News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
sure we can, if we think he could be better then he is now if not rushed. For sure he's doing great when you consider how young he is, how tough it is to play top pairing D especially for someone undersized like him, plus being a mid round pick. It was clearly a very good pick by Timmins and his staff but you can still openly question if it was the smart move to play him in the NHL at 19 and now he has to go every day hearing will you ever score a goal? That has to be very tough mentally and confidence wise to go through and the question is did he really need to go through it?

There is no reason to believe that playing in London or Laval instead of Montreal would have made him improve his shot more. I mean he did score a goal in Laval, and it hasn't made a difference yet in the NHL. He will eventually score a goal, and more than one. But he doesn't need to be scoring goals to help the team. Just carrying the play helps a lot because he can get out of his own zone when there is pressure. That's a great quality.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There is no reason to believe that playing in London or Laval instead of Montreal would have made him improve his shot more. I mean he did score a goal in Laval, and it hasn't made a difference yet in the NHL. He will eventually score a goal, and more than one. But he doesn't need to be scoring goals to help the team. Just carrying the play helps a lot because he can get out of his own zone when there is pressure. That's a great quality.

of course there is, for one thing there's confidence and not having to go through reporters and fans asking you every day the same question. He only played 7 games in Laval this year, who's to say that spending a full year where it would be easier to score and less pressure that if he were to start potting them he could get more confidence in his shot to use it more and thus led to more points.

You don't need great strength to score goals but if you mess with confidence it can be very hard to get back. To me it's one of the main reasons why you shouldn't rush kids that aren't ready unless you are sure they can handle it mentally.

But if he's going to be on the top pairing, he HAS to score goals to some degree if we want to be contenders.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
of course there is, for one thing there's confidence and not having to go through reporters and fans asking you every day the same question. He only played 7 games in Laval this year, who's to say that spending a full year where it would be easier to score and less pressure that if he were to start potting them he could get more confidence in his shot to use it more and thus led to more points.

You don't need great strength to score goals but if you mess with confidence it can be very hard to get back. To me it's one of the main reasons why you shouldn't rush kids that aren't ready unless you are sure they can handle it mentally.

But if he's going to be on the top pairing, he HAS to score goals to some degree if we want to be contenders.
Like I said, he should be 4/5 but that is not a development issue but a roster issue.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like I said, he should be 4/5 but that is not a development issue but a roster issue.

it is to a degree, once you start playing these kids above where they should be you don't know what impact it will have on their game. If he's playing a ton in the AHL and building off that, imo that's how you want to develop someone, let them learn and grow in a situation that isn't so pressure fueled unless they are elite talent like Crosby, etc...

If he should be a 4 or 5 then the Habs should be doing what's best for him and playing him there, not risking damaging his future just to get a few more points this season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
it is to a degree, once you start playing these kids above where they should be you don't know what impact it will have on their game. If he's playing a ton in the AHL and building off that, imo that's how you want to develop someone, let them learn and grow in a situation that isn't so pressure fueled unless they are elite talent like Crosby, etc...

If he should be a 4 or 5 then the Habs should be doing what's best for him and playing him there, not risking damaging his future just to get a few more points this season.

It's just not logical to play him in the AHL when he is easily an NHL calibre defenceman. Last year was awkward the way he had to be sheltered but ineligible to be optioned to Laval, but this year he is clearly NHL calibre, especially since his return from the brief stint in Laval. I think he benefits from NHL coaching and opposition.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's just not logical to play him in the AHL when he is easily an NHL calibre defenceman. Last year was awkward the way he had to be sheltered but ineligible to be optioned to Laval, but this year he is clearly NHL calibre, especially since his return from the brief stint in Laval. I think he benefits from NHL coaching and opposition.

if you played him in the OHL last year, then you evaluate him at camp and unless he's outstanding you put him in the AHL and give him time to learn and grow. it's not about this year it's about what's best for him down the road, what will make him the best player. It certainly could be the NHL, but it's risky to put such a young, undersized player in such a difficult position where so much will be expected of him. So if it backfires and he never produces much in the way of offense it will be the usual fans that will just crap all over him and Timmins while not considering how it might of gone if this organization had a different approach to development that wasn't instant gratification based.

Reactions: psychonaut

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

But they are not damaging him. Benn spells for him on the PK and in the final two minutes of a game we are clinging to a lead. He is playing 17.5 minutes per game, jut like a 4/5 would.

I don't like Julien but I have to give kudos where they are due, and I think Luke Richardson has done a fantastic job with Victor Mete. Night and day versus last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But they are not damaging him. Benn spells for him on the PK and in the final two minutes of a game we are clinging to a lead. He is playing 17.5 minutes per game, jut like a 4/5 would.

I don't like Julien but I have to give kudos where they are due, and I think Luke Richardson has done a fantastic job with Victor Mete. Night and day versus last year.

we can't know what impact it's having on him. Some guys it won't bother them but others, growing up in Ont dreaming of being in the NHL and then going over 100 games without a goal and having to hear about it every day that's got to be very tough to deal with.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I am pretty sure I understand everything just fine. Juulsen will struggle to have an impact at the NHL level and mete won't. Nowhere did I compare their skillsets.

Juulsen doesn't have enough offensive skills to be in the top 4 and defensively he is full of holes too. He was getting walked once or twice every game. He may improve to be a bottom 6 guy, but that's his ceiling IMO. Mete is just has a much bigger positive outcome on the game regardless of the differences in skill sets and no team needs a dman that is an offensive black hole and poor defensively.

Mete gotta score a f***ing point more than every other 10 games tho

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I remember people telling me the same thing about Pac when I bought a centennial jersey of him.
Yea me too. People are too quick to right off players but many also are also quick to anoint a player the next Crosby after 3 games .
Remember kk are rookie camp , damn we were screwed.
Though will bitten was the next coming !

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He had the third highest minutes per game for our D when he went down for injury... Not sure what your arguing against.

Did you see our D and he looked terrible every game I watched. He reminds me of a right-handed Phaneuf with way less skill. He's a dime a dozen and not a core player on any future habs team. He may carve out a 3rd pairing role somewhere, but that's about it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Yea me too. People are too quick to right off players but many also are also quick to anoint a player the next Crosby after 3 games .
Remember kk are rookie camp , damn we were screwed.
Though will bitten was the next coming !

Funny since the person you are quoting was adamant keeping KK here was going to ruin his development.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I just responded to your post today. Not sure what you posted in August to be honest. In any case, did I expect our drafted prospects to move us up 20 positions in a quality seasonal ranking? No, not at the time of the draft, but here we are. Our prospect pool has incredible potential and credibility.

The post of mine you quoted originally was from August. So basically you agree with what I said in that post at the time, but accidentally quoted me 6 months later?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is always a fun read.....but that's all there is to it. It means nothing. in 2017, we were 28. In 2019 we are 6th. In 2016, somebody had us 12th (putting Hudon and McCarron as an example of how fine this ranking was...). Based on what? Mostly projections. Are projections always correct? Obviously not. It looks good. It looks better than it ever did. But it doesn't mean they will all translate, Doesn't even mean half will. What this system STILL miss are elite prospects.

I'd take a team who has 2-3 elite prospects and nothing else, than a team who 10 has 10 good depth prospects. Not saying that's what we have...some in that list have some very nice attributes.....but quality will always surpass quantity UNLESS you have a GM who is able to transfrom a pen into a yacht....

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Did you see our D and he looked terrible every game I watched. He reminds me of a right-handed Phaneuf with way less skill. He's a dime a dozen and not a core player on any future habs team. He may carve out a 3rd pairing role somewhere, but that's about it.

He had 3-4 bad games before being sent down, those must have been the only Habs games your u watched him play. His fall play was very good, Juulsen called him the Habs best defender for a couple games and MB praised him during the odd quarter season press conference he had. Juulsen had good games for 15-16 of the games he played this year and only struggled for the last 5. He was last on the d for turnovers, was producing at a 20 point pace (which was picking up) and he was even praised at one point for his good okay by an opposing coach. Tsn690 was even advocating in their annoying lunacy to trade Petry since Juulsen was ready.

He wasn't a first pairing guy but he is young enough for the Habs to not worry about him being a solid 3/4 for his career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its crazy how much revisionist history goes around these parts from both Mete and Juulsen. People act like theyre both mega scrubs and all but they both have some of the best stats defensively and theyve had very few bad games.... and then you ignore the fact that theyre rookies ....

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The post of mine you quoted originally was from August. So basically you agree with what I said in that post at the time, but accidentally quoted me 6 months later?
Looks like it LOL Be good brother!

Reactions: Perrah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->