News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Good write up by Pronman...was surprised to see him have Ylonen over Poehling.

He seems pretty high on Fonstad & McShane too.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just put this in here....

[tweet]

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Im pretty weary of anyone who uses the current draft as a reason to bump a prospect pool 20 + spots. Every year people hype guys and then a year later it all regresses to the mean.

The big knock on the Habs prospect pool was high end talent. Even last year most people admitted we had good depth.

After reading Pronmans article and looking at our "top 10 under 23" I'm pretty excited. It's a solid list.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
ah i didn't know he wrote for the bloody athletic too! lol.

I'm sure it's great and I'm sure it's worth it and it's probably not that expensive but there's just something
galling about paying for hockey journalism.

I hear you, but it's totally worth it for me because it means there are no ads and there is a certain level of consistency you don't get elsewhere. So much "hockey journalism" is pretty bad... hopefully they at least help to raise the bar.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Im pretty weary of anyone who uses the current draft as a reason to bump a prospect pool 20 + spots. Every year people hype guys and then a year later it all regresses to the mean.

Every year. Not just their draft year.

And while I don't agree with Pronman's ranking, at least he's not stat watching, he actually scouts guys.

And the reality is that most top prospects that become top players make the NHL within a year or two of their draft. You have to consider recently drafted players greatly.

And rankings are an inexact science. Its a gauge, not a precision thing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm still mad Carolina got 2nd overall , they already have a stacked D and now they got an elite sniper...(Who reminds me of a faster Tarasenko so much it's scary)

No offense to Kotka who I am sure is going to be a good player but from what I've seen of Svech he's a special player.

I'm still mad we didn't get first OV. Although that might've saved Bergy's tush in the end.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The big knock on the Habs prospect pool was high end talent. Even last year most people admitted we had good depth.

After reading Pronmans article and looking at our "top 10 under 23" I'm pretty excited. It's a solid list.

Hopefully that problem should be addressed by the end of the upcoming season.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Huge progress in this pool. Habs taking top 6 has moved them up 20-something spots year-on-year. Taking a look at the top players under 23 for the Habs is also quite encouraging.

One thing I think we should note as Habs fans is how much we seem to underrate Ikonen compared to guys like Pronman and Mitch Brown, who actually scout these guys and both think he is among the best prospects on the Habs. Really looking forward to seeing how he does this year.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Corey Pronman of the Athletic just released the 6th best farm system, overall, in the league; the Habs.

He ranks Kotkaniemi as an "Elite prospect":
Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.

Theres, I believe, 6 prospects ranked in this category, and one in the other category, just above, Dahlin.

He ranks two of our prospects as "Very good prospects":
  • Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.

He ranks four of our prospects as "legit NHL prospects":
  • Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
He ranks 20 players on our pool, missing Gorniak, Tyszka and Romanov. The deepest pool in the league has 23 prospects of note, ours as 21, and I should add, these three are probably underrated by Pronman, a bit, mainly for being under the radar and not having impressive statistics.

You guys should check out the Athletics if you don't already, great sports articles.
Pronman: 2018-19 NHL farm system rankings

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Seems normal that a current draft plays a big impact on the prospect pool, especially if you have a top-pick. Your prospect pool is really only your last 3-4 drafts. So if a third of your pool is based on the latest draft it's normal that it would play a big impact.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Paywall Pronnie's Habs breakdown is unviewable. This year's draft selections must have tilted the balance, to say the least.

I don't remember where the Habs ranked last year. Tried to look it up and yes, Paywall Pronnie has his 2017 rankings also behind a paywall.

I'm all for the guy making a living but there is so much stuff available for free and so little time to view it all, that I can't get myself to pay for it. I have no doubt that it's quality content.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Paywall Pronnie's Habs breakdown is unviewable. This year's draft selections must have tilted the balance, to say the least.

I don't remember where the Habs ranked last year. Tried to look it up and yes, Paywall Pronnie has his 2017 rankings also behind a paywall.

I'm all for the guy making a living but there is so much stuff available for free and so little time to view it all, that I can't get myself to pay for it. I have no doubt that it's quality content.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

They jumped up 17 spots, all the way from 23.

You don't just get access to Pronmans stuff, its the whole Athletic stuff, for 30ish a year (75 I think if you get full price, which is hefty.)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They jumped up 17 spots, all the way from 23.

You don't just get access to Pronmans stuff, its the whole Athletic stuff, for 30ish a year (75 I think if you get full price, which is hefty.)

Thanks. I'm not looking for anything for free either. I'm just glad he casts the Habs prospects in such a favorable light.

Reactions: cphabs

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Seems normal that a current draft plays a big impact on the prospect pool, especially if you have a top-pick. Your prospect pool is really only your last 3-4 drafts. So if a third of your pool is based on the latest draft it's normal that it would play a big impact.

Yeah it is your last 3-4 drafts, Im not saying I didnt expect improvement but they were like late 20's last year werent they? I just dont see how 1 draft moves the needle that far when outside of the high end prospect most other teams added similar prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->