Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
Not trying to start an argument, but I guess I’m a little confused on how all of this is evolving. This is an oversimplification, but here’s my understanding of how things went down:

1. Perry does something bad
2. Perry is removed from team

A lot of time in between…

3. (I think Perry meets with NHL and they say it’s fine for him to sign elsewhere).
4. Perry DOES sign elsewhere… and now everything is fine and everyone is ok with it?

If, indeed, he said or did something really bad enough to get his contract terminated, shouldn’t that be a big red flag, but then other teams just try to scoop him up?

Idk if I’m missing a big piece to the puzzle or if people just don’t actually care about whatever happened. I’m curious to hear what other people’s thoughts are.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Not trying to start an argument, but I guess I’m a little confused on how all of this is evolving. This is an oversimplification, but here’s my understanding of how things went down:

1. Perry does something bad
2. Perry is removed from team

A lot of time in between…

3. (I think Perry meets with NHL and they say it’s fine for him to sign elsewhere).
4. Perry DOES sign elsewhere… and now everything is fine and everyone is ok with it?

If, indeed, he said or did something really bad enough to get his contract terminated, shouldn’t that be a big red flag, but then other teams just try to scoop him up?

Idk if I’m missing a big piece to the puzzle or if people just don’t actually care about whatever happened. I’m curious to hear what other people’s thoughts are.
I think since he is veteran that has a pretty long track record. I think the new team probably looks at it like a isolated incident when he drank to much. IMO.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Perry stated he was committed to getting help. A safe assumption is that he did, which would alleviate a lot of teams concern about signing him.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
This really worked out for Perry.

2 million signing bonus, gets some time off to work on himself and now on a cup contender

Reactions: BobbyJet

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This really worked out for Perry.

2 million signing bonus, gets some time off to work on himself and now on a cup contender

I don't think we can ever call Edmonton that. At least not until they actually win a Cup. They are a perennial playoff choker, and regularly lose to lesser teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: Pez68

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I don't think we can ever call Edmonton that. At least not until they actually win a Cup. They are a perennial playoff choker, and regularly lose to lesser teams in the playoffs.

Ehhhh.

They stumbled in the two COVID seasons which really don't mean much other then that..

They lost to the higher seeded Ducks in 17.

They lost to the higher seeded AVS who won the cup.

They lost to the higher seeded Golden Knights who won the cup.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ehhhh.

They stumbled in the two COVID seasons which really don't mean much other then that..

They lost to the higher seeded Ducks in 17.

They lost to the higher seeded AVS who won the cup.

They lost to the higher seeded Golden Knights who won the cup.
Drai was drafted in 2014. McDavid was drafted in 2015. That's almost 10 and 9 years ago. They already had multiple #1OA picks by that point. They still haven't even gotten to a Cup Final while having two of the best players in the world on their team, who regularly put up more points than anyone else in the league. Until they actually do something notable, they're not a contender, IMO.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Oilers are a modern version of the San Jose sharks until they finish the job
Who have literally pissed away the prime years of some of the best players the NHL will ever see. If I'm Drai and McDavid, I want out as soon as the contracts are over. These guys are in their late 20's, and for neither of them to ever get a Cup would be a travesty.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Who have literally pissed away the prime years of some of the best players the NHL will ever see. If I'm Drai and McDavid, I want out as soon as the contracts are over. These guys are in their late 20's, and for neither of them to ever get a Cup would be a travesty.
Agreed it’s borderline criminal negligence

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Someone can be a contender, and still probably lose in the playoffs. I don't see any West team being that much better than the other this year, it's pretty wide open. I think they are more of a contender than Toronto, but that's not saying much.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Yeah, you can be a contender and just not get the job done.

Vancouver could win the president's trophy this year with the top goalie, multiple top 10 scorers, the Norris trophy winner...would they not be considered contenders because they haven't made the playoffs in a decade?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

All that secrecy just for John Scott to blurt out what happened on his podcast. Perry got drunk and "made a pass" at a female staffer on NBC Sports. We all pretty much know who the staffer is, but who knows the extent of which he tried to "make a pass". Big difference between a little flirting and sexual harassment.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

All that secrecy just for John Scott to blurt out what happened on his podcast. Perry got drunk and "made a pass" at a female staffer on NBC Sports. We all pretty much know who the staffer is, but who knows the extent of which he tried to "make a pass". Big difference between a little flirting and sexual harassment.

I mean, most of us already knew what happened, and who it happened to, so not a big deal IMO.

Reactions: Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m more surprised at the lack of accountability by some people in the media and some posters here.

Doing what he did while being married, with kids, is bullshit. In public at a team event? Get that shit off my team. Surprised how many people say “that’s it?”

Won’t get into much else but “made a pass” isn’t the verbiage I would use to describe the event.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’m more surprised as the lack of accountability by some people in the media and some posters here.

Doing what he did while being married, with kids, is bullshit. In public at a team event? Get that shit off my team. Surprised how many people say “that’s it?”

Won’t get into much else but “made a pass” isn’t the verbiage I would use to describe the event.

Sports are weird, but if this happened in a normal workplace, you bet they’re getting fired for it. It’s still a turd thing to do even if you aren’t facing legal repercussions.

I meant not a big deal that John Scott brought it up, not that what he did wasn't a big deal, FYI.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m more surprised at the lack of accountability by some people in the media and some posters here.

He's a scumbag. Alcohol is just his excuse. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad