

There are several variants now that have to this date been mostly problems for specific areas as we track the spread of each. It's natural to name the regional variants and there's no apparent animosity involved in doing so. Nor is there any political or other association attached. Everyone says it, globally, regardless of politics.

Not so for the first version. The only person calling it the Chinese or Wuhan Flu or whatever (it's not a flu) was the POTUS and he was doing so to deflect blame, diminish the threat, and point to the usual Chinese boogeyman. The name was also being used by people who forwarded notions about it being a bio weapon or made in a lab despite no evidence for that.

The Chinese/Wuhan names were tinged with racial animosity but were mostly political, imo. There's none of that in the variant identifications which again seem to be globally accepted.

Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad