Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Easy way out is a hell of a way to phrase it. Perry could be taking this seriously and seeking help or he could be sorry he got caught and going through the motions to get his career back. But either way it's not gonna be easy.
I’m sure he has regrets and we will never know if Its just because he got caught, but that statement was too good. I think his agent wrote that one. I do give him credit for coming out and taking responsibility.

Just glad he is gone and it was handled well.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I never said you were wrong. I CLEARLY stated the HAWKS could be in the right. However, you still don't understand how the NHLPA will operate.

SPC stands for Standard Player's Contract. It is quite simply an acronym for any valid NHL player contract. It is a standardized contract that acts as the sole form of contract for all player signings compliant with the latest NHL CBA. Again, all player signing must be compliant with the latest NHL CBA.

This is where the NHLPA will have the contention. Does the current CBA allow NHL teams to define misconduct for termination of a guaranteed contract? If so, the NHLPA are idiots. The Hawks just opened Pandora's Box. Can you imagine the ramifications to future contracts? And that is why the NHLPA will fight it just to get more clarity.

Please. Just please. Go read the CBA and MOU. You have made it painfully obvious that you don't understand the functions and purposes of them both, and that you've never even put your eyes on them.

I'm done.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
:laugh:

You couldn't be more way off on all of this. Like... it's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely zero understanding of the CBA, the MOU, and SPCs.

Read my last post. Or better yet, GO READ THE CBA AND MOU, because it's painfully obvious that you haven't ever looked at them.

And why would you define an SPC as if I don't know what it is? :laugh:

I've used both the term SPC and standard player contract numerous times throughout this shitshow with you. I mean... this is absolutely embarrassing for you at this point.
Because you don't seem to understand the SPC has to be compliant with the latest CBA. That's why I said the CBA trumps all minus legal issues in a labor dispute.

Again, I never said the Hawks were wrong in their decision. However, you don't understand the NHLPA point of view. It's in the players' best interest to fight the Hawks decision to terminate a NHL guaranteed contract for misbehavior as it opens up Pandora's Box. There's a reason Perry's termination for misbehavior was the first in recent memory.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Any time you see something that a hockey player wrote that was longer than a short tweet, it's a safe bet it was written by someone else.
Reminds me of that The Players Tribune article website. Does that even exist anymore, I don't recall talks about those articles in some years but they were always things dictated by players other people wrote.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Again, the NHLPA can file a grievance against the Hawks for violating the CBA. They don't have to file a grievance on behalf Corey Perry. Will it help to have Perry as a witness? Absolutely.

If the NHL is anything like the NBA or NFL, it will be held behind closed doors in front of an arbiter. That's the advantages of a CBA.

I don't have a problem with what the Hawks did. However, from a union standpoint, it has to be alarming that a guaranteed contract was terminated for the first time for misbehavior in recent memory. Other teams can and will use the Hawk/Perry situation to do the same ... which causes major problems for the NHLPA.
From Elliot Friedman:

“ He has 60 days to file a grievance, which, if he wins, would restore the financial compensation. The NHLPA cannot proceed unless Perry agrees”

You are wrong. Just stop.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Reminds me of that The Players Tribune article website. Does that even exist anymore, I don't recall talks about those articles in some years but they were always things dictated by players other people wrote.

If even that. More assuredly, ghostwritten by a staff writer after an interview and then signed off on by the player.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Any time you see something that a hockey player wrote that was longer than a short tweet, it's a safe bet it was written by someone else.
I will say this: Perry was in his 2nd year in the NHL, still very green. He got asked to do a radio interview about the tournament, it didn't go great. We immediately did up some cue cards with talking points for him. 😃

Still, off the ice a super guy. We had a family reach out to us. Said they would give us $500 for the charity if he would come play road hockey with his kid. He could have said no. There was no newspaper coverage not a photo op. Just a fun afternoon playing hockey with a bunch of kids. We also had a silent auction every year for "Golf with Corey Perry" always successful and he had no issues giving up time for his fans. Night before the tournament we had a meet & greet, no extra charge. He'd take pictures with the fans and brought his gold medal once.

This wasn't some high end tournament that only the rich could afford. We kept the costs down I think the highest we ever charged was $175 per person. Lunch, dinner, driving range, golf, cart, prize. And a kick ass grab bag. Money went to the Wellspring Cancer Support Centre. Tournament started as a low cost alternative to the Memorial Cup golf tournament. For the fans. Perry came in for year 2 as the Corporate Sponsor and the format never changed. We went from 36 golfers in year one and by the end we reached 212 golfers.

Sorry... I went off on a bit of a tangent there. I wanted to give the anecdote about writing for athletes, but I ended up elaborating on why he's not a bad person off the ice. Bottom line, this sort of thing can happen to anyone, athletes and zookeepers alike. It's a disease. It doesn't excuse behavior, but as a society we can be supportive with the hopes it doesn't happen again, or happens to someone closer to us. Because it easily can. So please think before judgment is passed.

Sorry for the rant.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
From Elliot Friedman:

“ He has 60 days to file a grievance, which, if he wins, would restore the financial compensation. The NHLPA cannot proceed unless Perry agrees”

You are wrong. Just stop.
I understand the Perry argument. It's peanuts compared to the ramifications. It's not about Perry getting his $3mn.

This is my bigger picture argument. What is "material breach?" The vague language of the SPC/CBA will be at issue. It's been an ongoing conflict for the NHL and NHLPA.

The Applicable Rules
The SPC and CBA, among other sources, set out rules that govern players’ off-ice conduct.

SPC: 14. “The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player [...] if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC [...]”

Here's another article:

=>The fight is not about Perry's money. It will be about setting a precedent for the NHLPA.

I get it. Without Perry's cooperation, it might be moot for the NHLPA to take it to the arbiter. However, much like the Mike Richards case ... it behooves the NHLPA to get a settlement to not set a precedent: Even Friedman (the tweeter you quoted) talks about how the settlement can't be used as a precedent. That is what's most important to the NHLPA. Let's be clear, Kings tried to terminate Richards' contract for literally breaking Canadian laws. Perry's contract was terminated for misbehavior (which I agree with) but not illegal. Of course, the NHLPA will be alarmed about the potential precedent it sets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pez68

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Someone posted this on the main board.

According to the After the Whistle podcast hosted by Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet, Perry grabbed the booty of an employee at a corporate event at the end of the evening while intoxicated.

Because it was at a corporate event, the no tolerance policy with the Blackhawks (it was not reported by the employee but by someone else), is what caused this issue.

They went on to say that Perry is likely going to sign with Edmonton for a league minimum 750k, as he already received a 2 million signing bonus with the Blackhawks.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

According to the After the Whistle podcast hosted by Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet, Perry grabbed the booty of an employee at a corporate event at the end of the evening while intoxicated.

Because it was at a corporate event, the no tolerance policy with the Blackhawks (it was not reported by the employee but by someone else), is what caused this issue.

They went on to say that Perry is likely going to sign with Edmonton for a league minimum 750k, as he already received a 2 million signing bonus with the Blackhawks.

"i DiDn'T kNoW bEdArD's MoM wAs An EmPlOyEe :dunce:"

"ThIs Is MoRe PrOoF tHaT hE bAnGeD cOnNoR's MoM... LeT's HaRrAsS hEr UnTiL sHe HaS tO dElEtE aLl HeR sOcIaL mEdIa :scared:"​
Doesn't matter to those dolts that more and more evidence comes up against that bogus and childish f***ing claim.​

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles

"i DiDn'T kNoW bEdArD's MoM wAs An EmPlOyEe :dunce:"

"ThIs Is MoRe PrOoF tHaT hE bAnGeD cOnNoR's MoM... LeT's HaRrAsS hEr UnTiL sHe HaS tO dElEtE aLl HeR sOcIaL mEdIa :scared:"​
Doesn't matter to those dolts that more and more evidence comes up against that bogus and childish f***ing claim.​
Gotta wonder if and when some of these accounts posting this stuff get hit with some libel/slander lawsuits.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

I am a bit surprised someone would sign him so quick if this is true, especially after the statement Perry put out about his drinking nd mental health. Will see what happens, someone else’s headache now

Reactions: Pez68

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Birthday update.
image0.jpeg

Think we’ll ever get the full story here? Thought we would’ve by now.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad