Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Then I’d rather see what Ennis will re-sign for first.

But nothing but D should be the focus now.
If the 4 guys + Johnsson/Kapanen can’t hold the fort till Hyman returns..ouch. A solid D makes that much easier than a Perry no?

But again, it's not an either/or issue. Signing Perry at the type of contract it would have to be ~1m has no impact on our ability to address the defense. Somebody is going to play in the lineup, whether it's Perry or another player. That's barely north of league minimum

Reactions: kb and justafan22

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
But again, it's not an either/or issue. Signing Perry at the type of contract it would have to be ~1m has no impact on our ability to address the defense. Somebody is going to play in the lineup, whether it's Perry or another player. That's barely north of league minimum

I'd rather have a perry/petan/ennis whoever rather than Engvall/Korshkov being rushed

Reactions: Sypher04

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think the Leafs get him. Dubas is going to give Babs one guy he wants. As long as Perry wants to come here, I definitely can see him signing a 2x2 contract. Him and Kadri would be fun together. And if Kadri is traded, all the more reason you need a guy like Perry

Reactions: yubbers

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think the Leafs get him. Dubas is going to give Babs one guy he wants. As long as Perry wants to come here, I definitely can see him signing a 2x2 contract. Him and Kadri would be fun together. And if Kadri is traded, all the more reason you need a guy like Perry

I think 2x2 is too much. As crazy as that sounds. I think if Perry is coming here, he has to understand, he's getting shafted on pay for a chance to play in our forward group. 1m per is what we need him to agree to. If that's only for a single season, as I'd expect it would be, that's fine.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Totally agree. I'm saying without moving out Kadri (or Nylander), it won't be possible to have any D upgrades. It was in relation to saying if we keep everyone up front, we won't be having much in the way of D
I think a guy that people aren't paying enough attention to on the FA market is Anton Stralman. He could play second pairing minutes for us as long as he's fully recovered from the injuries that hampered him last season. Should come cheap too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t know what Perry will sign for but are people already worrying about depth?

I’d rather keep Brown to start the season until Hyman is better, move Kadri/Zaitsev for 9 million and get a 3C + defense upgrades for the 9.

Hyman is on injured and shouldn’t count on the cap. We can move Brown later if necessary.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think a guy that people aren't paying enough attention to on the FA market is Anton Stralman. He could play second pairing minutes for us as long as he's fully recovered from the injuries that hampered him last season. Should come cheap too.
If you're right, I'm all for it. But I feel like he's going to get paid low 4's. Just seems to be a huge premium on right shot D that can play in the top 4. With how our roster is currently shaping up, Stralman would be partnered with Rielly by default lol

Reactions: smitty10

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think 2x2 is too much. As crazy as that sounds. I think if Perry is coming here, he has to understand, he's getting shafted on pay for a chance to play in our forward group. 1m per is what we need him to agree to. If that's only for a single season, as I'd expect it would be, that's fine.
I agree. I tend to try and go to the high side of realistic around here to avoid getting jumped on lol

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If he’ll sign for $1 mil (1-2 years), I’d do that in a second. If he wants $2+ mil, I’d rather keep Brown.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t know what Perry will sign for but are people already worrying about depth?

I’d rather keep Brown to start the season until Hyman is better, move Kadri/Zaitsev for 9 million and get a 3C + defense upgrades for the 9.

Hyman is on injured and shouldn’t count on the cap. We can move Brown later if necessary.

I'm not sure I'd call it worrying, so much as looking for ways to improve.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
A "more skilled" Trevor Moore??
He can't even skate half as good as Moore nowadays.

The guy's done people, jesus lmfao. These types of players decline RAPIDLY.
Not sure how he's "done" when he's a 50 point player on friggen Aniheim.
Sure maybe he's slower than he was, but no doubt a great option for a couple years on the 2nd or 3rd line.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Perry is only 34, not 40 like Marleau, and is just 1 year removed from 49 points in 71 games. He had an injury riddled year last year. No one is suggesting paying him big money, or giving him term. Is there a danger that Babcock will overplay him, yeah, I suppose, but I also can't really say. I think Babcock understands he's on the hot seat this year, so his patience for underperformance may not be what we are used to seeing. Perry brings an element we lack, can MAYBE be had for something like a 1x1 deal (if he wants to be here), and would really bolster our depth offense.

Marleau was much older and Perry went through some injuries. I see it as low risk, high reward. By all means if Dubas can find better options go for it but if he does not, Perry is a viable option IMO.

I only agree that it would be low risk/high reward IF Babcock is willing to remove him from the lineup if he's not producing. Corey Perry brings a massive resume with him and it wouldn't be easy for Babcock or Dubas to put him in the pressbox or waive him or whatever needs to be done if he's hurting the team more than helping (which applies even if there's a better winger being held back because of him). I'm not convinced this will happen, given what I saw with Marleau last year - in fact with Dubas' trade to Carolina, it essentially confirms that Marleau should never have even been dressing in last year's POs let alone logging 15 min a game vs. Boston. I get that Babcock's seat seems to be hotter this year, but I tend to put my trust in action vs. words. I'm not about to bank that Babs will be much less stubborn next year as I could also see him dying with his principles, ie. sticking with his guys even if it means possibly failing and getting fired end of year.

Reactions: ToneDog

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
A "more skilled" Trevor Moore??
He can't even skate half as good as Moore nowadays.

The guy's done people, jesus lmfao. These types of players decline RAPIDLY.
He is done being an allstar but still can be useful...remember most people are saying league min or up to 1.5.

Reactions: Makaveli

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not sure how he's "done" when he's a 50 point player on friggen Aniheim.
Sure maybe he's slower than he was, but no doubt a great option for a couple years on the 2nd or 3rd line.

As long as you don't overpay, these older veterans can fill pretty solid depth roles. Todd Bertuzzi played his mid/late 30s in Detroit for example and was a similar style player to Perry, and while he was a shadow of his former self, he was still a solid top 9 forward.

Marleau is another obvious example, though in that case we overpaid. But still, his first year here he was a solid contributor in a supporting role.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd take him on a Tyler Ennis contract, but the way that some guys are getting super overpaid these days would lead me to believe there will be a glut of good players with nowhere to go and willing to play cheap in the coming seasons.
He is technically eligible for a one year incentive laden contract.

Since he has played more than 400 games, and spent more than 100 days on IR in the last year of his contract, he can be offered a one year contract with performance bonuses that would not apply until next year.

That might be the way to get him here.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I initially loved the idea of buying low on a former superstar with a lot to prove. He maybe a candidate to bounce back in a similar manner to which Eric Staal did for Minnesota. Then I remembered the amount of rage I felt seeing Marleau used as an extra attacker with a minute left on the clock while Nylander kept the bench warm. I’m not sure I want to give Babcock that type of ammunition again.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Somebody is going to sign him for a unreasonably high contract with term. He’s had some bad years but a team with cap space will give it chance. They can just buy him out again if it doesn’t succeed. He also seems primed and ready for LTIR with no questions asked if needed.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t think some of you have watched Perry play lately. We are getting 2019 Perry not in his prime Perry.

This has Marleau written all over it again. I doubt Perry is looking at a league minimum deal either because someone will pay 3 mill easily for a reclamation project.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I don’t think some of you have watched Perry play lately. We are getting 2019 Perry not in his prime Perry.

This has Marleau written all over it again. I doubt Perry is looking at a league minimum deal either because someone will pay 3 mill easily for a reclamation project.
It’s not marleau like because he can still be bought out at his age at a reduced cap hit.. Although he isn’t nearly prime he still would bag you some points.

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If he’ll sign for $1 mil (1-2 years), I’d do that in a second. If he wants $2+ mil, I’d rather keep Brown.
why? Brown literally adds nothing to the team. Actually...he's a good PK guy. That's about it. for 2 mil i'd rather Perry than Brown.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC

A multi-year contract for Perry would look much different to Marleau's. He is under 35 and can be bought. He also has a history of injuries so an equipment allergy wouldn't be necessary to get him on LTIR.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Last year's Perry never really got healthy, so I wouldn't necessarily use that as my measuring stick. Or are you talking about his decline in the years prior?

I understand the Marleau comparison for sure. But let's keep in mind that Marleau is 39 and his ceiling was all-star. Perry is 34 and his ceiling was Hart. I think that's quite a world of difference.

If we can trade Brown and give Perry 1 year @2 mil, I think that's a perfect gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad