Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry Signs 1 yr 4 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If this was anything criminal related, the Hawks would just walk away. The Hawks owe Perry nothing except a small 1 year deal. They're not stupid especially after the Beach fiasco. There's no way in hell the Hawks would expose themselves to that sort of scrutiny AGAIN. It's obvious it's something very private for Perry. It might be something between Perry and the organization that public does NOT have the right to know. If it's a legal issue, then the Hawks wouldn't be issuing the public statements about Perry ... it would handed over the law enforcement and they would be doing the talking to the public. Or at the worst, you'd hear from the alleged victim's lawyer.

Just use common sense. The Hawks owe Perry nothing except a small 1 year guaranteed contract and common respect/courtesy for an employee as long as it's not criminal. I'm sure the Hawks are using proper protocol and in communications with the NHL if necessary.

Don't listen to the conspiracy idiots on the internet.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Respectfully, there are far less conspicuous ways to help a guy in a tough spot. Emphasizing that it's an organizational decision and refusing to elaborate does not suggest an amicable arrangement to me.
Why do you feel entitled to know the specifics though? Perry being out of the lineup obviously isn’t ideal for anyone, there must be a serious reason keeping him out. It’s reasonable to see why they’d want to keep this secret. It’s clearly nothing criminal, as we’d of course hear about it in the news. It’s something very personal to Perry and they’re asking for privacy.

I don’t get the urgency to know what it is or being perturbed by the org’s lack of detail released.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Why do you feel entitled to know the specifics though? Perry being out of the lineup obviously isn’t ideal for anyone, there must be a serious reason keeping him out. It’s reasonable to see why they’d want to keep this secret. It’s clearly nothing criminal, as we’d of course hear about it in the news. It’s something very personal to Perry and they’re asking for privacy.

I don’t get the urgency to know what it is or being perturbed by the org’s lack of detail released.
I don't, all I have said is there is probably a good reason they haven't said anything.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
who knows what it is, that said whatever it is the Hawks coaching and management staff want no part of it leaking into the dressing room and or into the minds of players.

I do believe we have seen the last of Perry in a Hawks uniform though

Reactions: Pez68

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
?

I clearly said that I hope him and his family are healthy.

lol @ saying that I don't like him being a bridge too far - some of you people need to loosen that grip on the keyboard.
Disliking Perry for his on ice escapades is entirely understandable and a large part of what makes sports tribalism fun. I probably overreacted to a throw away barb. Mea culpa.

Reactions: Dead Meat

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a conflicting story between the Hawks and his agent, so of course people will speculate.

One is saying it's an organizational decision. The other is saying it's a personal matter.

That tells me it's probably not something normal.

Edit: Regardless of what's going on, Corey Perry probably never plays for the Hawks again.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
And guys just ‘leaving’ the team is not a common occurrence in sports. I can’t think of a Bears player. Tank Johnson stuff was pretty public. Alonzo Spellman? Or like not one but two Bears coaches so far this season. It very very odd and people will speculate. Just like they do about injuries.

But agreed, I don’t think he plays another game for the Hawks. Think about that - they sign a guy as a veteran presence who is like 100 years old and has played for 78 teams. He plays roughly 20 games and is suddenly gone with conflicting reports. That’s pretty damn strange.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
And guys just ‘leaving’ the team is not a common occurrence in sports. I can’t think of a Bears player. Tank Johnson stuff was pretty public. Alonzo Spellman? Or like not one but two Bears coaches so far this season. It very very odd and people will speculate. Just like they do about injuries.

But agreed, I don’t think he plays another game for the Hawks. Think about that - they sign a guy as a veteran presence who is like 100 years old and has played for 78 teams. He plays roughly 20 games and is suddenly gone with conflicting reports. That’s pretty damn strange.
It could be something extremely minor in comparison to what people are speculating. The Blackhawks are not only rebuilding their on ice performance, but their off ice performance as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear the full details for 5-10 years from now, on a podcast where Perry is the guest. It doesn't seem criminal, as those details are found fairly quick, unless it's another Beach situation, which I highly doubt considering the organization is likely trying to restore their image.

I normally tend to take the pessimistic view in life, however, with age, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I hope for Chicago's and Perry's sake, it's just a difference of opinion and they're parting ways. Time will tell.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It could be something extremely minor in comparison to what people are speculating. The Blackhawks are not only rebuilding their on ice performance, but their off ice performance as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear the full details for 5-10 years from now, on a podcast where Perry is the guest. It doesn't seem criminal, as those details are found fairly quick, unless it's another Beach situation, which I highly doubt considering the organization is likely trying to restore their image.

I normally tend to take the pessimistic view in life, however, with age, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I hope for Chicago's and Perry's sake, it's just a difference of opinion and they're parting ways. Time will tell.
That's where I'm at with it. Perry could be sick. His wife could be sick. One of his kids could be sick.

Perry could be a monster. Or he might not be. Hopefully the organization is just running interference.

Until we know more I'm not judging Perry, LuRich or Davidson.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I highly doubt it's something criminal. If so, the Hawks would have cut Perry and handed it over to law enforcement. I'm sure they learned their lesson. Remember, the Hawks and Chicago fans owe nothing to Perry except his 1 year small guaranteed contract. No team, including Anaheim, would want the headache for a 38 year old "mentor" on a 1 year deal if it was criminal. If it's a family matter, it's far more complicated ... and the Hawks as an employer can only do so much. "Leaving the team indefinitely" might be the most the Hawks can do right now legally or more likely in accordance to the CBA.

Hence, this is what we know:

1. It's a private matter for Perry according to to his agent.

2. The Hawks said it was an organizational decision. That could mean anything. Perhaps HR got involved? Perhaps it was insubordination? Perhaps it was a violation of team rules? Perhaps it's deeply private matter for Perry and the team is giving him his space? As an employer, the Hawks also have a responsibility to respect an employee's privacy as long as no laws were broken. Remember, NHL players are a small fraternity with a handful of agents. As long as no crime is alleged, it's best not to torch a player through the media.

The Hawks allowed Crow and Toews to publicly handle their off the ice/health issues on their own timeline. We respected their privacy without any leaks. The Hawks weren't covering up a thing. They followed protocol. I understand what happened more than a decade will and should never be forgotten, but the Hawks execs/coaches responsible are all gone now ... even Rocky. I'm fine with the people scrutinizing the Hawks organization. However, I'm not okay with idiots spreading far fetched conspiracy theories that rejects all common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawksfirecoach

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There is a conflicting story between the Hawks and his agent, so of course people will speculate.

One is saying it's an organizational decision. The other is saying it's a personal matter.

That tells me it's probably not something normal.

Edit: Regardless of what's going on, Corey Perry probably never plays for the Hawks again.
It can be a personal decision that lines up with an organizational decision. Nobody has to be lying.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
You know, it being a team decision could also just being the team telling Perry, "No, don't try to play while ____ is going on. Take some time off and come back when you're ready."
If that's what it is, they are doing a dreadful job of framing it. It would be much easier and less embarrassing to frame it as a personal decision on Perry's part that the organization is supporting- that has happened in the NHL in the past and people are usually fine leaving it at that, but neither Richardson nor Davidson gave any indication that the decision to take time away from the team originated from Perry. I think Davidson even made a point during his press conference to specify that it was the team's call. All that said it's useless (and reckless) to speculate on what the nature of the issue is. Just hope everyone is ok.

Reactions: Blackhawksfirecoach

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Of course, but they get bombarded with questions away from the ice is my point. Some needless PR distractions with because of the weird handling.
They would be asked questions even if it was a known thing.

They'd still be bombarded with, how do you think this came about or how does the team respond after this... how do you think they aren't asked these questions either way?

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino