Nov 22, 2007
Scientific community divided over Wuhan lab leak theories

upload_2021-6-19_13-4-4.png

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't care how it appears. The stakes are too high and the arguments against getting the shot for anyone who's of-age and not otherwise compromised are unfounded. It 100% reveals ignorance or selfishness to refuse to do one's part. If anything is "partisan" here it's the objections, which are being controlled by very well known political sources. The science and statistics DON'T CARE about the politics. That's what needs to be followed, not artificial FUD being manufactured by disruptors.

I have a relative who's more immune compromised and hypersensitive to everything you can think of, and even she got the J&J, bravely so. Grown ass men in the NFL can sack up and do it, too.
Ok brother. I am neither an ignorant nor selfish man. So save that shit, it’s insulting and beneath both of us.

You are obviously not in a spot to listen to anyone. Using things like “ALL CAPS” and “100%” isn’t doing much for this, save make me feel brow-beaten, unless I agree to your stance on this. Appears to be extreme.

there is a LOT that goes into this. You have your stance. I have mine.

I will move on here.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok brother. I am neither an ignorant nor selfish man. So save that shit, it’s insulting and beneath both of us.

You are obviously not in a spot to listen to anyone. Using things like “ALL CAPS” and “100%” isn’t doing much for this, save make me feel brow-beaten, unless is I agree to your stance on this. Appears to be extreme.

there is a LOT that goes into this. You have your stance. I have mine.

I will move on here.

Don't make this about me or bullshit syntax complaints. I'm the messenger, and we all understand the English language.

I was not saying you were selfish. You got the shot.

I have had friends and family die from COVID so f*** the nonsense about "personal choice" that's coming ENTIRELY from political origins. f*** all that. And f*** anyone who doesn't like it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Don't make this about me or bullshit syntax complaints. I'm the messenger, and we all understand the English language.

I was not saying you were selfish. You got the shot.

I have had friends and family die from COVID so f*** the nonsense about "personal choice" that's coming ENTIRELY from political origins. f*** all that. And f*** anyone who doesn't like it.
Put down the megaphone man, I’m right here in the conversation. You are seemingly unhinged.

I am letting this go. If you need another jab at me on the way out, have at it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The more this shit drags on the worse it gets for our kids. We're creating the world they will inherit. If we as responsible adults can do our part to stop this disease from getting out of control and mutating further (which we KNOW happens), then we give them a chance. My kid already has issues from being out of school at a critical age and we're struggling to recover.

So a bunch of fit, younger people who are whining about nothing other than their hurt feelings or fears of the unknown can get with the program or be considered outcasts, rightfully so.

That's the message for Beasley and those like him. Want to cling to that mentality? There are consequences. Nobody gets out of this totally free of responsibility.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Put down the megaphone man, I’m right here in the conversation. You are seemingly unhinged.

I am letting this go. If you need another jab at me on the way out, have at it.

I'm not taking jabs at you. Have a good weekend.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Are these the same "responsible citizens" who were sheepishly accusing everyone who mentioned Lab Leak of being conspiracy theory a year ago?

:popcorn::laugh:

I have no idea what you’re trying to imply. The only sheep is you that jumps on every conspiracy theory without critically thinking about it. I think you better put your tinfoil hat back on...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Because it's flat Earth bullshit pushed by domestic political operatives and foreign disinformation-peddling agencies, and belies an ignorant selfishness that risks the lives of many more people than yourself.

If you can somehow keep COVID strictly inside your body then "my body my choice" might apply.

There is a lot of flat earth bullshit being peddled by both sides of the political isle so get used to it. People are allowed to have opinions regardless if they lack knowledge or reason.

People who drink and consume drugs (illegal and legal) can also be lumped in the selfish ignorance category because actions they take while under the influence can impact more people than themselves.

Reactions: Corby78

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You realize that Trump's former FDA head is the one pushing that whole thing, right? And that's how the story got back in the news recently? There is no proof of a "lab leak" other than a few people who worked at the lab had seasonal flu symptoms at the same time as the seasonal flu. Woooo.

Even if it was leaked from a lab, what difference does that make wrt the vaccine question? And why would any country unleash a disease without having the cure first?

Rumors of U.S. Secretly Harboring Top China Official Swirl

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is not political or directed at anyone, just information I found today in the course of another discussion about the Delta variant.

Youth, Delta variant behind UK COVID surge

Overall, convalescent sera was 4-fold less effective against B1617.1 and 2.7-fold less effective against B1617.2 than against an early strain from Wuhan, China. Still, convalescent sera containing antibodies against the Beta variant first seen in South Africa and the Gamma (P1) variant first identified in Brazil were the least able to inactivate Delta.
Data showed that the Delta variant's affinity for ACE-2 was slightly enhanced compared with that of the Wuhan strain as well.

"Individuals previously infected by these variants may be more susceptible to reinfection by B.1.617.2," the authors wrote. "This observation provides important new insight for immunisation policy with future variant vaccines in non-immune populations."

This means "natural immunity" is less effective than vaccination.

The science behind this as I've heard it explained is natural protection can be based on any number of aspects of the virus while the vaccines focus on the spike protein which so far has not shown any propensity for change.

So while the vaccines aren't 100% they're still more effective than natural antibodies from getting the actual disease, which carries far more risks than the disease to begin with.

The last paragraphs on this article are why people should be getting 2 doses of the vaccine (earlier in the article there is information about waning immunity after only 1 dose....4-10 weeks).

upload_2021-6-19_19-20-31.png

Basically the more people there are avoiding full vaccination the more likelihood there is for variants of a more serious nature to emerge.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just received this NIH study which echoes the above regarding "natural" immunity vs vaccination.

How Immunity Generated from COVID-19 Vaccines Differs from an Infection

View attachment 448653

This is probably how someone like Kuzy got it twice, and only months apart.

I thought Kuznetsov implied he was vaccinated before he got COVID a second time. Though I suppose it could have been with the J&J vaccine which is not mRNA.

Edit: the quote about his vaccination status was a little ambiguous:

He said it was “nice” returning to the ice after testing positive for COVID-19 the first time back in January, but noted that the “second time was tough” in early May. “It’s not easy, but I’m looking for excuses. I know I have to play better…If I am going to be the first person with the vaccination and get COVID twice already and get it [a] third time, so I don’t know, I may be the special one.”

Capitals’ Evgeny Kuznetsov on Trade Rumors: “It Doesn’t Bother Me At All…I’m Never Going To Complain About Anything If I Understand It”

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought Kuznetsov implied he was vaccinated before he got COVID a second time. Though I suppose it could have been with the J&J vaccine which is not mRNA.

Edit: the quote about his vaccination status was a little ambiguous:

Capitals’ Evgeny Kuznetsov on Trade Rumors: “It Doesn’t Bother Me At All…I’m Never Going To Complain About Anything If I Understand It”

Hard to tell what he meant there but maybe he was musing about being someone who got it twice then gets vaccinated then gets it again. Kuzy logic.

Either way there are breakthrough cases but they're very rare and usually not severe. I have a relative in another state who had this happen. But I also have a friend in MD who was vaccinated close to the same time his wife gave it to him and his case was asymptomatic while hers was mild but symptomatic (she was not vaccinated, younger) including loss of taste/smell etc.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Went to pickup takeout from a restaurant near me last night. This place has stayed busy through the pandemic, it already had a large outdoor seating area, and did a brisk takeout business when things were completely shut down. They had followed all protocols in CA - no indoor dining when required, mask wearing when not seated at your table, indoor dining only with distance rules when the county went to the "level" where it was allowed, all staff had masks all the time, etc

Last night I was the only one wearing a mask at all. Indoors was packed, outdoors also, a line of people waiting for their table, all the staff - no masks anywhere. The staff which had always been masked, is now unmasked. First time things "looked" normal since the start of the pandemic shutdown last March... ~15 months later. But in the back of my mind I was wondering: "Are we really back to normal or is this just a temporary break"? I was also thinking I have serious doubts that all these people are vax'd, more likely only about 50% were.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Went to pickup takeout from a restaurant near me last night. This place has stayed busy through the pandemic, it already had a large outdoor seating area, and did a brisk takeout business when things were completely shut down. They had followed all protocols in CA - no indoor dining when required, mask wearing when not seated at your table, indoor dining only with distance rules when the county went to the "level" where it was allowed, all staff had masks all the time, etc

Last night I was the only one wearing a mask at all. Indoors was packed, outdoors also, a line of people waiting for their table, all the staff - no masks anywhere. The staff which had always been masked, is now unmasked. First time things "looked" normal since the start of the pandemic shutdown last March... ~15 months later. But in the back of my mind I was wondering: "Are we really back to normal or is this just a temporary break"? I was also thinking I have serious doubts that all these people are vax'd, more likely only about 50% were.

Same concerns. The delta variant is lurking and the effects are yet to be seen. But everyone is acting like it's over.

Israel is now going back to masking because of several hundred cases resulting from lax screening at an airport. In America it will be hard to get people to go back to some of the old habits if there's another surge, and it's hard to tell what the next surge will look like. But IMO it will likely manifest as lower positivity % levels as people are less likely to be tested due to minor symptoms, and may go unnoticed by people who are vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad