OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't plan to be a part of the first wave of people getting the vaccine, but I'm not going to be last. I'm just esthetic that it looks like we have a viable treatment that works. Just being able to do that should really help us get back to normal, because you will be able to strategically target hotspot areas to absolutely cut this virus off at the knees. You won't need everyone vaccinated for things to start going back to normal, as long as you have the ability to go on the offensive and fight this virus where the infections are happening.

For the first time in a very long while, I feel like things at this point next year are going to be 'normal'. Today's announcement gives a light at the end of the tunnel.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't plan to be a part of the first wave of people getting the vaccine, but I'm not going to be last. I'm just esthetic that it looks like we have a viable treatment that works. Just being able to do that should really help us get back to normal, because you will be able to strategically target hotspot areas to absolutely cut this virus off at the knees. You won't need everyone vaccinated for things to start going back to normal, as long as you have the ability to go on the offensive and fight this virus where the infections are happening.

For the first time in a very long while, I feel like things at this point next year are going to be 'normal'. Today's announcement gives a light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't know if getting a facial or chemical peel is a good idea right now, at least until there's a viable vaccine. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
662_550x550_Front_Color-Black.jpg

a e s t h e t i c

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd advise you to expand your times scale there...
My bar for 'normal' right now is a lot lower than it was this time last year.

I do have a feeling that by this time next year, if this vaccine proves to be viable, that you'll see a lot of these social distancing mandates relaxed, especially if we are able to mass produce the treatment. If that 90% number proves to be true, it surpasses the 70% rate that Fauci said we needed to feel comfortable about where we are heading.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My bar for 'normal' right now is a lot lower than it was this time last year.

I do have a feeling that by this time next year, if this vaccine proves to be viable, that you'll see a lot of these social distancing mandates relaxed, especially if we are able to mass produce the treatment. If that 90% number proves to be true, it surpasses the 70% rate that Fauci said we needed to feel comfortable about where we are heading.

I think that's the key. If this Pfizer vaccine does indeed turn out to be viable, and 90% (or even 70%) effective at preventing the virus, then how quickly and affordably it can be made available to the mass population is the key as @Novacane posted earlier (from the 60 minutes piece).

That said, 90% is incredible and seems almost too good to be true for a 1st time vaccine. Aren't Flu vaccines usually 40-60% effective?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
For the first time in a very long while, I feel like things at this point next year are going to be 'normal'.
I don't know if I should be happy or sad, but today again I realized my life hasn't really changed at all. I squirt some complementary hand disinfectant from a push-can or autonatic dispenser when going to a store, and I have had a couple of lay-off days from work, and a greater number of NPCs are dressing up like ninjas, but that's about it.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't know if I should be happy or sad, but today again I realized my life hasn't really changed at all. I squirt some complementary hand disinfectant from a push-can or autonatic dispenser when going to a store, and I have had a couple of lay-off days from work, and a greater number of NPCs are dressing up like ninjas, but that's about it.
Don’t apologize for living a life that has happened not to be affected much. You can be grateful, and simultaneously acknowledge that others haven’t been as fortunate, without feeling bad about it.

It’s weird that anyone WOULD feel guilty about that.

Of course, we’re in weird times so ...

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I think that's the key. If this Pfizer vaccine does indeed turn out to be viable, and 90% (or even 70%) effective at preventing the virus, then how quickly and affordably it can be made available to the mass population is the key as @Novacane posted earlier (from the 60 minutes piece).

That said, 90% is incredible and seems almost too good to be true for a 1st time vaccine. Aren't Flu vaccines usually 40-60% effective?

Not really on the effectiveness part--as long as you have a relatively "stable" disease people are being vaccinated for--like the measles. When administered correctly, that vaccine is 97% effective. The flu on the other hand, keeps mutating and can come from different vectors (pigs or birds) which makes it just a guessing game what is going to be around in any given year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not really on the effectiveness part--as long as you have a relatively "stable" disease people are being vaccinated for--like the measles. When administered correctly, that vaccine is 97% effective. The flu on the other hand, keeps mutating and can come from different vectors (pigs or birds) which makes it just a guessing game what is going to be around in any given year.
And this is why Denmark is scrambling right now to eradicate their mink population and quarantine anyone who has any contact with it or contact with anyone who has contact with them. The Pfizer vaccine would supposedly be ineffective against this mutation, which is bad news.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That’s a good point about “guessing” on which strain of the flu will be prevalent in any given year reduces effectiveness.

I still think 90% is remarkable for a virus that is essentially less than a year old. Granted, there are similarities with other coronavirus strains and science has evolved tremendously. Measles was around for a hundred years before a vaccine was developed, and even the initial vaccine was subsequently modified.

from what I’ve read, most “experts” seem surprised by the 90% effectiveness so early on in development.

I hope it holds to be true though. We could use some positive news on that front.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And this is why Denmark is scrambling right now to eradicate their mink population and quarantine anyone who has any contact with it or contact with anyone who has contact with them. The Pfizer vaccine would supposedly be ineffective against this mutation, which is bad news.
Well, the stated reason at least. Denmark's decision has some implications to Finland too, and a bigwig in the Finnish Fur Industry Association has suggested there's political gaming behind the Denmark policy: Denmark has already been ending their fur industry by 2024, and according to the bigwig it's very political with some hoping for speeded-up schedule on that.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
4 reasons for encouragement based on Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine results

Specific good news from the good news is that:

1) The Pfizer vaccine targets the spike protein, "the knobby protrusion on the SARS-CoV-2 virus that allows the virus to attach to and invade human cells, initiating infection". Apparently most/all vaccines under development also target the spike protein. So that approach for Covid vaccine development got validated.

2) The Pfizer vaccine is a mRNA vaccine, and there are others under development, so that platform gets validated too.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Don’t apologize for living a life that has happened not to be affected much. You can be grateful, and simultaneously acknowledge that others haven’t been as fortunate, without feeling bad about it.

It’s weird that anyone WOULD feel guilty about that.

Of course, we’re in weird times so ...
Guilt has nothing to do with it. I'm just questioning my life choices and my general quality of life, if I can just matrix-dodge a global pandemic without any effort and little to none changes. Other people are feeling like caged animals, banned from their nightlife and spinning and concerts, and I'm like Ralph Wiggum with my finger up my nose.

Obviously I'm but one factory closure news away from utter devastation.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He also says the preservation temperature of -34 Celsius of Pfizer vaccinations may be a factor that will raise the price of the vaccination (storage & distribution).
I know I pointed this out yesterday, but it has been bothering me and after looking around and talking to some experts, where did you get this temperature, and are you sure it is Celcius? Everything I've read is that mRNA vaccines need to be stored at -94F or -70C. They can last about 24 hours at 34-42F, but storage requirements are going to be at the numbers I gave previously.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I know I pointed this out yesterday, but it has been bothering me and after looking around and talking to some experts, where did you get this temperature, and are you sure it is Celcius? Everything I've read is that mRNA vaccines need to be stored at -94F or -70C. They can last about 24 hours at 34-42F, but storage requirements are going to be at the numbers I gave previously.
"Pfizerin rokotteiden säilytyslämpötila on 34 pakkasasteessa toisin kuin monilla muilla valmistajilla niiden."

"The storage temperature for Pfizer vaccines is 34 sub-zero degrees unlike many other manufacturers those. (sic)"

https://www.is.fi/taloussanomat/art-2000007609342.html

Celsius was assumed in between Finn prof and Finn reporter, we don't do Fahrenheit at all in Finland. The idea was that the coldness needed means more costs.

But the reporter may have messed up everything else too while he messed up his sentence.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So looks like the governor is scaling back on size of gatherings due to large increases in infections and hospitalization.

also see that Michigan State coach Izzo tested positive,

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think I’ve mentioned it before but you’d never know there was a pandemic in eastern NC.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Notre Dame not letting folks go home for Thanksgiving unless they test negative after storming the field after the Clemson game

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Notre Dame not letting folks go home for Thanksgiving unless they test negative after storming the field after the Clemson game
Wasn’t the ND President in attendance for the White House party when Coney Barrett was confirmed (or announced, can’t remember)? A big deal was made that he hadn’t worn a mask, etc.

I think this is a major reason why there is resistance to various measures taken. Too much of “rules for thee and not for me.” Small businesses closed but Walmart essential. Etc etc.

Anyways, I hope Cooper’s new measures don’t mean that local hockey is cancelled. The kids have been really good about the rules and as far as we’ve been told, no “outbreaks” or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad