OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Right now that's not even close to being required though. The airports are literally so empty that you can go through airport screening in basically no time. That will probably change as more people start trying to fly again. At least according to my brother-in-law who flies for American Airlines who is just now coming off of a furlough.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Right now that's not even close to being required though. The airports are literally so empty that you can go through airport screening in basically no time. That will probably change as more people start trying to fly again. At least according to my brother-in-law who flies for American Airlines who is just now coming off of a furlough.
I think that was more of a “what will it look like when things get back to normal” type thing. I don’t necessarily think it’ll happen...but maybe.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was referring to the “new normal” air travel pic that blueridgegal posted ... it referenced arriving 4 hours early for flights for full sanitation purposes.
ah, got it.

From what I can tell, that graphic was put together by some marketing group, not the FAA, airlines, CDC, etc.,

maybe some of those measures will be adopted, but can’t see all of that happening. American Airlines sent out an email a while back saying they were going to implement social distancing when seating people “when possible “. Yet they (understandably) can’t operate on 1/4 full flights so cancelled most flights and the remaining flights are now fuller so it’s not possible to have a lot of room on many flights.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I gotta start flying, weekly, in June. Going to enjoy the extra space.
I’m not sure you will have that much extra space, at least on the plane. Airlines will schedule as few flights as possible to try and keep planes full.

Airports will probably be sparsely populated for a while though.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
At that point you may as well just drive

All things considered, I'm much more likely to drive anyway, for any distance of 12 hours or less. Chicago, NYC, Boston, Toronto: I'll set up conference calls to eat up the drive time both ways.

If the self driving car industry can manage to put together some kind of hotel room on wheels in the next decade, the airline industry will be screwed. People already hate being in close proximity on airlines, and this is gonna make it so much worse.

Imagine getting into a nice luxury sedan, built for one, sanitized, with a fully reclining seat and a miracle suspension, that picks you up at 10pm in Raleigh and drops you off at 7am in midtown Manhattan, right at a mini-motel where you can freshen up before your 9am meeting. If you need to go to the bathroom at 4am, you push a button and the car stops at the nearest travel waypoint. No TSA lines, no middle seats, no crowding against other folks.

I don't know when that shit is gonna happen, but it's gonna happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Man, this is a sobering and sad story out of rural GA.

'It's gone haywire': When COVID arrived in rural America

5 of the top 10 counties in the US in terms of Covid 19 deaths / capital are in rural GA, yet it is one of the first states to open up. I get that it's small total numbers due to lower populations in those counties, but it's pretty devastating. According to the article, some of them aren't opening up stores, etc....even though they can. Really shows how badly the economically disadvantaged communities get hit even harder because of the situation. Young people moving out of the area over time because of lack of opportunities, which in turn means the population generally older and more at risk. Lack of medical care and low income means they typically have more pre-existing conditions and more difficulty in fighting something like this as there aren't nearby medical facilities (1 hospital serves 800,000 people in a 50+ mile radius in all directions). Just bad all around.

Some comments for those that don't want to read the article:

The hospital saw its first known coronavirus patient on March 10; within a few days, it had 60 and the ICU was full. Two weeks later, patients began flooding in from farther-flung rural communities. Helicopters buzzed from the top of the parking garage, flying patients to other hospitals that still had room to take them.

They burned through six months of masks and gowns in six days, said Phoebe Putney (hospital) president Scott Steiner. Then they were competing for supplies against wealthier, more politically powerful places; they paid $1 each for surgical masks that typically cost a nickel and were losing about $1 million each day.

The county coroner typically works between 38 and 50 deaths a year; they reached No. 41 by mid-April. They ordered an emergency morgue.

Georgia has lost seven rural hospitals in the last decade.
Nine counties in rural Georgia don’t even have a doctor
18 have no family practitioner
60 have no pediatrician

77 without a psychiatrist.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't know when that shit is gonna happen, but it's gonna happen.

I agree the scenario you explained is going to happen (probably not soon), but I think when we come out of this, we are going to see a lot of innovation driven by automation, AI, and cognitive capability; and 5G will be an even bigger boost to accelerate that.

Businesses are realizing even more-so now, how dependent they've been on the workforce when it comes to not only production, but the supply chain. Companies will look for ways to mitigate the risk of another pandemic on their business and thus use automation and other means to help achieve that. "Just in time" supply chain was what most business strove to achieve because of cost benefits, but it also crippled many businesses during this pandemic as their supply chain dried up. This was happening even before it hit the US as Chinese factories shut down for 3 weeks back in Jan/Feb. Even IT outsourcers are finding that in certain countries, their IT workers can't work from home (India doesn't have the infrastructure in all places that allow it everywhere).

We've already seen a lot more "self check-out" at grocery stores, home depot, Lowes, etc.. and we'll see that become even more pervasive, as well as curbside pickup and delivery IMO as companies realize that a human cashier is "at risk" when we have something like this.

The job market is going to change when we come out of this, no doubt.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I agree the scenario you explained is going to happen (probably not soon), but I think when we come out of this, we are going to see a lot of innovation driven by automation, AI, and cognitive capability; and 5G will be an even bigger boost to accelerate that.

Businesses are realizing even more-so now, how dependent they've been on the workforce when it comes to not only production, but the supply chain. Companies will look for ways to mitigate the risk of another pandemic on their business and thus use automation and other means to help achieve that. "Just in time" supply chain was what most business strove to achieve because of cost benefits, but it also crippled many businesses during this pandemic as their supply chain dried up. This was happening even before it hit the US as Chinese factories shut down for 3 weeks back in Jan/Feb. Even IT outsourcers are finding that in certain countries, their IT workers can't work from home (India doesn't have the infrastructure in all places that allow it everywhere).

We've already seen a lot more "self check-out" at grocery stores, home depot, Lowes, etc.. and we'll see that become even more pervasive, as well as curbside pickup and delivery IMO as companies realize that a human cashier is "at risk" when we have something like this.

Well, I happen to work on a software automation platform, so lucky me.

Kids, learn your maths, so that you can get your AI/ML certification and make $500k/yr to start.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Man, this is a sobering and sad story out of rural GA.

'It's gone haywire': When COVID arrived in rural America

5 of the top 10 counties in the US in terms of Covid 19 deaths / capital are in rural GA, yet it is one of the first states to open up. I get that it's small total numbers due to lower populations in those counties, but it's pretty devastating. According to the article, some of them aren't opening up stores, etc....even though they can. Really shows how badly the economically disadvantaged communities get hit even harder because of the situation. Young people moving out of the area over time because of lack of opportunities, which in turn means the population generally older and more at risk. Lack of medical care and low income means they typically have more pre-existing conditions and more difficulty in fighting something like this as there aren't nearby medical facilities (1 hospital serves 800,000 people in a 50+ mile radius in all directions). Just bad all around.

Some comments for those that don't want to read the article:

The hospital saw its first known coronavirus patient on March 10; within a few days, it had 60 and the ICU was full. Two weeks later, patients began flooding in from farther-flung rural communities. Helicopters buzzed from the top of the parking garage, flying patients to other hospitals that still had room to take them.

They burned through six months of masks and gowns in six days, said Phoebe Putney (hospital) president Scott Steiner. Then they were competing for supplies against wealthier, more politically powerful places; they paid $1 each for surgical masks that typically cost a nickel and were losing about $1 million each day.

The county coroner typically works between 38 and 50 deaths a year; they reached No. 41 by mid-April. They ordered an emergency morgue.

Georgia has lost seven rural hospitals in the last decade.
Nine counties in rural Georgia don’t even have a doctor
18 have no family practitioner
60 have no pediatrician

77 without a psychiatrist.

I don't want to "like" this, but yes to all this.

A safety net is expensive. Poor people need it, and they need it the most when things go really south like this. Will it create political change? Maybe it will. Maybe it won't.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010

Speaking of the self checkouts, stores mostly Walmart because they have so many with so few attendants watching, are getting robbed blind. The only thing I can think of is that Walmart writes off the losses as money saved from not having to pay employees to run registers. The amount of stuff that gets stolen from either straight bagging or price changes that the associate doesn’t catch is crazy.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Speaking of the self checkouts, stores mostly Walmart because they have so many with so few attendants watching, are getting robbed blind. The only thing I can think of is that Walmart writes off the losses as money saved from not having to pay employees to run registers. The amount of stuff that gets stolen from either straight bagging or price changes that the associate doesn’t catch is crazy.
Been going on since I worked grocery stores in the 90s and I'm sure before it. I've always said the customer isn't always right, the customer is usually trying to pull a fast one. Increased automation just flat out makes shrink more and more inevitable.

Reactions: MustardStew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Been going on since I worked grocery stores in the 90s and I'm sure before it. I've always said the customer isn't always right, the customer is usually trying to pull a fast one. Increased automation just flat out makes shrink more and more inevitable.

Increased automated surveillance makes shrink less and less inevitable. It'll be a cat-and-mouse game for sure, but don't think for a second that there aren't machine learning teams working on identifying potential shoplifters from camera footage.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A good friend of my brother-in-law owns a bunch of mini-marts in up north. He told me that theft from vendors and employees FAR outweigh customer theft. He said vendors aren't watched closely when they load up the shelves and what they'll do is bring in a case of potato chips missing one bag that they took out and put 11 on the shelf even though they charge the store for 12. Eventually, they sell the stuff the "stole" to smaller stores for cash and pocket the money. He said the big joke is all the Frito-lay drivers have 2nd homes in Florida. I'm guessing that is getting tougher as stores electronically track inventory so much better now, but I bet it still goes on.

I worked in a grocery store as a kid, and I'd have to agree employee theft was probably worse than customers, and I wasn't even aware of vendor theft back then. I remember one guy use do "accidentally" damage something he wanted so he'd have to bring it to the back, then take it home or eat it right there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
A good friend of my brother-in-law owns a bunch of mini-marts in up north. He told me that theft from vendors and employees FAR outweigh customer theft. He said vendors aren't watched closely when they load up the shelves and what they'll do is bring in a case of potato chips missing one bag that they took out and put 11 on the shelf even though they charge the store for 12. Eventually, they sell the stuff the "stole" to smaller stores for cash and pocket the money. He said the big joke is all the Frito-lay drivers have 2nd homes in Florida. I'm guessing that is getting tougher as stores electronically track inventory so much better now, but I bet it still goes on.

I worked in a grocery store as a kid, and I'd have to agree employee theft was probably worse than customers, and I wasn't even aware of vendor theft back then. I remember one guy use do "accidentally" damage something he wanted so he'd have to bring it to the back, then take it home or eat it right there.

This would explain how a cousin-in-law's father worked as a Budweiser driver for 30 years and ended up with a riverside house, complete with a private beach and tiki bar.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I worked at a Food Lion in high school. The back room did not have AC, or if it did it was set much warmer than in the rest of the store. I remember on truck nights in the summer, the entire stocking crew would take breaks in the walk-in refrigerator or freezer together. We would open up one of the cases of juice or whatever drinks were on hand, and everybody grabbed a bottle. Nobody cared as long as the boss didn't see, because nobody actually took pride in their grocery store jobs.

From what I've heard of the profit margins in that business, if you lose one item out of a case, you have to sell the rest of the case just to break even. So imagine how many juice bottles they have to sell to make up for 6 or 8 guys standing in the freezer, each drinking a bottle or two a night, two or three times a week. And that's just one example. No wonder we had all those signs about shrink all over the back room.

I'm sure the vendors could get away with worse than that. Nobody was watching them.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Very frustrated right now. We are finding out the gender of our baby on Tuesday, and the OB-GYN will not let me go to the appointment, despite that the rest of the hospital it's associated with now has a one-visitor policy. This sucks.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Imagine being able to read emails and get your shit together in the car on the way to work instead of having to drive it

9512016818_b3a5a9d41a_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad