Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
As long as a Perry contract isn't considered +35, I can't see why someone in his position would ever want to sign a 1 year deal. Teams would be much more willing to hand him a multi year deal before he hits 35.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good point with Ennis. Those hard miles and our apparently top notch medical staff/facilities have to be intriguing for a guy like Perry. Along with playing for his Olympic coach, his hometown team, and a competitive team. I can't get you to bite on the 3 year gamble...and I'm scared he'll do really well and we will regret just having 1 year....can we compromise at a 2 year Kiwi? :naughty::nod: lol

The AAV would have to be low, lower than he's willing to do I'd bet

That's why I think a 1 year dirt cheap deal could work for both sides, we get a year of value and he rehabs his value for free agency next season

I'd be shocked if at any point in the year he played so poorly that we couldn't even have him on our 4th line.
He's not coming here for much more than 1 mil at best, because of our issues, so seems like a non-issue imo.

More than likely, I'm not sure on the 4th line thing though
That major knee injury at his age with his play style is a gigantic red flag

I get what you're saying and mostly agree, but I don't think anyone wants to sign Perry for 6.5M. Seems like the number for most is 2M and under. A 35+ 3 year contract was always going to be bad for the Leafs in the last year. Add to that a stubborn coach who overplayed him in important minutes... I think many are more concerned about Babcock than signing Perry to 2x2.

Perry would likely be paid little enough that he would barely make more than other 4th liners if he wasn't good enough for the 3rd line. But... Would Babcock play him like a 4th line player?

Our 4th line needs to be cheep, if were trading Brown for cap reasons i don't see how we do Perry at the same contract, may as well keep Brown who's one of our best defensive forwards and PK guys

Reactions: Brown Dog

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The AAV would have to be low, lower than he's willing to do I'd bet

That's why I think a 1 year dirt cheap deal could work for both sides, we get a year of value and he rehabs his value for free agency next season

More than likely, I'm not sure on the 4th line thing though
That major knee injury at his age with his play style is a gigantic red flag

Our 4th line needs to be cheep, if were trading Brown for cap reasons i don't see how we do Perry at the same contract, may as well keep Brown who's one of our best defensive forwards and PK guys

Id only understand it if they expected him to play on the 3rd line but be paid like he's on the 4th.

In the end I don't see them signing him though. He will probably get a 2-3 year contract somewhere for a little more.

Reactions: Kiwi

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
LOL but for real he'd play the 2nd PP in front of the net in JT's spot.
Would love to see Perry posted in front and being an absolute prick in the corners. He'd drive Marchand nuts. I just worry about the Babs' effect ala Marleau

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Id only understand it if they expected him to play on the 3rd line but be paid like he's on the 4th.

In the end I don't see them signing him though. He will probably get a 2-3 year contract somewhere for a little more.

Somebody is going to give him something risky, you look like a genius if he's the same player he was a year or two ago

If he's not your going to regret the **** out of it

Reactions: Jmo89

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Just watched the Dubas presser. He commented on low budget shopping, players wanting to re-establish their legacy, mentioned Tyler Ennis as an example, said for a forward there is lots of good players up front to play with....he did everything except say the words Corey Perry.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Corey Perry and Ryan Hartman add some of that toughness. Just that mentality of, dont take liberties on Mathews or anyone else. Theres not a player in the line up other than maybe Hyman that pushes back. And if they can be had for cheap. Perry 1 yr. Hartman would live at league min but give term. That way if hes a headcase no problem waiving him and dumping the contract in the minors

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There might end up being a market for Perry. A bad team might give him minutes and hope to trade him to a contender for futures at the deadline.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
There might end up being a market for Perry. A bad team might give him minutes and hope to trade him to a contender for futures at the deadline.
Perry at his age I HIGHLY doubt has any desire whatsoever to play on a garbage team at this stage of his career. Even if it means a little extra $. The guy doesn't need the money. He's going to go where he feels the team is competitive and he will be a fit. Toronto is definitely in that conversation.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Perry at his age I HIGHLY doubt has any desire whatsoever to play on a garbage team at this stage of his career. Even if it means a little extra $. The guy doesn't need the money. He's going to go where he feels the team is competitive and he will be a fit. Toronto is definitely in that conversation.

I largely agree.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
perry will go to a place where 1 he wants to play 2. he thinks he has a chance to compete for the cup. he just got a 16 million dollar blank check from the ducks so I don't think money will be the biggest thing on his mind

I think he will take a short n sweet deal 1-2 years and a minimal cost. I think after the great progress we had revitalizing ennis's I cant see many guys scoffing at the idea of sports science/training department the leafs have at the teams disposal if anything ennis will promote that with his resurgence

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca
5. Hearing Montreal and Pittsburgh are on Corey Perry’s radar, with Dallas and possibly Nashville among contenders, too. I’m wondering if the Canadiens are pursuing Anders Lee, but that’s more speculation than confirmation. The Canadiens were positively elated at getting Cole Caufield, and you could tell they were stunned to have a choice between him and Peyton Krebs.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Perry signs with Dallas. I guess Dubas couldn't afford to offer him an incentive laden contract.

Only $1.5M seems like a steal but I'd imagine it could be much more if he does well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Perry signs with Dallas. I guess Dubas couldn't afford to offer him an incentive laden contract.

Only $1.5M seems like a steal but I'd imagine it could be much more if he does well.

Total steal, oh well. Swing and a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad