Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I feel luckier that my fellow coworkers pre-covid who have been stuck in basically the worst type cube farm one can have when considering trying to open back up with covid still running around. I had an office out of the regional office I am located at and did spend a couple months using in summer 2020 and it was mainly wearing a mask when one steps out of the office. I really could not imagine having to wear a mask indoors for 8 hours. I would not be surprised still working from home still by March 2022 which will mean two years. Though technically right now I do not have office as they are renovating the floor I was on. One entertaining thing about working from home is though about every other group in Esri is generally WFH friendly my side management virulently anti-WFH for no reason that I could ever determine. Though entertaining all the excuses they used are now blown out of the water.

I actually really like my office setup plus the free gym in the basement overall combined with my PST based schedule that allows me to duck DC area traffic. That said I will likely never be able to afford a home in the DC area which really is my one goal at the moment so full time WFH would allow me to move to an area more affordable.
My office building is the typical 1960s govt office building complete with drab beige walls. I found random framed pictures of flowers and birds in a closet and hung them in an attempt to brighten my dark corner of my floor. I got written up because I didn’t follow proper procedure to hang them. No BS. They are still up though. Govt rules and regs can be so dumb. Anyway, my commute is 50 miles rountrip. Have saved a lot on gas and maintenance on my car the last year +. I never want to go back. Also, a lot of studies say people are more productive working from home. Go figure. I take a lot of naps but I was taking them when I was in the office as well so maybe the studies are true. ;)

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My office building is the typical 1960s govt office building complete with drab beige walls. I found random framed pictures of flowers and birds in a closet and hung them in an attempt to brighten my dark corner of my floor. I got written up because I didn’t follow proper procedure to hang them. No BS. They are still up though. Govt rules and regs can be so dumb. Anyway, my commute is 50 miles rountrip. Have saved a lot on gas and maintenance on my car the last year +. I never want to go back. Also, a lot of studies say people are more productive working from home. Go figure. I take a lot of naps but I was taking them when I was in the office as well so maybe the studies are true. ;)

My round trip is only 24 so can only imagine saving what 250 miles a week on the car does for the car value.

I think the only thing that holds me back from full time WFH right now is the condo I live in it is pretty unbareable in the summer since I am only cooling my bed room so other than middle of the night venturing out to the main area it is living and working day in day out in a single room, heh. As much as I was pretty much hermit anyways before covid it still got to me a bit especially last summer but this summer not so bad and already downhill to September. But yeah normal living place without the heat challenges no problem WFH. I've been essentially been remote from my work colleagues for 17 years anyways (the only one not at corporate HQ) but just in a random office in a regional office for my corporation.

Pretty much the only positive from the delta variant is seeing the big companies who are really trying to turn the clock back to pre covid like everything will be back to normal get hampered.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I can just picture it now...

george-nap-desk-nap.gif

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My round trip is only 24 so can only imagine saving what 250 miles a week on the car does for the car value.

My round trip was ~900 miles every other week. I used to commute from SoCal to the Bay Area -1 hour drive to the airport, parking for 4 days, Southwest Flight, Uber rides all week, AirBnB 4 nights, fly home, drive home, repeat. Rough cost was ~$2000 a month. So that's what I've been saving doing WFH exclusively since March '20. Not to mention being with my son from age 4-6 full time instead of spending every other week away.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I think the only thing that holds me back from full time WFH right now is the condo I live in it is pretty unbareable in the summer since I am only cooling my bed room so other than middle of the night venturing out to the main area it is living and working day in day out in a single room, heh. As much as I was pretty much hermit anyways before covid it still got to me a bit especially last summer but this summer not so bad and already downhill to September. But yeah normal living place without the heat challenges no problem WFH. I've been essentially been remote from my work colleagues for 17 years anyways (the only one not at corporate HQ) but just in a random office in a regional office for my corporation.

Pretty much the only positive from the delta variant is seeing the big companies who are really trying to turn the clock back to pre covid like everything will be back to normal get hampered.
I see your issue. I have a single family home so I can move around, change the scenery. We got a dog 6 months before COVID so I started walking a lot with the dog. Get the blood pumping and get out of the house. That helps.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I wish I was so lucky - My company has me returning to site starting Sept 1. restrictions on mask being worn at all times. However on July 1 they had a new policy that allowed for someone fully vaccinated to not have to wear a mask. Kicker was that you didn't have to show proof it was all based on the honor system and in good old Kentucky the majority of people don't even think COVID is real. SMH led to now a month later fully masked on site regardless and multiple infections for those that were already on site. Yes please by all means let me go back into that in a few weeks.

Sad thing is this isn't at all a small company it's very very large

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Unfortunately disinformation and fear travel faster and farther than truth and facts in todays world of ADD riddled social media addicts. just spitballing here but I would bet well over 10X as many people will view Stock's bullshit as will view this thorough debunking of his bullshit, would not be surprised if its closer to 100X. Thanks for digging it up though, every bit of it helps in the never ending battle against covid disinformation.

Reactions: g00n

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m over this debate.

“Rights” need to be protected.

“Privileges” need to be left at the wayside.

It’s so damned simple
It's really not. Rights sometimes, often I fact, conflict. The first unalienable right in the declaration is life. If one person's right to not get vaccinated or to spread dangerous lies infringes on other people's right to live... such as by giving them a deadly virus... which right should be the priority for protection?

Covid misinformation is increasingly akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater, which is not protected speech.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So we just passed the 1,000 deaths in America recorded in a single day milestone again just now for the 3rd time in the past week. And it's only 1:30 PM ET. This time we might hit the 2,000 mark.

I can't believe we're about to go through this all over again. And winter is coming. Sigh.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So we just passed the 1,000 deaths in America recorded in a single day milestone again just now for the 3rd time in the past week. And it's only 1:30 PM ET. This time we might hit the 2,000 mark.

I can't believe we're about to go through this all over again. And winter is coming. Sigh.

Seems unnecessary doesn’t it? Senseless loss.

Just saw New Zealand is locking down early. They have been widely praised for handling it, but still have low vaccination numbers.

Reactions: tenken00

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's really not. Rights sometimes, often I fact, conflict. The first unalienable right in the declaration is life. If one person's right to not get vaccinated or to spread dangerous lies infringes on other people's right to live... such as by giving them a deadly virus... which right should be the priority for protection?

Covid misinformation is increasingly akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater, which is not protected speech.
I honestly look at this like smoking. Best example I can think of that mirrors the issues of today.

People have a right to smoke (IE possibly killing themselves). And I have a right not to be near that, and this country has done a mostly decent job of separating it.

Should be the same with those that don’t vaccinate. There are different sets of rules for smokers and non-smokers. There should (will) be different sets of rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated.

We cannot pretend the vaccine doesn’t have its foibles…it does already, and it’s it’s not even a year old. So while I personally agree w being vaccinated (me), I fully grasp why some may not, and don’t even get me into how to handle small children.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I honestly look at this like smoking. Best example I can think of that mirrors the issues of today.

People have a right to smoke (IE possibly killing themselves). And I have a right not to be near that, and this country has done a mostly decent job of separating it.

Should be the same with those that don’t vaccinate. There are different sets of rules for smokers and non-smokers. There should (will) be different sets of rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated.

We cannot pretend the vaccine doesn’t have its foibles…it does already, and it’s it’s not even a year old. So while I personally agree w being vaccinated (me), I fully grasp why some may not, and don’t even get me into how to handle small children.

Except the existence of smokers doesn't increase the chances of Super Cigarettes emerging that turn non-smokers into smokers with just a whiff of smoke. That's what we're looking at with more infections variants emerging due to increased mutation opportunities among unvaccinated communities.

And TBH there is no cause for alarm about the vaccines right now. I'm not sure what "foibles" you're referencing but they're far and away better than the alternative. There are BILLIONS of doses administered already and very, very few problems associated with them. They are working as intended. The best analogy I've seen is they're like bullet proof vests. They'll protect you from gunshots but if you're in the middle of a room with 20 people firing at you then one of those bullets might get through. That's the expected failure rate, and other behaviors can mitigate that risk.

We are not going to see a society that allows fragmentation of vax/unvax into smoking/non-smoking sections. Not without a HUGE fight. And how do you verify that status? People are already fussing and making threats about it.

With smokers you take smoke breaks or have designated areas. Are we going to sell "unvaccinated" seats in sections of sports stadiums? Keep them separate at concessions and in restrooms? There is zero chance we can create two "separate but equal" societies this way.

Aside from those with legitimate medical reasons for avoiding ingredients in the vaccine there is no good reason to make such a foolish choice.

edit: if this convo needs to move to the covid thread no problem, let's go there

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

The vaccine is safe unless you have certain medical issues. For instance, for all the brief hysteria around blood clots as a side effect, the risk is orders of magnitude less than for birth control, which millions of women take literally every day. The side effects are entirely minimal. The idea that it has problems is a function of expecting perfection. Nothing is perfect, but the vaccines are as close as can be hoped for. Suggesting otherwise is untrue.

As for the rest of it, see @g00n 's post.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Except the existence of smokers doesn't increase the chances of Super Cigarettes emerging that turn non-smokers into smokers with just a whiff of smoke. That's what we're looking at with more infections variants emerging due to increased mutation opportunities among unvaccinated communities.

And TBH there is no cause for alarm about the vaccines right now. I'm not sure what "foibles" you're referencing but they're far and away better than the alternative. There are BILLIONS of doses administered already and very, very few problems associated with them. They are working as intended. The best analogy I've seen is they're like bullet proof vests. They'll protect you from gunshots but if you're in the middle of a room with 20 people firing at you then one of those bullets might get through. That's the expected failure rate, and other behaviors can mitigate that risk.

We are not going to see a society that allows fragmentation of vax/unvax into smoking/non-smoking sections. Not without a HUGE fight. And how do you verify that status? People are already fussing and making threats about it.

With smokers you take smoke breaks or have designated areas. Are we going to sell "unvaccinated" seats in sections of sports stadiums? Keep them separate at concessions and in restrooms? There is zero chance we can create two "separate but equal" societies this way.

Aside from those with legitimate medical reasons for avoiding ingredients in the vaccine there is no good reason to make such a foolish choice.

edit: if this convo needs to move to the covid thread no problem, let's go there
As I’ve told people on here — I developed Grover’s Disease literally 4 days after my first shot. Which is a very rare autoimmune disease. I’m autoimmune comprised as it is (cancer survivor — Lymphoma).

so I took a brand new autoimmune Vaxx with an autoimmune comprised system and I got a rare autoimmune disease.

let’s all do ourselves a favour and not pretend it’s a coincidence.

should everyone be afraid of this? NO. But can shit happen? YES

Reactions: tenken00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad