Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry Signs 1 yr 4 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I appreciate the sentiment but I can’t mention Corey Perry and Toews in the same sentence when it comes to leadership. Perry is a veteran yes, not sure I want him giving any advice to Bedard on how to conduct himself. Foligno, yes. Perry, he can go **** off.
Luke Richardson obviously feels differently, and specifically talked about how great Perry was with the young guys in Montreal. As I said previously, I hated Perry when he was in his prime in Anaheim. But the fact that he is still going at this age, and by all accounts has been a great teammate and leader in his most recent stops, has me liking him more and more.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Luke Richardson obviously feels differently, and specifically talked about how great Perry was with the young guys in Montreal. As I said previously, I hated Perry when he was in his prime in Anaheim. But the fact that he is still going at this age, and by all accounts has been a great teammate and leader in his most recent stops, has me liking him more and more.
I don’t think he will be a problem at all, he seems to be well liked by his teammates. Short term thing, if not traded at mid season he won’t be extended.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Perry does his talking on the ice. It's amazing that he is still around as he has spent his entire career living near the ops crease.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Corey Perry is a very good move for the hawks. Obviously his impact here won’t be long as far as on ice contributions. Same as Foligno. They are here to help set a tone professionally that hopefully will last long past their time here.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Corey Perry is a very good move for the hawks. Obviously his impact here won’t be long as far as on ice contributions. Same as Foligno. They are here to help set a tone professionally that hopefully will last long past their time here.

Corey Perry is going to join Paul Coffey and Brad Richards in the "Oh yeah, I forgot they were Blackhawks" club.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He's reportedly a great guy off the ice and as good a teammate you can ask for. Plays his role well.

Literally taking punches for his team. And then you have Foligno stepping up for his captain. Two great teammates to have.

That Injury was a total fluke but that's the nhl for ya

Reactions: BLKHKhockey

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I appreciate the sentiment but I can’t mention Corey Perry and Toews in the same sentence when it comes to leadership. Perry is a veteran yes, not sure I want him giving any advice to Bedard on how to conduct himself. Foligno, yes. Perry, he can go **** off.
I think it's also for Kyle's authority within organization. Didn't Kyle move up from a video guy to assistant TO Bowman to Assistant GM? I'm not saying Kyle wasn't deserving ... but perhaps Kane and Toews were never going to give Kyle that respect in the locker room.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
10467947-416C-4F3D-9365-3F2F7C0311FA.jpeg

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I think it's also for Kyle's authority within organization. Didn't Kyle move up from a video guy to assistant TO Bowman to Assistant GM? I'm not saying Kyle wasn't deserving ... but perhaps Kane and Toews were never going to give Kyle that respect in the locker room.

#KyleFromChicago sold a complete overhaul and reboot of the franchise to ownership. Changing the page on the past and leaving all that bad pr behind them. Kyle cut the cord.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Not mad that the Hawks brought in Perry, which was a good add. Just don't like "wasting" the very valuable cap space for a guy who needed a 4x increase in last year salary to go to a non-contender. (And I get that the leadership is valuable - just would rather have the flexibility than adding a guy like CP at this point.)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's 4x his salary last year. I think he would've probably taken a lot less than that. Like maybe $1.5 million.

Wow, didn't realize they did the same with Foligno. I kinda get it, but that's some pretty pricey "veteran leadership" and those are unmovable at the deadline even with 50% retention.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Not mad that the Hawks brought in Perry, which was a good add. Just don't like "wasting" the very valuable cap space for a guy who needed a 4x increase in last year salary to go to a non-contender. (And I get that the leadership is valuable - just would rather have the flexibility than adding a guy like CP at this point.)
They still have around $20 million in flexibility, I think they will be good.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
That's 4x his salary last year. I think he would've probably taken a lot less than that. Like maybe $1.5 million.

Wow, didn't realize they did the same with Foligno. I kinda get it, but that's some pretty pricey "veteran leadership" and those are unmovable at the deadline even with 50% retention.
My thoughts initially, too. But I don't think they brought them here to flip for anything valuable.

Over-payment to get them to really buy into their roles, IMO.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
They still have around $20 million in flexibility, I think they will be good.
Agree that they're likely to be alright.

With that said - you don't "waste" an advantage because you can. As desperate as some teams seem to be to move contracts - I'd rather have saved the space to potentially facilitate a big deal later. Like another poster mentioned - not sure that Perry has value even at 50% retention at the deadline if you want to make that deal.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

I'd insert a Kyle Davidson "hold me beer" Gif but I'm sure there isn't one.......yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad