News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scherbak if you count him depending on cutoff of NHL games played. Plus there's no way he's going to be in the AHL anymore but while i don't think he'll be a 1st liner under Julien I do think he can be one as he's got such an elite level passing game with a heck of a shot as well. Just needs a good bit of work on his overall game.

But while I could see Brook being a top pairing D, he needs to take a big step forward in improving his shot, just can't consider him a top pairing D with just 3 goals. I got to think I'm one of his biggest fans around here but that's the main part of his game I want to see improved.

Juulsen I don't count as a top pairing D on a contender until his offensive game improves, he really struggled to produce in his first pro season, although he should never have been called up as he was just starting to put together some offense after getting points in just 1 of his first 26 games.
Juulsen is intriguing because his skills are evident and he can be quite assertive once he passes the blue line, he's even showed some good offense in the NHL, but ultimately, he didn't produce. I just can't see how Juulsen doesn't produce, he's got literally every thing you want in a defender to produce offense, his ability to walk the line offensively and his shot alone should be good to make him a 30ish points D, kinda like Petry is.

I guess rushing him around doesn't help, and him being more focused on the defensive side too.

IMO, he's the toolsiest defender in our pool, Mete included, with Tyszka, but the two seem to lack a certain something, maybe its just mindset, maybe its IQ.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Juulsen is intriguing because his skills are evident and he can be quite assertive once he passes the blue line, he's even showed some good offense in the NHL, but ultimately, he didn't produce. I just can't see how Juulsen doesn't produce, he's got literally every thing you want in a defender to produce offense, his ability to walk the line offensively and his shot alone should be good to make him a 30ish points D, kinda like Petry is.

I guess rushing him around doesn't help, and him being more focused on the defensive side too.

IMO, he's the toolsiest defender in our pool, Mete included, with Tyszka, but the two seem to lack a certain something, maybe its just mindset, maybe its IQ.

I've had Juulsen as a sure bet to make the NHL but had concerns over his lack of offensive upside, mobility. His defensive game is just so good and I really like his physical game. Just hate that he's in the NHL, really wish they let him stay in the AHL to work on his offensive game. With that big shot I do think he'll put up some points but hard to say how many.

I have Brook as the most tools, he doesn't have Juulsen's shot or physical game but his defensive game isn't that far behind while being a much better puck mover but where he really is ahead is the skating, speed and mobility.

Mete has no shot and Tyszka is poor defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've had Juulsen as a sure bet to make the NHL but had concerns over his lack of offensive upside, mobility. His defensive game is just so good and I really like his physical game. Just hate that he's in the NHL, really wish they let him stay in the AHL to work on his offensive game. With that big shot I do think he'll put up some points but hard to say how many.

I have Brook as the most tools, he doesn't have Juulsen's shot or physical game but his defensive game isn't that far behind while being a much better puck mover but where he really is ahead is the skating, speed and mobility.

Mete has no shot and Tyszka is poor defensively.

Accurate breakdown on Juulsen and Brook. Totally agree.

As far as Mete, he drives me nuts cause his skating is elite level but he has no shot. He's going to get into scoring areas but won't be able to finish. Someone in the Habs organization needs to have him stay after practice and work on his shot. Try different sticks and curves. Experiment with it. If this kid can develop a shot, he's going to be crazy good. Forearm strength helps. Lots of things he can do to get better.

Don't know much about Tyszka.

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Accurate breakdown on Juulsen and Brook. Totally agree.

As far as Mete, he drives me nuts cause his skating is elite level but he has no shot. He's going to get into scoring areas but won't be able to finish. Someone in the Habs organization needs to have him stay after practice and work on his shot. Try different sticks and curves. Experiment with it. If this kid can develop a shot, he's going to be crazy good. Forearm strength helps. Lots of things he can do to get better.

Don't know much about Tyszka.

That's why I don't view Mete as a top pairing D and even question him being a 2nd pairing D on a top team. On the Habs it shouldn't be too hard since our blueline is one of the worst in the league. If he can get stronger and just develop his shot a bit more it will help. Doesn't need to be overpowering but have the confidence to use it and get it on net consistently.

Tyszka is interesting for sure. He's got the physical tools, size, skating, speed, mobility. He can move the puck and seems to have a decent understanding of what to do in the offensive zone. His problem is that he struggles in his own end, needs to make better decisions, better positioning. But if he can work on it, and say improve on it over a few years in the AHL, they might have something decent there.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's why I don't view Mete as a top pairing D and even question him being a 2nd pairing D on a top team. On the Habs it shouldn't be too hard since our blueline is one of the worst in the league. If he can get stronger and just develop his shot a bit more it will help. Doesn't need to be overpowering but have the confidence to use it and get it on net consistently.

Tyszka is interesting for sure. He's got the physical tools, size, skating, speed, mobility. He can move the puck and seems to have a decent understanding of what to do in the offensive zone. His problem is that he struggles in his own end, needs to make better decisions, better positioning. But if he can work on it, and say improve on it over a few years in the AHL, they might have something decent there.

I'm with you on Mete. I like him but I'm not as high on him as most are. I do think he fits well with Weber at the moment though. My problem is his shot and size. He will be a focus of attack by the other team and I did predict an injury to him last year before he did actually get hurt. He can escape pressure more often than not but when he runs out of space, those big forwards are going to punish him. He needs to bulk up if he is going to survive a 82 game schedule IMO.

I'll keep an eye out on Tyszka. I did read something on him a while ago where he will have a big role on his junior team this year. Will be interesting to see how he performs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm with you on Mete. I like him but I'm not as high on him as most are. I do think he fits well with Weber at the moment though. My problem is his shot and size. He will be a focus of attack by the other team and I did predict an injury to him last year before he did actually get hurt. He can escape pressure more often than not but when he runs out of space, those big forwards are going to punish him. He needs to bulk up if he is going to survive a 82 game schedule IMO.

I'll keep an eye out on Tyszka. I did read something on him a while ago where he will have a big role on his junior team this year. Will be interesting to see how he performs.

I really like Mete's defensive game, positioning and how well he uses his stick. It will be interesting to see what they do with him, if they let him try to work on his offensive game in the AHL or once again rush him to the NHL.

Tyszka was on the 2nd pairing but with Ottenbreit gone he'll be on the 1st pairing.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Taking a look at the past rankings, looks like his view of the Habs prospect pool is good for the first time in long time.

2018: 6
2017: 23
2016: 15
2015: 17
2014: 10
2013: 13
2012: 10

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Now that we've seen Fleury in action, does he not deserve to be moved up the list? Even at such a young age Fleury has very little holes in his game and he has a ton of upside. He has such a good pro ready game and he keeps getting better.

Imo Fleury will be the stud 2 way D prospect that alot of Habs fans thought Juulsen would be. Reastically i think Juulsen tops out as a steady #4 dman (if he keeps improving) but ive always thought that Fleury's toolset would allow him to be a higher end dman.

In any case i'm glad that we finally have some promising prospects coming up.. its been a long time coming.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Now that we've seen Fleury in action, does he not deserve to be moved up the list? Even at such a young age Fleury has very little holes in his game and he has a ton of upside. He has such a good pro ready game and he keeps getting better.

Imo Fleury will be the stud 2 way D prospect that alot of Habs fans thought Juulsen would be. Reastically i think Juulsen tops out as a steady #4 dman (if he keeps improving) but ive always thought that Fleury's toolset would allow him to be a higher end dman.

In any case i'm glad that we finally have some promising prospects coming up.. its been a long time coming.
Who moves down? Primeau? Yolo?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Who moves down? Primeau? Yolo?

Our list was put together before getting Suzuki, so obviously he'd be #2. I'd still have Poehling at 3, Mete at 4 but to me Fleury comes in at 5. That's how impressed i've been by him, he came in as a rookie and hes been one of our best players game in/game out.

Some players just have a presence about them, when you watch Fleury you can tell that he's a guaranteed top 4 dman in the NHL at the bare minimum. I think he has all the tools to be an even higher impact dman than that but thats where his development and off ice training comes into play.

Look at Dotchin for example, kid looked like a good player but he has no drive/professionalism/work ethic. Having the tools is only half the battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Our list was put together before getting Suzuki, so obviously he'd be #2. I'd still have Poehling at 3, Mete at 4 but to me Fleury comes in at 5. That's how impressed i've been by him, he came in as a rookie and hes been one of our best players game in/game out.

Some players just have a presence about them, when you watch Fleury you can tell that he's a guaranteed top 4 dman in the NHL at the bare minimum. I think he has all the tools to be an even higher impact dman than that but thats where his development and off ice training comes into play.

Look at Dotchin for example, kid looked like a good player but he has no drive/professionalism/work ethic. Having the tools is only half the battle.
I haven’t watched Fleury this year but liked what I saw at the Memorial Cup. Though I see him as more of a bottom 4 guy.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The great part is that they should all be playing in the WJC. Let's see where they're at against players of their age group.
More than just those four.

Brook
Suzuki
Ylonen
Ikonen
Primeau
Poehling
Olofsson
Romanov

could all crack their respective WJC teams

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Everyone's favourite scout Corey Pronman thinks that as of right now, Josh Brook is on the bubble for potential to be a top-4 NHL defender.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm nicer to Pronman than most, but I don't see how you can see Brook play this season and think he barely has top 4 potential. Might have just worded his response incorrectly but it surely didn't look too good.
It's all about how he translates. I think Pronman is talking about how he will translate - what he will become. If he's right - that would be pretty great.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Everyone's favourite scout Corey Pronman thinks that as of right now, Josh Brook is on the bubble for potential to be a top-4 NHL defender.

He was pretty low on Brook before and scouts tend to stubbornly stick to their initial analysis.

EDIT: I'm reading through the Q & A, he's skeptical that Sandin becomes a top-4 D too. So you kind of have to grade his opinion of a prospect against his general opinions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad