Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Tonic is a malaria medicine.

Hydroxychloroquine is a malaria medicine.

Hydroxychloroquine is also a coronavirus medicine.

I say she owes it to science to test this out. Thank you for your sacrifice @hblueridgegal
Yes! More than happy to take one for the team. Starting my new job has curtailed patio time so I need to make up for lost time.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
My parents just learned that TN is now open for business so they are already plotting a road trip to their favorite, always packed, restaurant across state lines in the Chutney/Erwin area. At least the pre-Covid drive with the Rhododendrons in bloom will be nice. My son is returning to his NYC apt today for no other reason than a change of pace. Going from quarantine in an 8000 sf home with grounds and an ocean nearby to being essentially locked in a 600 sf apt. for a few months. He will be WFHing for months.

I give up. Gonna be a multi G&T experience on the patio today.
Please tell us more about this 8000 sq ft house.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
My parents just learned that TN is now open for business so they are already plotting a road trip to their favorite, always packed, restaurant across state lines in the Chutney/Erwin area. At least the pre-Covid drive with the Rhododendrons in bloom will be nice. My son is returning to his NYC apt today for no other reason than a change of pace. Going from quarantine in an 8000 sf home with grounds and an ocean nearby to being essentially locked in a 600 sf apt. for a few months. He will be WFHing for months.

I give up. Gonna be a multi G&T experience on the patio today.
nice humblebrag about having 600 whole square feet in an NYC apartment

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
One thing is for sure: we need Apple and Google to get their contact tracing updates out, like, yesterday. Probably the single biggest thing that can move the needle at scale in any near term.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
No one has any real clue. They're just models, and models change constantly because the underlying data changes constantly. We understand so little. Our error bars have error bars that have error bars.

One of the biggest source of jokes in CZE during this thing is the government saying something optimistic and then saying the exact opposite the next day.

Prognoses are a bit shoddy these days.

Reactions: DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So I’m confused. With the data in the models basically double the death total in the US with the news of reopening.....why the f*** are they reopening?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So I’m confused. With the data in the models basically double the death total in the US with the news of reopening.....why the f*** are they reopening?
I need to get a haircut and I don’t trust myself to do it right. A few dead old people is a small price to pay for my hair looking fly.

421.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

The economy tanked, so the people in charge lost a lot of money. And in their corrupted minds, money is more important than those they consider to be expendable (which is just about everyone). So they're going to open everything up again and when it inevitably turns bad, they'll blame the same people being called heroes (ie: the doctors and scientists) for not getting this under control.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
The economy tanked, so the people in charge lost a lot of money. And in their corrupted minds, money is more important than those they consider to be expendable (which is just about everyone). So they're going to open everything up again and when it inevitably turns bad, they'll blame the same people being called heroes (ie: the doctors and scientists) for not getting this under control.
Sadly, I think you're right.

In 1940s Germany, fighter pilots were heroes until their leaders blamed them for losing the war. To them, the loss had nothing to do with the evil of their regime, the emotions it stirred up in the rest of the Western world, or the overwhelming force of the Allies' response. They laid it all at the feet of the people who actually did the fighting; they told the nation that their cities were blown up because the fighter pilots personally failed to stop the Allied bombers. Public opinion turned against the pilots.

Now, I'm not quite comparing our current administration to the Nazi leaders, and I'm certainly not comparing our front line workers to their fighter pilots, but I can absolutely see a similar dynamic unfolding in a few months. First, the people in charge publicly denied that there was even a problem, then they misinformed everybody as to the severity of it, then they grossly mishandled (and probably corrupted) the response to it, and now there's a good chance they'll undermine the efforts of everyone who actually did something to fight this thing.

When the second wave hits, it seems all too likely that scapegoating will be next. We're going to see a rerun of everything we've been through in the last couple of months, except next time, the people in charge will probably be shouting from the peanut gallery at the researchers and healthcare workers for not stopping it the first time. I just hope the public isn't stupid enough to believe them.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
When the economy tanks prolongedly, the little people will be hit too in various fashions that are going to show on the death statistic (both medical and suicidal).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sadly, I think you're right.

In 1940s Germany, fighter pilots were heroes until their leaders blamed them for losing the war. To them, the loss had nothing to do with the evil of their regime, the emotions it stirred up in the rest of the Western world, or the overwhelming force of the Allies' response. They laid it all at the feet of the people who actually did the fighting; they told the nation that their cities were blown up because the fighter pilots personally failed to stop the Allied bombers. Public opinion turned against the pilots.

Now, I'm not quite comparing our current administration to the Nazi leaders, and I'm certainly not comparing our front line workers to their fighter pilots, but I can absolutely see a similar dynamic unfolding in a few months. First, the people in charge publicly denied that there was even a problem, then they misinformed everybody as to the severity of it, then they grossly mishandled (and probably corrupted) the response to it, and now they're undermining the efforts of everyone who actually did something to fight this thing.

When the second wave hits, it seems all too likely that scapegoating will be next. We're going to see a rerun of everything we've been through in the last couple of months, except next time, the people in charge will probably be shouting from the peanut gallery at the researchers and healthcare workers for not stopping it the first time. I just hope the public isn't stupid enough to believe them.
Just yesterday one of the big issues was the semi-public ruminations of the Ministry of Social and Healthcare about the mandatody guidelines for the usage of protective gear and how they could/should/might be enforced by the national healthcare supervision agency.

Those in frontline seem to have taken it pretty universally as ivory tower people in the ministry covering their own asses at the expense of the lowest lever of management who have to deal with the fact that there just is not enough PPE to go around to fulfill such guidelines.

The CEO of our Supply Security Agency apparently got fired for the actual reason that the SHC minister suddenly issued a guideline prompting PPE to be used in the elderly care and that PPE a) wasn't anywhere, b) couldn't be sensibly obtained from anywhere and c) the agency didn't have procedures to obtain it anywhere because technically it wasn't their job to go shopping around, prompting the SSA to pick up the most shady partner who got the biggest promises.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I feel like we’ve been saying this way too much lately.

I used to not understand preppers, after seeing the response to this both by “normal” people, govt, and media, I’m ready to get out of Dodge.
I think a lot of people understand preppers now. We're going to be house shopping at some point, and the newest thing on my wish list is a bigass pantry or someplace to store a stockpile that can last a few months. As bad as this crisis has been, things can always get much worse.

All the way back in early March, I saw the fear grip people in both the media and in the world around me. At that point, I realized I was scared of the virus, but absolutely terrified of what other people were capable of when they were also sufficiently scared.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I feel like we’ve been saying this way too much lately.

I used to not understand preppers, after seeing the response to this both by “normal” people, govt, and media, I’m ready to get out of Dodge.
At work, we recently received a ton of new consumer research around Covid awareness and behaviors. A couple of insights that surprised me was that only 39% are concerned they will contract the virus. Among those at high risk and consider themselves to be well informed, it was 42% concerned. Worries about the impact on the economy outweigh concerns about community health by almost 20% in every sector (US, Global & Local).

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I think its pretty clear that the economic embargo of ourselves cannot continue much longer. From what we were told in the beginning- this was just going to be so we could "flatten the curve" and buy some time to get hospitals up to speed with ventilators, masks, etc. And I fully supported that, nonwithstanding many of my friends on the right who chose to deny the virus or obsess over their "rights". I tend to be more of a pragmatist.

This has slowly morphed into "AAAAAA we have to stay hunkered down for 18 months until there is vaccine or we're all dead" no doubt at the behest of some who would love nothing more than to see a total economic collapse that will leave capitalism itself completely discredited going forward.

Yes, opening up is going to cause a higher body count. But the amount of casualties that we'd take from a total societal collapse, which is what is on the horizon if this doesn't end soon, will make COVID-19 look like a f***ing squaredance.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, the new CDC projections sound bleak...

No one has any real clue. They're just models, and models change constantly because the underlying data changes constantly. We understand so little. Our error bars have error bars that have error bars.

Yep, I agree Hank. I believe by data, you also are referring to not only the cases/deaths numbers, but the underlying assumptions and both are correct statements.

That's what we have here. We have an inconsistent and haphazard approach to what each state (and county) is doing to reduce the spread of this virus. Probably more importantly, most of these models had an underlying assumption that social distancing and containment measures would remain in place until the rate of spread was minimized. The IHME model clearly stated that and now, the country is relaxing those restrictions and thus the underlying assumptions within the model are no longer valid. When you plug new assumptions into the model and update it with the new data, you get a big rise in the projections.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Maybe there's some of that, but I think that's a big oversimplification. There are a lot of people not in charge and not rich that are out of work, running out of money, and desperately trying to figure out how to feed their family, pay their mortgage, etc... IMO, those are the people that are striving to open things up as much as anyone, and that's understandable as we've never had a situation like this before.

RE: Scapegoating, it's already been going on so don't see that changing, just the target of the scapegoating will continue to change.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Maybe there's some of that, but I think that's a big oversimplification. There are a lot of people not in charge and not rich that are out of work, running out of money, and desperately trying to figure out how to feed their family, pay their mortgage, etc... IMO, those are the people that are striving to open things up as much as anyone, and that's understandable as we've never had a situation like this before.

RE: Scapegoating, it's already been going on so don't see that changing, just the target of the scapegoating will continue to change.

Agree. Those people protesting on the street aren't rich people, and they aren't for the most part selfish idiots who just want a haircut. They want their job back, their want their small business back before they get thrown out on the street, before their business dried up forever and can't be restarted.

And I'm not one of these super rich people, and I work in a field that is hardly impacted by this, but I sure as shit have enough socked away to float me a couple years if I had no income coming in.

The people who are really rich DGAF, they can just stay holed up in their mansions and ride it all out and write the losses off on their taxes. They have probably already made a killing shorting the market and will make a killing off it when it goes up again. They aren't the ones clamoring to go back to work.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I still don't understand them. Spend years preparing and bragging about hunkering down for the apocalypse, then when the opportunity arises to put their plan in place, they go demonstrate at the courthouse to reopen the government. They aren't really preppers, they are just contrarians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad