Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
Feel like alcohol and mental health is the new easy way out.

I sympathize with people going through addiction. Just seems like the way to explain bad behavior and still receive support from the public.

Fully expect to get roasted for this take and I apologize if I offend anyone who has dealt with addiction.
As you should. You clearly have no idea what it's like.

Nobody is filing any charges, he didn't do anything illegal, so whatever "label" he's avoiding is 1000 times easier than having to battle through addiction. For most people alcohol is this "fun" thing that people have at parties but it destroys lives and kills thousands.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I do too. And it's not wrong. But calling it the easy way out is gonna read really shitty to some people.

No doubt. Which is why I posted what I think he meant by it.

As someone who has to cut waaaaaaaaaaay back on his alcohol intake due to drastic diet changes, weight loss, and being diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, I've had some incidents lately, before I figured out just why I wasn't drinking a ton, but still seemed to be getting hammered. I've owned the shit I've done in that state, both back in the past(a decade plus ago when I had a serious drinking problem) and more recently.

I do hope Perry gets the help he needs for sure, though.

Totally understand. Comfortable enough to spill here and not get labeled a f*** by people I care about thinking I am a f***. But I couldn't find the words.

I found em for you a couple posts down from yours. ;)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They can review it all they want(that's pretty standard for a union to do), but if Perry doesn't want them to file a grievance or challenge the contract termination, they won't do it. They can't go against his wishes, like I was saying yesterday.
It's not about Corey Perry's grievance. It's about potentially violating the CBA. The CBA is far bigger than one player. That's why I was talking about precedents the other day. NHL teams have not terminated contracts for misbehavior in recent memory. In fact, they rarely do so for even an illegal acts. IF the Perry situation become the normal consequence, imagine what NHL teams will try to do in a salary capped sport. The NHLPA's priority is to protect their players in the union.

I suspect a buyout will be negotiated behind close doors if the Bruins did not claim him off waivers. However, terminating a guaranteed NHL contract for misbehavior will still be huge concern for the NHLPA. Precedents are critical in how arbiters come to future decisions. This is not just about Corey Perry's situation. It's more than that for the NHLPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeydoug

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's not about Corey Perry's grievance. It's about potentially violating the CBA. The CBA is far bigger than one player.

What would the violation of the CBA be, though? His contract was terminated based upon him being in breach of said contract in what looks like multiple specific ways. Do I think Perry likely gets some money? Probably. I just don't see why the NHLPA would file a grievance against someone's wishes, particularly when I can't think of what violation of the CBA it would be.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What would the violation of the CBA be, though? His contract was terminated based upon him being in breach of said contract in what looks like multiple specific ways. Do I think Perry likely gets some money? Probably. I just don't see why the NHLPA would file a grievance against someone's wishes, particularly when I can't think of what violation of the CBA it would be.
From what I read from that article (Daily Faceoff), the cause for termination of a guaranteed contract is vague ... hence lots of room for interpretation. The article also said this would be the first time in recent memory that a guaranteed NHL contract was terminated for MISBEHAVIOR ... not an illegal act which is also rare. While I applaud the Hawks decision to waive Perry, they implied that Perry's contract was terminated for misbehavior. This will be the major issues of contention for the NHLPA:

1. What writing was in Perry's contract with the Hawks? That will be scrutinized.
2. The CBA trumps Perry's contract. Did Perry's contract or punishment violate the CBA (Standard Player's Contract).

Termination for misbehavior (The Standard Player's Contract) will be the key sticking point. IF I'm not mistaken, the wording to vague ... especially for misbehavior which is not an illegal act. IF this becomes the norm in the NHL, teams might use this loophole for "misbehavior" to terminate a bad contract. That is my biggest concern if I was the NHLPA. The Corey Perry situation is peanuts vs. future ramifications.

Remember Roquan Smith's first holdout? He had a problem with the Bears putting in language that his contract could be terminated for ON THE FIELD misbehavior. The NFLPA got involved and took a life of its own.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
From what I read from that article (Daily Faceoff), the cause for termination of a guaranteed contract is vague ... hence lots of room for interpretation. The article also said this would be the first time in recent memory that a guaranteed NHL contract was terminated for MISBEHAVIOR ... not an illegal act which is also rare. While I applaud the Hawks decision to waive Perry, they implied that Perry's contract was terminated for misbehavior. This will be the major issues of contention for the NHLPA:

1. What writing was in Perry's contract with the Hawks? That will be scrutinized.
2. The CBA trumps Perry's contract. Did Perry's contract or punishment violate the CBA (Standard Player's Contract).

Termination for misbehavior (The Standard Player's Contract) will be the key sticking point. IF I'm not mistaken, the wording to vague ... especially for misbehavior which is not an illegal act.

Remember Roquan Smith's first holdout? He had a problem with the Bears putting in language that his contract could be terminated for ON THE FIELD misbehavior. The NFLPA got involved and took a life of its own.
It's not a problem until Perry makes it a problem.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Termination for misbehavior (The Standard Player's Contract) will be the key sticking point. IF I'm not mistaken, the wording to vague ... especially for misbehavior which is not an illegal act. IF this becomes the norm in the NHL, teams might use this loophole for "misbehavior" to terminate a bad contract. That is my biggest concern if I was the NHLPA. The Corey Perry situation is peanuts vs. future ramifications.

Not to be an ass, but this is a whole lot of words that don't really say much of anything. At least any substance. SPCs have personal conduct stuff written into them. It's pretty much 100% common knowledge that is the case. So I'm not sure why you keep trying to argue the point about misbehavior and an illegal act. An illegal act is not necessary(breaking actual law) for him to be in violation of the personal conduct statutes of his contract... that is obvious, because that's what the Hawks stated he was violating, and the basis for terminating his contract.

Reactions: Pez68

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's not a problem until Perry makes it a problem.
For the NHLPA, it won't be about Perry. It's about the CBA and its Standard Player's Contract. It's a bigger issue.

Regardless, I suspect it will be resolved behind closed doors between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Jimmy2Times

Oct 24, 2019
Personally think your on ice play has nothing to do with who you are as a person. Almost zero correlation.
Well based on my own experiences having played at the amateur level for a long time and now just doing beer league stuff a lot of the guys who act like clowns on the ice didn't exactly drop the act after the game was over. Not saying it's true for everyone especially at the Pro level where one or two stupid mistakes could cost you millions but I always look at guys like Sean Avery - Matt Cooke - Evander Kane etc. they weren't exactly model citizens off the ice either.

Reactions: Pez68

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Best of luck to Perry for dealing with his issues and huge kudos for admitting it publicly.

If us normies would be put into situations like this, most of us couldn't make this tough choice.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not to be an ass, but this is a whole lot of words that don't really say much of anything. At least any substance. SPCs have personal conduct stuff written into them. It's pretty much 100% common knowledge that is the case. So I'm not sure why you keep trying to argue the point about misbehavior and an illegal act. An illegal act is not necessary(breaking actual law) for him to be in violation of the personal conduct statutes of his contract... that is obvious, because that's what the Hawks stated he was violating, and the basis for terminating his contract.
How many times has the NHL terminated a guaranteed contract for MISBEHAVIOR? Corey Perry is not the only NHL player who's misbehaved. The CBA trumps all individual contracts.

The NHLPA will be fighting in regards to the CBA and its Standard Player Contract ... not the personal conduct statutes in Perry's contract. The CBA trumps all minus illegal acts. The NHLPA is reviewing if the Hawks violated the CBA ... not Perry's personal contract.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How many times has the NHL terminated a guaranteed contract for MISBEHAVIOR? Corey Perry is not the only NHL player who's misbehaved. The CBA trumps all individual contracts.

The NHLPA will be fighting in regards to the CBA and its Standard Player Contract ... not the personal conduct statutes in Perry's contract. The CBA trumps all minus illegal acts. The NHLPA is reviewing if the Hawks violated the CBA ... not Perry's personal contract.
Yeah, you're not understanding this situation at all. :laugh:

They're reviewing the entire thing. They're not reviewing if the Hawks broke the CBA.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NHLPA and the NHL sets out the terms and conditions of employment for all professional hockey players playing in the National Hockey League, as well as the respective rights of the NHL Clubs, the NHL, and the NHLPA.

The NHL has rights, the NHL organizations have rights, and the NHLPA(players) have rights.

The entire thing is under review, and the purpose is to verify everything is above board. The whole situation. Not just if the Hawks violated the CBA.

The PA can review it, say the Hawks were perfectly fine in terminating his contract based upon him breaching the terms of his personal conduct in his SPC, and move on. Like... I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Best of luck to Perry for dealing with his issues and huge kudos for admitting it publicly.

If us normies would be put into situations like this, most of us couldn't make this tough choice.

I don't really see it as a tough choice. He got shitfaced and f***ed up. That f*** up cost him his job, his reputation, and probably put a pretty big question mark on his relationship with his family.

What other choice did he have?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yeah, you're not understanding this situation at all. :laugh:

They're reviewing the entire thing. They're not reviewing if the Hawks broke the CBA.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NHLPA and the NHL sets out the terms and conditions of employment for all professional hockey players playing in the National Hockey League, as well as the respective rights of the NHL Clubs, the NHL, and the NHLPA.

The NHL has rights, the NHL organizations have rights, and the NHLPA(players) have rights.

The entire thing is under review, and the purpose is to verify everything is above board. The whole situation. Not just if the Hawks violated the CBA.

The PA can review it, say the Hawks were perfectly fine in terminating his contract based upon him breaching the terms of his personal conduct in his SPC, and move on. Like... I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.
The CBA is a negotiated work agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA. That's the point. The NHLPA will be working along the CBA with or without Perry. It's not just about Perry filing a grievance ... which is what I said about Perry situation from the beginning. This is bigger than about Corey Perry for the NHLPA.

My second point: how many NHL players have had their guaranteed contracts terminated for MISBEHAVIOR? You haven't answered that question. Not for breaking a law (which is also rare), but for misbehavior. If you're the NHLPA, would you not be alarmed at the precedent? Take a look how player's associations operate. They defend the termination of contracts for even criminal behavior. I suspect they'll be definitely opposed the termination of guaranteed contract for just MISBEHAVIOR. My feeling is that they'll handle it behind closed doors with the NHL ... but at worst, it will go to an arbiter.

Obviously, coming from my background, I'm not fan of unions. However, I do know how unions think and how they can use the CBA as a weapon.

• Haha

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The CBA is a negotiated work agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA. That's the point. The NHLPA will be working along the CBA with or without Perry. It's not just about Perry filing a grievance ... which is what I said about Perry situation from the beginning. This is bigger than about Corey Perry for the NHLPA.

My second point: how many NHL players have had their guaranteed contracts terminated for MISBEHAVIOR? You haven't answered that question. Not for breaking a law (which is also rare), but for misbehavior. If you're the NHLPA, would you not be alarmed at the precedent? Take a look how player's associations operate. They defend the termination of contracts for even criminal behavior. I suspect they'll be definitely opposed the termination of guaranteed contract for MISBEHIVIOR. My feeling is that they'll handle it behind closed doors with the NHL ... but at worst, it will go to an arbiter.
AND the NHL Clubs. JFC. I literally posted for you what exactly the CBA is, and yet you continue this nonsense. It is literally the outline for player employment in the NHL, and outlines the rights of the players, the NHL organizations, and the NHL, itself, as an organization.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
AND the NHL Clubs. JFC. I literally posted for you what exactly the CBA is, and yet you continue this nonsense. It is literally the outline for player employment in the NHL, and outlines the rights of the players, the NHL organizations, and the NHL, itself, as an organization.

Moving on.
You still haven't answered my question. How many guaranteed NHL contracts have been terminated for MISBEHAVIOR ... not for an illegality? And that will be the sticking point for NHLPA.

• Haha

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You still haven't answered my question. How many NHL contracts have been terminated for MISBEHAVIOR ... not for an illegality? And that will be the sticking point for NHLPA.
Things can be illegal and not be charged. Also even if the hawks “lose” this magical grievance that hasn’t been filed, they won’t care.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You still haven't answered my question. How many guaranteed NHL contracts have been terminated for MISBEHAVIOR ... not for an illegality? And that will be the sticking point for NHLPA.
I'm not answering your question, because it's not relevant to what I'm discussing. If you breach the terms of a contract, ANY TERMS OF IT, that contract can possibly be terminated. Ripped up. Whatever you want to call it. The NHLPA is reviewing ALL the information available to them to determine if everything is above board with what the Hawks did. Period.

Moving on.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

FWIW Friedman's take is the NHLPA likely can't do things without the support of Perry:

32 Thoughts: So many questions, not enough answers around Corey Perry

1701386170752.png

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
FWIW Friedman's take is the NHLPA likely can't do things without the support of Perry:

32 Thoughts: So many questions, not enough answers around Corey Perry

View attachment 775676

I tried to explain this to him yesterday and earlier today in posts. He doesn't seem to understand that. This entire discussion has been irrelevant, because the NHLPA needs Perry's cooperation to file a grievance on his behalf. And there's actual precedent to back that up.

I mean he might have a case considering the bar is pretty high for contract termination, but I doubt he wants to.

Based on his statement? Doubtful he wants to pursue anything. Not for a measly sum of money, like 1m, or maybe even less. Dude has made over 100m in his career.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not answering your question, because it's not relevant to what I'm discussing. If you breach the terms of a contract, ANY TERMS OF IT, that contract can possibly be terminated. Ripped up. Whatever you want to call it. The NHLPA is reviewing ALL the information available to them to determine if everything is above board with what the Hawks did. Period.

Moving on.
Not relevant? Certainly Corey Perry can't be the first player to ever misbehave in the NHL workplace. However, he's the first player to breach the terms of a contract for MISBEHVIOR, any terms of it, and have it terminated? You don't think that's an important or relevant precedent.

The Hawks could very well be in the right, but do you think the NHLPA will stand pat ... especially when it's never happened before ... or at least in recent memory? Imagine what floodgates might open to terminate bad contracts. That makes it relevant.

Again, I don't know the exact language in the CBA. However, the Daily Faceoff (if they are to be believed) said the conduct language is vague. IF that's the case, there's going to be a fight unless it's negotiated behind closed doors ... which I think will happen.

This is bigger than Corey Perry for the NHLPA. That doesn't mean the Hawks aren't in the right ... but there's a lot of moving parts to this situation.

• Haha

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not relevant? Certainly Corey Perry can't be the first player to ever misbehave in the NHL workplace. However, he's the first player to breach the terms of a contract for MISBEHVIOR, any terms of it, and have it terminated? You don't think that's an important or relevant precedent.

The Hawks could very well be in the right, but do you think the NHLPA will stand pat ... especially when it's never happened before ... or at least in recent memory? Imagine what floodgates might open to terminate bad contracts. That makes it relevant.

Again, I don't know the exact language in the CBA. However, the Daily Faceoff (if they are to be believed) said the conduct language is vague. IF that's the case, there's going to be a fight unless it's negotiated behind closed doors ... which I think will happen.

This is bigger than Corey Perry for the NHLPA. That doesn't mean the Hawks aren't in the right ... but there's a lot of moving parts to this situation.

And all your "moving parts" are irrelevant, as I've been trying to tell you for like 2 days now, because Perry has to agree to the NHLPA filing a grievance on his behalf. Perry HAS TO HAVE A DESIRE TO PURSUE IT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad