OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A friend posted, why are so many people so quick to denounce science. My reply was simply that it becomes inconvenient when it no longer fits the narrative they want to believe.
But also: you need funding to do science, and to get funding you need to please the one doing the funding.

Some conflicts of interests are too blatant to disregard, and some people using the title "researcher" are just too publicly too vocal about their favorite ideologies to be taken seriously, especially when presented as "researcher" in a likeminded media.

But on the positive note, some of those wrong-thinking people can do valid source criticism themselves too.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
My understanding is that YouTube is still considered to be a platform...as opposed to the alternative which is a publisher. They need to be considered an open platform in order to maintain immunity from litigation for posted content. Being a platform does not prevent them from doing some moderation and removing content, the key however is that the moderation be done in an even-handed way...they can't for instance start picking political sides.

On the topic of social media and Covid postings...I think YT removing any content that contradicts the WHO's perspective (I'm aware this is their stated position but not actually sure how much content is actually being removed) was unfortunate. What if, for instance, someone had posted that there was human-to-human transmission when the WHO said it wasn't possible. Allowing some postings for Covid discussion and pulling others seems to be a messy path to go down IMO.

I'm also aware of FB removing pages of people who posted video of reopen protests which I think is also unfortunate. One in particular is an influencer of sorts for the firearm world...based in NC...went to a reopen protest in NC, posted video of it, and his FB page was promptly removed.

My preference would be to keep everything open as much as possible, but managing these behemoths is a huge challenge and they will never make everyone happy. If YT left everything open, including videos instructing people to drink aquarium cleaner and turn off their 5G phone, I'm sure they'd get accused of giving dummies a platform (which is part of hosting a platform) and thus endangering the public.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just recently a number of Finnish animal hobbyist groups just disappeared from the Facebook out of blue sky.

What happened was that PETA had acquired a number of Facebook stocks and got to impose their own ideology as a FB policy. Any post of any content not to their liking and the eager reporters can get the whole group insta-deleted like it never was.

This is an issue we will be discussing a lot in the future.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If you scroll through FB, you'll see tons of seemingly smart people posting absolute BS because it agrees with their narrative or feels...and then all their friends like/love/share it. Nobody verifies anything, they just post what they agree with even if it's from false information. And if you call them out for it, you pretty much just get ignored/overlooked. This is why we have a resurgence of Flat Earthers!!
Exactly what I’m talking about. IMO, The problem isn’t the media (like so many seem to claim), it’s how we react to the information we receive.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Exactly what I’m talking about. IMO, The problem isn’t the media (like so many seem to claim), it’s how we react to the information we receive.
The media plays to this though as well, they'll post something with a misleading headline knowing people will just roll with that and not read the details. You'll see "unarmed man killed" (story: after stabbing 10 people and charging cops), or "pitbull attacks" (story: pitbull bites abuser), or "vaccines cause autism" (story: there's a miniscule link between vaccines & autism but correlation =/= causation). The onus is on the reader to fact-check these days, but there's no accountability either...they're business looking for good stories and ratings rather than investigating true details...it's why you get Fox News and MSNBC with diametric stories on the same thing

Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
True, but you control how you react to narratives you are exposed to, and most times, you can verify the information that supports that narrative.
In theory. In practice I get bombarded 24/7 with internet links in the form of headlines after headlines that are not-at-all in line with the actual articles to which the links link to.

"Had you opened the link you could have read that we didn't actually try to claim such a thing." But I can't open and verify every link. For the most part I can't help but to get mentally imprinted with your intentionally faulty headlines that are for clickbaiting at best and something much more sinister at worst. Especially on the matters that are not among my primary interests and on which I have not adequate knowledge on and no interest to get one.

The people in control of what I see and what I don't see are in control.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I used to think this way. I'm not so sure anymore.

Like Lempo says, no one has time to investigate the truth of all the things in the world. So we choose filters of all kinds to make life easier -- and those filters, over time, become our actual reality.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I used to think this way. I'm not so sure anymore.

Like Lempo says, no one has time to investigate the truth of all the things in the world. So we choose filters of all kinds to make life easier -- and those filters, over time, become our actual reality.
GettyImages-11410491702-07f03ccd0eb54d36a9b62212cd2f55a1.jpg

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And I made the mistake to google and now Pixar is also apparently humanizing non-human objects in their films to mass -preparate-prepare the mankind for the time there will be androids and whatnot and the question on whether they have a personhood needs to be solved.

(Has the State of Texas executed a corporation yet?)

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And I made the mistake to google and now Pixar is also apparently humanizing non-human objects in their films to mass -preparate-prepare the mankind for the time there will be androids and whatnot and the question on whether they have a personhood needs to be solved.

(Has the State of Texas executed a corporation yet?)

IDK if you’ve seen Wall-E but it’s a terrifyingly possible humankind killing itself. In a G rated kids movie. It’s f***ed.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There's enough die cast Cars laying around in my house to not be very recipient to consumerism criticism brought to me by Pixar.

The wife went out of her way to get the Apple Nascar one.

Reactions: bleedgreen

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Wall-E was almost the perfect movie. If they'd had the guts to leave Wall-E's memory rebooted, it would have been the perfect movie.
I just watched it with my three year old over the last three weeks. That was my main impression. Perfect until the last like 2 minutes on Earth.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
My parents just learned that TN is now open for business so they are already plotting a road trip to their favorite, always packed, restaurant across state lines in the Chutney/Erwin area. At least the pre-Covid drive with the Rhododendrons in bloom will be nice. My son is returning to his NYC apt today for no other reason than a change of pace. Going from quarantine in an 8000 sf home with grounds and an ocean nearby to being essentially locked in a 600 sf apt. for a few months. He will be WFHing for months.

I give up. Gonna be a multi G&T experience on the patio today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->