Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Last year's Perry never really got healthy, so I wouldn't necessarily use that as my measuring stick. Or are you talking about his decline in the years prior?

I understand the Marleau comparison for sure. But let's keep in mind that Marleau is 39 and his ceiling was all-star. Perry is 34 and his ceiling was Hart. I think that's quite a world of difference.

If we can trade Brown and give Perry 1 year @2 mil, I think that's a perfect gamble.

I’m talking about the recent years decline not just last year.

Perry and Marleau were very similar throughout their primes. Marleau actually had a longer prime but never hit Perry’s ceiling. Plus Marleau was a Ironman. Perry’s quite the opposite.

If we can move Brown and sign Perry for 1 million I’m on board. I cannot see another team not coming up with a better offer than that even just based on his name alone. Because if someone can reignite Perry they got an amazing player

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He can't skate and is a RW. If he wants to play for league min, I guess, but I'd rather add someone who can play C.
Be nice to have him in Tavares or Kadri's wing and move Kap/Willy to the left. Neither C plays with a ton of pace and he has the hands to keep up/finish plays.

Multi year deal for Perry? Hell no.
Depends on cap. I'd do 2x2

Reactions: Myopic

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nylander moves to the LW, where he should be.

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Perry
Moore - Gauthier - Mikheyev

This is how I see it with Perry involved. Really balances out our wings.
I'm not against trading Kadri, but that really hurts our bottom 6 badly. That takes us quickly imo from 3 line team to 2 line team, so for that reason I don't think it's gonna happen.

That would leave no money at all for improving the D, plus Mikheyev was not brought over to play on the 4th line. I think short term it does sort of work out because Dermott and Hyman both start the season on the LTIR so Mikheyev starts in Hyman's spot and Perry in Brown's. I don't see Perry signing for under $2M though so that creates a problem when ZH is back.

I think there has to be at least one winger dealt for defensive help and it comes back to Willie as the only guy that frees up enough cap to give some options. They need a backup too and if they are lucky enough to circle back to McIlhinney I see him looking for close to $2M x 2 (which I pay).

As for Kadri, trade him wherever you get the best value, but only once you have homed in on an affordable replacement. He is a cheap player for the upside, but he is not a cheap #3c when your top 2 should be playing 20:00 a night. They can get a younger and cheaper #3 guy capable of 30ES points a year and don't really need the 30+ 60+ upside Kadri offers. I still want Jenner from CBJ and if Duchene walks they will be looking for a top 6 center which Jenner is not.

Even with a cheap backup, a decent Marner deal, Perry playing for nickels, and Zaits moving with zero retained (not certain there) they need to resign Hainsey and get two top 4 RD and there really isn't enough money to do that. Tanev and Manson? Pesce and Manson? Miller and Savard? They need to find another $4M after getting rid of Zaitsev's salary.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is technically eligible for a one year incentive laden contract.

Since he has played more than 400 games, and spent more than 100 days on IR in the last year of his contract, he can be offered a one year contract with performance bonuses that would not apply until next year.

That might be the way to get him here.

I’m not super interested in giving him bonuses. More like a play for your future kind of deal.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Perry has made his money, I can see him coming home for 1.5 million to work with the leafs medical and training staff.

Johnsson/Moore-Kadri-Perry would be nasty to play against

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
why? Brown literally adds nothing to the team. Actually...he's a good PK guy. That's about it. for 2 mil i'd rather Perry than Brown.
Brown is 25 years old, good on the PK (as you noted), and could still get better. Put up 29 points, +11 in 82 games last year.

Perry is 34, declining hard, and put up 10 points, -16 in 31 games last year.

They’re similarly effective right now, Perry brings more size and agitation while Brown brings better speed and defensive play. Perry’s game is dropping off quickly though, he’s likely in his last year or two in the league, while Brown has many years left. So at the same price, give me Brown.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hyman starting the year hurt and Marner possible sitting at home sulking...we might need Perry more than some would care to admit lol Kadri thrives with a player to create havoc with him. Much like his two 32 goal years attached to offensively challenged Leo Komarov. Him and Perry could make magic I think

Reactions: Jmo89

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
If we can trade a bottom 6 for assets and free wallet him cheap, seems like a good move.

Reactions: kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He would create a much different dynamic and I think he could be a very cheap 20G/20A winger. Kadri needs someone with snarl on his line. I don't like the way Kadri handled his business in game 2 this year, but that game got totally out of hand and we have very few guys with push back and even fewer that'll drop the gloves. Kadri and Debrusk rolling around wrestling and face washing eachother. Then Kadri gets clipped knee on knee by Debrusk. And then finally snaps when Debrusk put Marleau into the rounded glass. Put him with Perry that doesn't get that far. Perry would have been filling Debrusk in when the he hit Kadri knee on knee. Instead nobody did anything to come to Kadri's defense. You need some guys out there that'll punch you in the mouth so people stop taking liberties. Both playoff Kadri got suspended trying to be the body guard. Coming to Mariner's aid, and coming to Marleau's aid. I think you see a different Kadri with Perry on his line. The team needs a few guys to make our stars feel safe come playoff time. Perry would help with that while still chipping in 20 goals. Seems worthwhile to me

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He would create a much different dynamic and I think he could be a very cheap 20G/20A winger. Kadri needs someone with snarl on his line. I don't like the way Kadri handled his business in game 2 this year, but that game got totally out of hand and we have very few guys with push back and even fewer that'll drop the gloves. Kadri and Debrusk rolling around wrestling and face washing eachother. Then Kadri gets clipped knee on knee by Debrusk. And then finally snaps when Debrusk put Marleau into the rounded glass. Put him with Perry that doesn't get that far. Perry would have been filling Debrusk in when the he hit Kadri knee on knee. Instead nobody did anything to come to Kadri's defense. You need some guys out there that'll punch you in the mouth so people stop taking liberties. Both playoff Kadri got suspended trying to be the body guard. Coming to Mariner's aid, and coming to Marleau's aid. I think you see a different Kadri with Perry on his line. The team needs a few guys to make our stars feel safe come playoff time. Perry would help with that while still chipping in 20 goals. Seems worthwhile to me

Yeah I don't think so. Leafs are under a completely different set of rules when they play the Bruins in the playoffs.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
13 pages on a guy who can't skate or score goals anymore...well, it wouldn't be the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad