Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Shit man, if only the working class, underprivileged, and oppressed people had the drive to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, amirite? (Say the people who don't realize, or are unwilling to acknowledge, that they were blessed with a polished new pair of boots the moment they were born.)

dunno man, I grew up fairly poor for much of my childhood, but am no longer. My dad used to scare me that I’d dig ditches for a living someday. But whatever….everyone has their view of life.

Reactions: Ajax1995

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The median length of time these people had been vaccinated was almost exactly 3 months. Yet in that time they didn't get infected. It seems likely to me they were exposed to people from out of town, possibly many of whom were unvaccinated, for long periods of time. There's no doubt they'd already been around people over the last 3 months but didn't get sick, and it took tourists and superspreader events to break through.

We're seeing the same thing in touristy areas of MD (Worcester county for example).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
LOL so "both sides are bad but at least the bad guys are honest". Yeah sure. Scorching hot take I've never heard before.

Nobody wants lockdowns, bruh. Some people actually want to work and make money. Those who don't feel safe should be allowed to stay home but millions of people are currently working because they're masking and/or have been vaccinated. The vaccines do what they're supposed to do and we can only hunker down for so long. Every country knows this and it's not just about "serving capital".

The ratio of governors cutting off UI benefits is 25:1 R vs D

25 GOP-led states and one Democratic state are cutting $300 weekly federal unemployment benefits. Here are the 26 states making the cut this summer.

But yeah, "both sides".

You talk about divisiveness and messaging but you're not immune to it. "Both sides are bad" is taking a side...a third side. I'm not sure you're aware but people like yourself are prime targets for the disinfo campaigns.

Of course no one wants lockdowns because they are tough. Working at home with your damn wiener kids bothering you because they can't safely go to daycare stinks, and not being able to go out to grab some juicy New England IPAs after a long day's work would be very disappointing. And yes, some people do like their jobs and would prefer to work instead of being locked down.

But the fact is those who don't feel safe can't stay home from their jobs. Indeed, the state of New York is getting rid of their expanded unemployement benefits next month. And the state of California is not allowing you to collect unemployment benefits unless you provide proof of actively searching for a job. Doesn't sound like these Democrat-run states are allowing people who feel unsafe to stay home from work and survive, but are rather forcing everyone to get back to work! Worse yet, children are now being forced back to in-person schooling in many Democratic areas. New York City, for instance, is ending remote-learning this fall despite many children ineligible for the vaccine and the Delta variant surging.

I do appreciate you looking out for me and my susceptibility to disinformation. I'll take it into consideration.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ooooooooooohhhh

https://ptownie.com/provincetown-theme-weeks/

I think I see what happened. This wasn't just some July 4th fireworks show for locals or whatever, it was a...lifestyle...convention of sorts. Most of the cases were men in their 20s to 40s.

So use your imagination about the "exposure" vectors and safety measures.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ooooooooooohhhh

https://ptownie.com/provincetown-theme-weeks/

I think I see what happened. This wasn't just some July 4th fireworks show for locals or whatever, it was a...lifestyle...convention of sorts. Most of the cases were men in their 20s to 40s.

So use your imagination about the "exposure" vectors and safety measures.

So... apparently leather chaps are not an effective defense against Covid? Mental note made!

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Some more data. Dane county WI which has a higher than average rate of vaccinated people, >67%.

https://publichealthmdc.com/documents/2021-07-29_data_snapshot.pdf

Cases among both unvaccinated and vaccinated people have rapidly increased since Delta became the dominant virus strain in Dane County. Dane County’s current 7-day average of daily new COVID cases is 6.8 per 100,000 residents. The rate for unvaccinated residents is 11.3, which is 2.5 times as high as the rate for fully vaccinated residents, which is 4.5.

Viral Load in Breakthrough Cases Our partners at UW-Madison sequence COVID test specimens and are able to determine levels of virus present in a sample. More virus in the sample can mean a greater likelihood that the person with COVID can transmit the infection to others. The chart to the right shows the level of virus (using cycle threshold data) present from recent test specimens in Dane County of fully vaccinated people (yellow dots on the right) vs. not fully vaccinated people (gray dots on the left). When the dots are below the gray dotted line, that means they had enough virus to be able to be sequenced. We can see that there are far more samples from the unvaccinated group— this is expected because unvaccinated people are more at risk of getting COVID. We can also see that the gray and yellow dots are distributed similarly. This is evidence that fully vaccinated people have viral loads similar to that of unvaccinated people, and may be more capable of spreading COVID than was previously known. This is a very recent discovery that is also being supported by recent research done by the CDC, but more research is still needed.

upload_2021-7-30_12-15-35.png

So if this study is evidence of the larger overall trend (one sausage party in P-town not withstanding), the following seems to be true:

Vaxed people are less likely to catch Covid vs unvaxed.
Vaxed people are less likely to get very sick or die from Covid if they do catch it, vs unvaxed.
Vaxed people who do catch Covid (Delta) seem to carry a similar viral load compared to unvaxed infected patients, which means they can spread the virus "more easily than previously thought", but not "more easily than being unvaxed".

TLDR: If you are vaccinated you are less likely to catch, therefore spread Covid, but if you do catch Covid, you can still spread it. Hence, the pandemic isn't going to end any time soon.

Eirikrautha

There is no question about the origin of the resistance for most of the people not getting the shot.

Unvaccinated Americans Whiter, More Republican Than Vaccinated

I mean this isn't even in doubt. Any other explanation is gaslighting. We know there's always going to be some outlier antivax overlap, and some distrust of the system that may be racial, but that can be overcome with better information and urgency. I know people like this who have flipped. There are people here who've done so, I'm sure..

Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity

Overall, across these 40 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (48%) was roughly 1.3 times higher than the rate for Black people (36%) and 1.2 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (41%) as of July 19, 2021. White people had a higher vaccination rate compared to Hispanic people in all reporting states, except Vermont, Missouri, DC, Louisiana, and Tennessee, and a higher rate than Black people in every reporting state, except Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho. However, the size of these differences varied widely across states. For example, White people were over twice as likely to have received a vaccine as Hispanic people in Colorado and South Dakota and had at least a two times higher vaccination rate than Black people in Iowa and South Dakota. The overall vaccination rate across states for Asian people was higher compared to White people (65% vs. 48%), which is consistent with the pattern in most reporting states. However, Asian people had lower vaccinations rates than White people in five states (Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota).

As of July 19, less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in the vast majority of states reporting data. The vaccination rate for Black people is less than 50% in 38 of 42 reporting states, including 14 states where less than a third of Black people have received one or more doses. Similarly, less than half of Hispanic people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 34 of 40 reporting states, including 10 states where less than a third have received at least one dose. At least half of White people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 17 of 42 states. The rate remains below 50% in the remaining 25 states but falls below a third in only one state, Idaho. At least half of Asian people have received one or more doses in more than half of reporting states (32 of 39).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity

Overall, across these 40 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (48%) was roughly 1.3 times higher than the rate for Black people (36%) and 1.2 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (41%) as of July 19, 2021. White people had a higher vaccination rate compared to Hispanic people in all reporting states, except Vermont, Missouri, DC, Louisiana, and Tennessee, and a higher rate than Black people in every reporting state, except Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho. However, the size of these differences varied widely across states. For example, White people were over twice as likely to have received a vaccine as Hispanic people in Colorado and South Dakota and had at least a two times higher vaccination rate than Black people in Iowa and South Dakota. The overall vaccination rate across states for Asian people was higher compared to White people (65% vs. 48%), which is consistent with the pattern in most reporting states. However, Asian people had lower vaccinations rates than White people in five states (Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota).

As of July 19, less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in the vast majority of states reporting data. The vaccination rate for Black people is less than 50% in 38 of 42 reporting states, including 14 states where less than a third of Black people have received one or more doses. Similarly, less than half of Hispanic people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 34 of 40 reporting states, including 10 states where less than a third have received at least one dose. At least half of White people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 17 of 42 states. The rate remains below 50% in the remaining 25 states but falls below a third in only one state, Idaho. At least half of Asian people have received one or more doses in more than half of reporting states (32 of 39).

What is your point? That's not that huge a difference and the gap is narrowing. You're also citing incomplete and possibly flawed data for only 80% of states, as noted in the link.

There have been access and disinformation problems plaguing the rollout, including fewer vaccines available to black areas as supplies were ramping up. Additionally, blacks were hit harder by COVID in many areas before the vaccines, so those people may be reluctant to get the shot or think they don't need it. In recent weeks there's been an uptick in vaccinations among minorities, probably as the Delta variant becomes a concern and the vaccine has been around long enough to be trusted.

There is no questioning that the least vaccinated counties/groups fit a pattern I won't specify here as instructed. Go ahead and look up that data. As of early this month 86% of one group had at least one dose vs only 45% of the other group. Only 6% of the first group said they would probably decline the vaccine vs 47% of the other group. And 60% of that unvaccinated group say COVID's dangers are exaggerated.

So yeah, gaslight away.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Given what we know about the Delta variant now, how it is more transmissible than the Alpha variant, and how some vaccines aren't as effective at preventing infection with the Delta variant, it sure seems like it's possible that Evgeny Kuznetsov could have got COVID a second time in a benign way such as from his family or from thousands of screaming fans in a packed arena setting rather than on his local tour of New York City jazz bars or going to view new exhibits at Guggenheim or whatever else rich professional athletes do in their spare time in the Empire City!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Given what we know about the Delta variant now, how it is more transmissible than the Alpha variant, and how some vaccines aren't as effective at preventing infection with the Delta variant, it sure seems like it's possible that Evgeny Kuznetsov could have got COVID a second time in a benign way such as from his family or from thousands of screaming fans in a packed arena setting rather than on his local tour of New York City jazz bars or going to view new exhibits at Guggenheim or whatever else rich professional athletes do in their spare time in the Empire City!

What exactly are you basing this on?

The main breakthrough event the CDC used for the re-mask guideline was EXACTLY the kind of thing Kuzy is suspected of (close quarters with many people, mixed vaccination levels, no real protocols, restaurants or bars, etc).

There are plenty of large gatherings of vaccinated people that haven't resulted in superspreader events. We would be seeing much higher infection rates in vaccinated areas if your scenario were reasonable.

And again if Kuzy got it from normal team functions then why were the only 2 infected he and Sammy, who was also disciplined by the team?

You are reaching.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What exactly are you basing this on?

The main breakthrough event the CDC used for the re-mask guideline was EXACTLY the kind of thing Kuzy is suspected of (close quarters with many people, mixed vaccination levels, no real protocols, restaurants or bars, etc).

There are plenty of large gatherings of vaccinated people that haven't resulted in superspreader events. We would be seeing much higher infection rates in vaccinated areas if your scenario were reasonable.

And again if Kuzy got it from normal team functions then why were the only 2 infected he and Sammy, who was also disciplined by the team?

You are reaching.

Did Samsonov get it for a second time? As far as I can tell he only got it once, and landed on the list a second time because he was a close contact of Kuznetsov's.

I think it’s possible Kuznetsov got COVID for a second time going on a carriage ride in Central Park, but with so many other potential vectors for transmission it is quite impossible to say. Especially as more and more fans were let into arenas, and especially as we now know that even vaccinated people can still transmit and contract the virus.

The fact that only Kuznetsov had COVID a second time doesn’t indicate that he contracted it elsewhere instead of during team functions. As with every virus, even with similar levels of exposure some people get it, and some don’t. Assuming most of the team is vaccinated it’s reasonable to believe that even with the Delta variant they had some protection, though not nearly as good as with the original Alpha variant. The Delta variant is, pardon my language, a real bitch!

This isn’t excusing him for going to a poetry slam, or whatever it is that wealthy athletes do when they have free time in New Amsterdam. But whatever discipline he received from the team for this should be viewed as independent from landing on the COVID list again and missing the first few games of the Boston series. It’s still quite easy to catch the Delta variant, especially in a crowded arena (which the CDC has noted is one of the most dangerous activities to attend).

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My company, ~12,000 employees, just announced that they would require proof of having the covid vaccine, starting Oct 1. There will be some limited exceptions but "I just don't wanna" won't be one of them, mainly medical or lack of availability (we have people all over the globe) will be accepted. I fully applaud this decision!

200w.gif

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My company, ~12,000 employees, just announced that they would require proof of having the covid vaccine, starting Oct 1. There will be some limited exceptions but "I just don't wanna" won't be one of them, mainly medical or lack of availability (we have people all over the globe) will be accepted. I fully applaud this decision!

200w.gif
My employer is still dicking around trying not to do this. (We also have people on several continents.) But it's irresponsible, and I'm hoping they will soon realize that.

Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

200w.gif

Prepare for resistance from people being manipulated by the same groups that have been stoking fears and promoting protests in other countries. Some of these "nutters" are going to dive right off the deep end.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Applies to the "I'm young and healthy and don't need to vaccinate because I'll probably be fine" crowd, which is apparently a big thing among many pro athletes right now:

View attachment 460340

It is definitely the one thing during this covid time that I still cannot wrap my brain around is the number of anti-maskers that basically want the right to infect other people. Also telling the lack of empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad