Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Perry at 2 or less I'm fine with going 3yrs. He suddenly has a healthy year and throws up 25G/50pts (not unreasonable at all for him), we will kick ourselves for not getting another couple years of that. Due to his style of play he's likely to retire at 37 and live in London. 3 years would bring him right to retirement and assure him he can move home for good. If the number doesn't exceed 2, I pull that trigger all day long

Not for me, I'd need him to prove he can still play before I'd be giving him more than a one year "show me" deal

Older guys, injuries and term on deals scare the living **** out of me

Yeah, and thats when Dubas needs to step in and either wake him tf up, or fire him.

If he's not making in the 1's or less, it shouldn't even be a discussion. Guy needs to show he's not washed before getting a real contract again.

Nope. But one of my friends heard it from the mouth of one of Perry's best friends (who was reading a text chain with Perry between the two of them).

Yeah well it could be another 'savvy' move by Dubas assuming Babs plays him properly. He's still a decent player, and brings a bunch to the table, just nowhere near what he used to be.

Yep, sometimes I think Babcock needs to be saved from himself and I trust the front office and analytics departments to have a better gage on the player Perry is now rather than Babcock

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs have thr caproom I dont see much harm in a cheap 1 year deal. His sh% should rise a bit, at worst hed be a replacement level 4th liner.

Only risk would be Babs overplaying him

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Not for me, I'd need him to prove he can still play before I'd be giving him more than a one year "show me" deal

Older guys, injuries and term on deals scare the living **** out of me

Yep, sometimes I think Babcock needs to be saved from himself and I trust the front office and analytics departments to have a better gage on the player Perry is now rather than Babcock
I get it. But you have to gamble sometimes. Otherwise you get a great year from Perry at 2mil or less and then you have to let him go and replace him with a Marlie or a cheap grinder because he suddenly wants to re-up for 4million. It's a risk/reward thing unfortunately. He won't have 20+ goals and 50ish points and then resign again for peanuts. It comes down to what Dubas/Babs think he has left in his tank

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I get it. But you have to gamble sometimes. Otherwise you get a great year from Perry at 2mil or less and then you have to let him go and replace him with a Marlie or a cheap grinder because he suddenly wants to re-up for 4million. It's a risk/reward thing unfortunately. He won't have 20+ goals and 50ish points and then resign again for peanuts. It comes down to what Dubas/Babs think he has left in his tank

That's a bloody big gamble, we've tried betting on an old guy recently and it didn't go well

If he gives you a good year and you can't resign him so be it, give him 2 or 3 years and he sucks your in deep ****

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
That's a bloody big gamble, we've tried betting on an old guy recently and it didn't go well

If he gives you a good year and you can't resign him so be it, give him 2 or 3 years and he sucks your in deep ****
Agreed , not giving out another marleau contract

Reactions: Kiwi

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marleau had 27 goals in year 1 of 3. He was OK for 1.5 of the 3 seasons he was a Leaf. He was also 37 when he signed. My concern with Perry is how many miles he has on the odometer.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

I don't see betting 2 million x 3 on a 34 year old quite the same as 6.25 million x 3 on a then 37 year old. I get what you're saying but Marleau just put up 37 points in 82 games. I can promise you if Perry played 82, he tops that in his sleep. Discarding his coming in off an injury for 31 games last year, Perry had 49pts in 71 the year before that. And anywhere from 50-80 the handful of years prior. Marleau hadn't even hit 49pts in his last 2 years with the sharks in a full 82gms. Perry also brings an edge that Marleau doesn't and never has. It makes it easier to be impactful when not scoring if you're a pain in the a$$. I understand your point, I hate your comparison.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed , not giving out another marleau contract

Yeah, I hated that deal at the time and I'm not keen on taking that risk again anytime soon

Marleau had 27 goals in year 1 of 3. He was OK for 1.5 of the 3 seasons he was a Leaf. He was also 37 when he signed. My concern with Perry is how many miles he has on the odometer.

We gave up a 1st to move that contract year 3, he struggled mightily year 2 and was good year 1

Marleau was also unbelievably fit and hadn't had a history of major injury issues, which Perry has had and he plays a very tough style on the body

So I'd stick with 1 year at a time, no term for old guys like Perry Tone
If he wants to come on a 1 year deal I'm on board any more and I'm out

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't see betting 2 million x 3 on a 34 year old quite the same as 6.25 million x 3 on a then 37 year old. I get what you're saying but Marleau just put up 37 points in 82 games. I can promise you if Perry played 82, he tops that in his sleep. Discarding his coming in off an injury for 31 games last year, Perry had 49pts in 71 the year before that. And anywhere from 50-80 the handful of years prior. Marleau hadn't even hit 49pts in his last 2 years with the sharks in a full 82gms. Perry also brings an edge that Marleau doesn't and never has. It makes it easier to be impactful when not scoring if you're a pain in the a$$. I understand your point, I hate your comparison.

He's got to play those 82 games though, he's got some hard miles on that body and he's had some major injuries recently, his odds of 82 games aren't great and get worse in years 2 and 3

I just couldn't stomach it

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, I hated that deal at the time and I'm not keen on taking that risk again anytime soon

We gave up a 1st to move that contract year 3, he struggled mightily year 2 and was good year 1

Marleau was also unbelievably fit and hadn't had a history of major injury issues, which Perry has had and he plays a very tough style on the body

So I'd stick with 1 year at a time, no term for old guys like Perry Tone
If he wants to come on a 1 year deal I'm on board any more and I'm out

I agree. Perry only for 1 year at minimal money. It won't be the Marleau contract. Just listened to an interview with Dubas on TSN.ca discussing AJ and KK signings. He says he is looking for players looking for bounce back seasons alla Ennis. Perry could be one of those players.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree. Perry only for 1 year at minimal money. It won't be the Marleau contract. Just listened to an interview with Dubas on TSN.ca discussing AJ and KK signings. He says he is looking for players looking for bounce back seasons alla Ennis. Perry could be one of those players.

Love to give the guy an opportunity, if he's still got some gas in the tank there's no place better for him to showcase he's still worth a decent contract somewhere in a years time

I just don't want to be the team doing the second bit of that scenario

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He's got to play those 82 games though, he's got some hard miles on that body and he's had some major injuries recently, his odds of 82 games aren't great and get worse in years 2 and 3

I just couldn't stomach it
Besides 2013 and last year, (and a random 67gms in 2014-15), he's been a 70 plus games a year player. I think too many people are buying this injury stuff imo. 82,82,71 going into last year. They are hard miles but I think he could be a fit, I really do. Get why people would have the reservation on term though for sure though. Dubas said something about with little cap space looking around the edges at guys who want to rebuild their legacy. That screams Corey Perry to me

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Love to give the guy an opportunity, if he's still got some gas in the tank there's no place better for him to showcase he's still worth a decent contract somewhere in a years time

I just don't want to be the team doing the second bit of that scenario

I'd do 2 x 1.5 if it guarantees he comes.

He's not a 35+ contract so they can demote him

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Besides 2013 and last year, (and a random 67gms in 2014-15), he's been a 70 plus games a year player. I think too many people are buying this injury stuff imo. 82,82,71 going into last year. They are hard miles but I think he could be a fit, I really do. Get why people would have the reservation on term though for sure though. Dubas said something about with little cap space looking around the edges at guys who want to rebuild their legacy. That screams Corey Perry to me
Prefer one year, two years absolute max. Would love him on the team.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
For me babcock is the key......I don't trust this coach to be the guy giving him ice time....he could be ineffective and still getting big minutes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's 34, last season has to be a huge factor in your thinking, especially after a major knee injury (I believe)

As I've said, I'd love trying to rebuild that value again and would jump on the opportunity if he's on a 1 year deal but once we get to giving him term I get very squishy

I do think 1 year could work for both sides, it certainly helped Ennis and if we get a reputation for rehabbing guys value more of them will be willing to do these team friendly term deals perhaps?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
No thanks dont need him.
I think his skillset is a huge need for Toronto tbh. He plays hard, great in front of the net, finishes checks, great at cycle, and on and on.

The killer is his recent injury, his age, and really hard miles on his body.

1 year is really nothing, but I'd be hesitant on doing more than 2 years.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He's 34, last season has to be a huge factor in your thinking, especially after a major knee injury (I believe)

As I've said, I'd love trying to rebuild that value again and would jump on the opportunity if he's on a 1 year deal but once we get to giving him term I get very squishy

I do think 1 year could work for both sides, it certainly helped Ennis and if we get a reputation for rehabbing guys value more of them will be willing to do these team friendly term deals perhaps?
Good point with Ennis. Those hard miles and our apparently top notch medical staff/facilities have to be intriguing for a guy like Perry. Along with playing for his Olympic coach, his hometown team, and a competitive team. I can't get you to bite on the 3 year gamble...and I'm scared he'll do really well and we will regret just having 1 year....can we compromise at a 2 year Kiwi? :naughty::nod: lol

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Can you imagine burying Perry in the minors? Jesus I cringe just thinking about the media **** show

I'd be shocked if at any point in the year he played so poorly that we couldn't even have him on our 4th line.
He's not coming here for much more than 1 mil at best, because of our issues, so seems like a non-issue imo.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I get what you're saying and mostly agree, but I don't think anyone wants to sign Perry for 6.5M. Seems like the number for most is 2M and under. A 35+ 3 year contract was always going to be bad for the Leafs in the last year. Add to that a stubborn coach who overplayed him in important minutes... I think many are more concerned about Babcock than signing Perry to 2x2.

Perry would likely be paid little enough that he would barely make more than other 4th liners if he wasn't good enough for the 3rd line. But... Would Babcock play him like a 4th line player?

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I was less than impressed with Perry's play the last couple of years. He irritated me more with his play than anything which could be seen a s a good thing to some. I have a feeling if we roll the dice on him we will come to regret it fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad