Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that’s right….nobody said everyone.

In this system you can and many have pulled themselves out of bad circumstances with an idea or work ethic or both together. Not everyone can. Not everyone has the confidence to risk on their idea or the drive to give up a lesser sure thing and personal time to make that idea fly. Some people are presented with family or health situations that make it harder yet.

But I forget. I am an elitist.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Dude. You are doing that thing. I know its disputed. I was asking YOUR take. It will remain disputed. I am interested to see that you dont support the US defending Taiwan or the freedom of navigation of the SCS. You therefore are not willing to do anything to resist China using military force, which is what they are doing.

BTW. We are part of that dispute. As a large scale trader in that part of the world we use that waterway. Vietnam and the Philippines and Malaysia all are effected as of course is Taiwan. Additionally the United States has defense agreements with these nations and others like New Zealand and Australia to provide naval forces in that region.

Of course the US has a defense treaty with Taiwan. I dont think letting the Russians take The Crimea was a good idea. Allowing the Chinese to use force in the areas above would be very dangerous. It does put you in a very pro Chinese position even though we are sure you will say you didnt say that.

I support an independent Taiwan as an ideal, but as a practice I'm not willing to go to war to make it happen.

I'd love to see the South China Sea treated as international waters by everyone, but I'm not willing to go to war to make it happen.

Do you think we should have gone to war with Russia over Crimea?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I support an independent Taiwan as an ideal, but as a practice I'm not willing to go to war to make it happen.

I'd love to see the South China Sea treated as international waters by everyone, but I'm not willing to go to war to make it happen.

Do you think we should have gone to war with Russia over Crimea?

I think what happens is that if you have a credible threat of military defense there is this thing called deterrence that takes place. There was no international backbone to protect The Crimea and so, the Russians used guns and took what they wanted. To date the Chinese have not taken Taiwan before there are American guns pointed at them and the backbone to use them. The SCS remains open because US Navy vessels use it and the Chinese are not willing to attack them.

So what I think is that showing the willingness to fight for free people that need our help almost always results in the aggressor backing away rather than starting a war. This would apply to the Baltic states and the other NATO nations.

Should I guess that you don't approve of NATO?

Just rereading. You support these things as an idea but you support them without any conviction which is to say that you dont really support them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's especially fun watching Twabby take the player side in any owner/player dispute while also being willing to cast aside members of that union if the stats he prefers don't measure up, regardless of actual value to the team. Interesting dilemma.

Maybe a boycott of all these rich athletes is in his future. I'm sure they all have plenty of capital. Christ, the f***ing TEAM is called the "Capitals". That's got to be painful. lol

I hope every player gets paid! I never begrudge a player for taking a contract even if I don't think they're worth it on the ice.

There are only a certain number of roster spots on NHL teams. You frame it as me casting aside members of the union, when it's just as accurate to say I would like to see new members accepted into the union. Why are you against young upstarts trying to start a career?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I hope every player gets paid! I never begrudge a player for taking a contract even if I don't think they're worth it on the ice.

There are only a certain number of roster spots on NHL teams. You frame it as me casting aside members of the union, when it's just as accurate to say I would like to see new members accepted into the union. Why are you against young upstarts trying to start a career?

Why do you feel the need to move goalposts and drop logical fallacies like loaded questions into every conversation?

Why are you unable to defend your position in any other way?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Why do you feel the need to move goalposts and drop logical fallacies like loaded questions into every conversation?

Why are you unable to defend your position in any other way?

I'm not the one who brought up me disliking when NHL GMs overvalue certain players in the NHL as some sort of contradiction about my views on labor in general!

Please keep this conversation on topic.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not the one who brought up me disliking when NHL GMs overvalue certain players in the NHL as some sort of contradiction about my views on labor in general!

Please keep this conversation on topic.

Pointing out inconsistencies in logic about capital vs labor, when your entire argument in this thread hinges on it, is not going off topic!

!!!!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pointing out inconsistencies in logic about capital vs labor, when your entire argument in this thread hinges on it, is not going off topic!

!!!!

You have pointed out no such thing. Again, please keep the thread on topic.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Be consistent. If you are against capitalism because the haves make too much/have too much money and there are too many in poverty, you cant then hope every player gets paid because you are begrudging people without unusually high income ability their right to make that income. You cant before me being regulated by the state in terms of my income and my private property but be cool with an $9m a season hockey player....much less a $45m a year basketball player.

Pro sports is capitalism. People spend money on it. The unionzied players negotiate a share of that income to be available to their members. You would have to find Ted Leonsis a disgusting figure of overwealth

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You have pointed out no such thing. Again, please keep the thread on topic.

Wrong. Your opinions about capital, wealth, labor, and trustworthiness are jumbled mess of idealistic and cliche' middle-class-appropriating-lower-class revenge fantasies that color your perceptions so completely you think the pandemic response is somehow disproportionately botched in the US because of it, while China is just a victim of prejudice and anti-communist fervor rather than the deserving recipient of skepticism based on their own actions.

It's laughable how often all your arguments follow the same patterns of denial and redirection, in this and every other thread. It really doesn't even need to be pointed out because it's blatantly obvious!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Be consistent. If you are against capitalism because the haves make too much/have too much money and there are too many in poverty, you cant then hope every player gets paid because you are begrudging people without unusually high income ability their right to make that income. You cant before me being regulated by the state in terms of my income and my private property but be cool with an $9m a season hockey player....much less a $45m a year basketball player.

Pro sports is capitalism. People spend money on it. The unionzied players negotiate a share of that income to be available to their members. You would have to find Ted Leonsis a disgusting figure of overwealth

The laborers should make money commensurate to their value, and everyone who works should earn a living wage. If that value is $9 million a year, then that is fair.

Of course for those who make a lot of money like professional athletes they should be heavily taxed. As mentioned in a prior post I think the highest bracket should be taxed at somewhere around 95%.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'll give you guys the same warning I did the other team forums that still have Covid threads that occasionally go off the rails:

Local team board threads are to focus on issues pertinent to the team, if things have some digressions into national issues that's sort of expected.

The last page has been about communism which I think we can agree is pretty far away from a Washington Capitals corona virus topic. Consider this warning #1 of a three strikes rule :)

Someone make a new version of the thread less all this stuff porfaplease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad