OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Yikes

I really miss traveling the world but can't imagine signing up for that.

I think I dread the next 3 months the most of this mess due to the forthcoming wet winter weather especially if they have to shut everything down again. At least, when the quarantine arrived it was already spring weather here and one could hang out on the patio or walk around outdoors easily.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yikes

I really miss traveling the world but can't imagine signing up for that.

I think I dread the next 3 months the most of this mess due to the forthcoming wet winter weather especially if they have to shut everything down again. At least, when the quarantine arrived it was already spring weather here and one could hang out on the patio or walk around outdoors easily.

If 1000s of people attended large, indoor campaign rallies, I’m sure they will have no problem finding volunteers for this.

I’m with you though, I wouldn’t do it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A limited capacity, socially distanced cruise under normal circumstances would be the bomb. All the fun of a cruise without those pesky "other people".
The problem is that if your ship gets compromised, you're forever cursed to roam the seas with no harbor accepting you.

I understand there were cruise ships where the fun kind of evaded after a while because of that when the corona pandemic hit.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fodder for thought: a Finnish paper polled nurses on the Covid vaccination.

Majority of those answering are against mandatory Covid vaccination, though they stress they generally are pro-vaccination. In this case they rather get terminated than vaccinated.

The quoted answers are mainly about the nurses refusing to be guinea-pig for the new Covid vaccination. The practically mandatory annual influenza vaccination is already a borderline case for many.

Reactions: CanesFanBudMan

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pfizer estimates that they can manufacture 1.3 Billion vaccines during the next year.

The rich countries have already made preliminary contracts worth of 1.1 Billion vaccines.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
c5edb71bae894277b0786dac29115f85.jpg.webp

Covid cases from past fortnight per 100,000.

I'm barely in the green.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
And it won't. It'll be a year before a substantial portion of the 1st world population is vaccinated with these mRNA vaccines. Probably two or three years before less developed areas of the world see it due to cold storage requirements and the need to for two shots.
While this is true, just getting healthcare and high-risk individuals the vaccine will cut substantially into the severity and spread of COVID. Given that we really don't know how many have had it but been asymptomatic (and never tested), you'd hopefully be looking at everyone else being fairly low-risk spread or having some amount of "herd immunity". Before anybody assumes, I'm NOT advocating for removing restrictions and going for the herd immunity approach, just noting that you don't NEED to vaccinate the whole world in the next few months for it to be fairly effective...it's not doom & gloom until we get 8B vaccines (though obviously that's the end goal), if we can get the at-risk groups taken care of we're on our way to breathing a bit easier and planning our recovery vs constant panic/anxiety. Do that and you have the ability and increased resources to focus on those harder-to-reach areas and getting to the general population

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sweden tells COVID-19 was the most common cause of death in the month of April and the third most common cause of death in the period of January to June, after cardio-vascular diseases and cancer.

The amount of deaths from Jan to Jun was visibly higher than in previous years: men +16 % and women +12 %.

The first half of the year saw the deaths of 25,925 men and 25,609 women, of whom 2,987 men and 2,565 women had Covid-19 as the cause of death.

The average age of those dead of Covid-19 was 80.4 years for men and 85.0 years for women.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Good news for those of you with young children. They just announced that Santa Claus has a natural immunity to the Coronavirus and thus, won’t be spreading the disease this Christmas.

Turns out he’s chock full of Santibodies.
Our Christmas is covered by Baby Jesus, so we're fine as well. No need for physical travel, when you are the miracle worker.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events