Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
this has very Danny is pissed at Davidson for bringing this guy in and having more bad light shed on his org after they just tried to hit the reset button vibes

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Guessing KD will disclose nothing, but I'll pay attention just in case.

Next time save a few hundred K on dumpster contracts and hire a PR team already. A whole week to let rumors stir. Well played!

Bad signing, at least it's over now...hopefully
They had to do an investigation before they could say or do anything else. How hard is that to understand?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
this has very Danny is pissed at Davidson for bringing this guy in and having more bad light shed on his org after they just tried to hit the reset button vibes
How is it Davidson’s fault? Perry literally has no history of anything of this sort happening. It’s like if you had a best friend who you’ve told a ton of people that he’s this great person your whole life. Then one day, he does something gross, does that mean you’re a bad person too? Get real.

Kyle is on the verge of tears, he’s clearly shaken by this.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
He did say that the NHLPA player assistance program people are “aware.” Not sure if this just means the PA itself is aware or if this is a mental health/addiction matter that the team specifically reached out to the player assistance guys proactively.

The way Davidson is handling this makes it sound like it was legitimately disturbing and was mainly involving Perry himself rather than other people.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Video player on the NBC website doesn't work for me, anyone know if it'll be uploaded to Youtube afterwards or something?

As a London Knights fan who's followed Perry a lot and talked with him a few times when he's been in London I'm having a hard time understanding what he could have possibly done that isn't criminal, happened in the work place, and deserves a contract termination. Would really like to know more about the situation.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
How is it Davidson’s fault? Perry literally has no history of anything of this sort happening. It’s like if you had a best friend who you’ve told a ton of people that he’s this great person your whole life. Then one day, he does something gross, does that mean you’re a bad person too? Get real.

Kyle is on the verge of tears, he’s clearly shaken by this.
didn't say Davidson is a bad person, basically said he's the gate keeper to what type of people end up in the organization and Danny has given him full autonomy on all decisions from what we can tell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Video player on the NBC website doesn't work for me, anyone know if it'll be uploaded to Youtube afterwards or something?

As a London Knights fan who's followed Perry a lot and talked with him a few times when he's been in London I'm having a hard time understanding what he could have possibly done that isn't criminal, happened in the work place, and deserves a contract termination. Would really like to know more about the situation.
davidson said police were not notified so its not criminal

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
davidson said police were not notified so its not criminal
I know that, it just makes it make even less sense. If it was a drug issue it would be criminal or NHLPA would be involved. Would be no reason for the team to not say something. Same with any number of other things. Don't especially want to pry too much but I just don't get what he could have possibly done that isn't criminal, is a workplace matter, and requires such secrecy. Like what even is there that's a workplace matter but not criminal? Leaving your computer unlocked while you go to the bathroom? Almost anything I can think of could very easily be criminal if someone wanted to pursue it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I know that, it just makes it make even less sense. If it was a drug issue it would be criminal or NHLPA would be involved. Would be no reason for the team to not say something. Same with any number of other things. Don't especially want to pry too much but I just don't get what he could have possibly done that isn't criminal, is a workplace matter, and requires such secrecy. Like what even is there that's a workplace matter but not criminal? Leaving your computer unlocked while you go to the bathroom? Almost anything I can think of could very easily be criminal if someone wanted to pursue it.
technically legal but grounds for termination make the possibilities more limited as far as workplace termination goes

Notes from the presser

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
- it did NOT involve any family members of any players on the team
- the players do NOT know what happened
- it is being called an 'internal matter' and is not being reported to law enforcement
- Players Association are aware of the incident
- "not able to disclose any details" due to it being an "individual personal matter"

If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
does Danny care, it was supposed to be a fresh page

On the other hand, the fact they've handled this and promptly dismissed him could be seen as a clear signal of change from the organization. Just because something bad happens in an organization, doesn't mean it has to make the organization look bad. Sometimes people just do bad things, and it has to be addressed.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
On the other hand, the fact they've handled this and promptly dismissed him could be seen as a clear signal of change from the organization. Just because something bad happens in an organization, doesn't mean it has to make the organization look bad. Sometimes people just do bad things, and it has to be addressed.
This is what I keep telling my buddies razzing me about the blackhawks. If whatever "this" is came out at the end of the season and was being covered up, that would be one thing. They've done everything right so far imo.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
they're paying 4x market rate for a player that presumably danny asked why and Davidson said leadership etc, so there has to be that dynamic there, brand takes a hit yet again and it's Davidson who is ultimately responsible for vetting these players...he's done a good job as GM, just saying that there could be that dynamic there with Danny being furious behind the scenes and you consider how emotional he was, some shame, anger, etc beyond just what happened with Perry and explaining that

Reactions: hockeydoug

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
- it did NOT involve any family members of any players on the team
- the players do NOT know what happened
- it is being called an 'internal matter' and is not being reported to law enforcement
- Players Association are aware of the incident
- "not able to disclose any details" due to it being an "individual personal matter"

If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add it.

Might be drawing too fine a line but is it possible that saying it doesn't involve any family members of any PLAYERS side-steps that maybe this includes family members of management or someone else?

Just so weird, not criminal, but fireable, players not involved, it narrows things down to something that we just fail to imagine or it's squeaking into a crack of something that got word-smithed around.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It appears to be an HR matter. Davidson addressed the disgusting rumors and said it was a workplace issue.

The process is what's most important. The Hawks organization appears to have learned their lesson. It appears they did what was needed to be done. Now, it's up to Perry to disclose his "private matter." IF it's criminal, I'm sure law enforcement is involved.

When organizations do the right thing and hold employees accountable, that's a good thing ... not a bad thing. It appears that's what was done in this case.

Reactions: Giovi

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was told it was bad. I was told people working in the organization had to sign NDAs about it. I really don't need any more information, because I've always hated Corey Perry. Eventually we might hear what happened, but the few people I have talked to that work with the Hawks all said the same thing. "It's not good at all. That's all I can say."

Davidson's comments about the players not knowing is absolutely a smokescreen, meant to prevent them being hounded with questions about it. 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad