Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry Signs 1 yr 4 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Just got off the phone with Kyle from Chicago - he says the overpayments will cover all of the fines that the safety department dishes out when somebody messes with the kid...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Surely someone will soon gif this moment View attachment 724230
giphy.gif

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Agree that they're likely to be alright.

With that said - you don't "waste" an advantage because you can. As desperate as some teams seem to be to move contracts - I'd rather have saved the space to potentially facilitate a big deal later. Like another poster mentioned - not sure that Perry has value even at 50% retention at the deadline if you want to make that deal.
What kind of deal can you make with $24 million in cap space that you can't make with $20 million in cap space?

(Hint: none, because they would be below the cap floor)

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
The danger is all these drastically over value vet signings is we won't have enough retention spots to TDL flip them. We only have 2 left and all of Foligno, Perry, and Tyler Johnson will need retention to get moved to a cup contender (as most will be capped out especially when you consider they will have likely made bigger TDL moves than any of these Hawks which will be the 2nd or 3rd TDL add). Given the ages, I guess we are playing the odds all 3 won't be healthy at the TDL or we keep one to "lead" the entire season.
We also has to stay above cap floor after TDL, so all of them aren't traded away.

Reactions: LordKOTL

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Meh,
8+ million on intangibles and grindy gritty fairy tales. The pass down mentorship stuff is a bit overrated, especially on mercenary wages. It's going to take a 3rd party to move either one of those two, bit of a 4th line luxury for anyone. Glad KD gave them bonus $$ might put a couple small market playoff types in play for a pickup at the TDL. Guess the plan is to keep Murphy and Johnson around with only 2 retention spots.

Doesn't hurt anything and shouldn't hurt the tank if he's getting 15 min a night. Maybe Perry helps in selected shifts and the PP but can he even keep up with the kids anymore? Hasn't looked good skating in a while. He can definitely teach the kids how to properly fillet an opponent.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
So why Perry and not Toews or Kane? I would take Kane with half a hip over Perry any day mate

Reactions: Malaka

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It would still be very much Kane or Toews team. Davidson said he wanted veteran leadership that wouldn't stunt any of the kids growth as leaders.
Why would they stunt growth that’s a very strange thing to claim, did Kane stunt the growth of Panarin when he came in?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It would still be very much Kane or Toews team. Davidson said he wanted veteran leadership that wouldn't stunt any of the kids growth as leaders.
It's not only about the kids' growth. Kane and Toews saw Kyle go from lowly assistant to GM. How much respect could they give to Kyle? It's human nature to still see Kyle as the young intern.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why would they stunt growth that’s a very strange thing to claim, did Kane stunt the growth of Panarin when he came in?
When the poop hits the fan, who are the players and media going to run to if Kane and Toews are still with the team? Old habits die hard.

Without Kane and Toews, the media will turn to Bedard. In the locker room, Bedard will be able to share the load witn Murphy, Jones, Foligno, Hall, and Perry. More importantly, the vets will be fine on their own ... thus lessening the burden on Bedard while also getting experience to lead.

Jones might be here for a while. Murphy, Hall, Perry, Foligno won't be. That's another reason it will push Bedard to take tne leadership role.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
So why Perry and not Toews or Kane? I would take Kane with half a hip over Perry any day mate
This has been explained multiple times by Kyle from Chicago, others in the organization, the media, and in these boards. Stop it already.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What kind of deal can you make with $24 million in cap space that you can't make with $20 million in cap space?

(Hint: none, because they would be below the cap floor)
I don't think that Perry has value at the deadline even at 50% retained.

I could have seen overpaying Domi on a 1 year deal, and would much rather have done that than signing Perry. Like you said - in either case - it's not a big deal (which is what I said in my OP).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Do Toews and Kane want to play on a rebuilding team? Don't remember them saying they would.
Is Toews even going to play again? No one knows. Is Kane even going to play in 2023? Probably not.

Reactions: LordKOTL

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I watch the PC to officially announced Corey Perry as a Blackhawk and one thought cross my mind: why is Corey Perry cosplaying as Dexter Lumis.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Just watched the press conference, my hope is he does in fact end up one of those guys you hate on the other team but like (I can’t say love with this guy) him and what he brings when he is on yours. I did like when they asked him about passing Hossa in the hallway and their past, it’s nice to hear Hoss is around. Talk about an incredible mentor for Bedard and other young guys, I hope Hossa takes on an active role with the team. They keep many of the former players in the organization, I hope they have room for some of the legendary Hawks of this recent era in the future. Guys like Soupy and Burish don’t qualify.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Just watched the press conference, my hope is he does in fact end up one of those guys you hate on the other team but like (I can’t say love with this guy) him and what he brings when he is on yours. I did like when they asked him about passing Hossa in the hallway and their past, it’s nice to hear Hoss is around. Talk about an incredible mentor for Bedard and other young guys, I hope Hossa takes on an active role with the team. They keep many of the former players in the organization, I hope they have room for some of the legendary Hawks of this recent era in the future. Guys like Soupy and Burish don’t qualify.
How could you discount Colin Frasier as not a legend

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Hope Hossa can teach the young forwards the defensive skills.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

I hope Perry teaches a youngster this form of art in the future. I can see a guy Like Colton Dach for example excelling in that role if he has the hand/eye coordination for it.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I wonder where this is coming from. Did Toews and Kane’s present stunt the leadership of any of our prospects? From what I remember Kane and his work ethic were such a positive influence on Debrincat and Strome

Reactions: Muffinalt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad