News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm curious to see who you guys consider true high end talent if you don't think we have at least one.

They are talking about franchise players like Dahlin. It's true we lack this type of player but the group we have is very solid. Especially the top end guys in Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Primeau.

I wonder, is Hischer or Zadina franchise players? How about Svechnikov? I get your point

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wonder where he and the other sites ranked Montreal from 2013-2017.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If you look at recent Cup winners, you'll see that they had elite talent: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Kopitar, Chara, Doughty, etc.

None of the Habs players or prospects project to be on that level, hence they need two additional tanking years.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
To me Scherbak, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Brook and even Juulsen project as first liner/top pairing.

Stop being so homer.

Nobody is top line. everybody is 2nd line, 2nd pairing.

Nobody is scoring 60 points at 19 years old in the NHL. Or nobody is way ahead of the curve on D.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you look at recent Cup winners, you'll see that they had elite talent: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Kopitar, Chara, Doughty, etc.

None of the Habs players or prospects project to be on that level, hence they need two additional tanking years.
The players bolded above, when they were drafted weren't necessarily considered to become elite talents...

If teams thought Evgeny Kuznetsov would be an elite player, he wouldn't of lasted to the 26th pick of the 2010 draft.

Zdeno Chara was like a giraffe on skates his first few years in the NHL.

So i'm not sure it's fair to say no Habs players or prospect project to be elite...we don't know that yet and many factors influence that.

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kuznetsov, Kopitar, Chara, Keith, Letang were in a similar spot to Suzuki, Brook and Kotkaniemi.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Kuznetsov, Kopitar, Chara, Keith, Letang were in a similar spot to Suzuki, Brook and Kotkaniemi.

Yes and they all (minus Chara) played on teams with other elite talents.

There are no cases other than Boston of the entire core overachieving.

Also, do you really think that Brook should be used as an analogy for Chara?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes and they all (minus Chara) played on teams with other elite talents.

There are no cases other than Boston of the entire core overachieving.

Also, do you really think that Brook should be used as an analogy for Chara?

Chara is an exceptional player for sure, but he wasn't exceptional at the start of his career.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Stop being so homer.

Nobody is top line. everybody is 2nd line, 2nd pairing.

Nobody is scoring 60 points at 19 years old in the NHL. Or nobody is way ahead of the curve on D.

lol according to who? nobody knows how they will develop to but automatically think none of them, especially suzuki and kotka cant be first liners is extremely short sighted. why are so many habs fans negative and clueless? damn its sad.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Pronman have kotka #8, suzuki #34, ylonen #38, poehling #44, juulsen #88 and HM to Ikonen. Primeau being #9 on the goalie list

Reactions: Mrb1p

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
lol according to who? nobody knows how they will develop to but automatically think none of them, especially suzuki and kotka cant be first liners is extremely short sighted. why are so many habs fans negative and clueless? damn its sad.

Saying that none of them will be top line players is probably more correct than projecting all of them to be top line players, even if both takes are probably wrong.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's fair to expect one or two of them to exceed expectations. But that still won't good enough to compete.

MC94

May 13, 2018

Well some seem to think kotka has a chance to be a kopitar although unlikely

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well some seem to think kotka has a chance to be a kopitar although unlikely

Last year's team was awful, and will need to replace Pacioretty, Price, and Weber just to stay level with terrible. The rebuild is just starting.

NM the fact that these guys need to be developed properly.

Reactions: sandviper

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To me Scherbak, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Brook and even Juulsen project as first liner/top pairing.

Scherbak if you count him depending on cutoff of NHL games played. Plus there's no way he's going to be in the AHL anymore but while i don't think he'll be a 1st liner under Julien I do think he can be one as he's got such an elite level passing game with a heck of a shot as well. Just needs a good bit of work on his overall game.

But while I could see Brook being a top pairing D, he needs to take a big step forward in improving his shot, just can't consider him a top pairing D with just 3 goals. I got to think I'm one of his biggest fans around here but that's the main part of his game I want to see improved.

Juulsen I don't count as a top pairing D on a contender until his offensive game improves, he really struggled to produce in his first pro season, although he should never have been called up as he was just starting to put together some offense after getting points in just 1 of his first 26 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad