Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks and that's huge for many.
I have not seen it on my list of available apps.
I'll have to look into it further.

What's the min/base package w/MSG, and how much?
Again, thanks.
It's $45 a month for the fubo TV package with MSG. They have add ons but that's the main package. It's called fubo.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's $45 a month for the fubo TV package with MSG. They have add ons but that's the main package. It's called fubo.

So... if you're out of market and subscribe to Fubo you get MSG & Ranger games or are they blacked out?

I guess out of market (in my case, FL) the best option is Center Ice still (or the online version of that).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So... if you're out of market and subscribe to Fubo you get MSG & Ranger games or are they blacked out?

I guess out of market (in my case, FL) the best option is Center Ice still (or the online version of that).

you won't get MSG through Fubo living in Florida, it's a regional network only available in the NY/NYC market. but as you said, since your in FLA do you don't have to worry about blackouts from NHL.TV unless the game is on NHL Network or NBCSN in which case the games are blacked out nationally.

Reactions: Jabroni

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
you won't get MSG through Fubo living in Florida, it's a regional network only available in the NY/NYC market. but as you said, since your in FLA do you don't have to worry about blackouts from NHL.TV unless the game is on NHL Network or NBCSN in which case the games are blacked out nationally.
That is correct. If you're in the MSG coverage area in NY/NJ, you will get MSG and there are no blackouts, it's like a regular TV service which doesn't black out the local channels.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Got it. The only blackouts I have to worry about are regional games vs. TB where I have to watch on local Fox. NHLN comes with Center Ice and NBCSN is standard package on Direct TV.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

$4,95 per month. I get it through ESPN Insider which now part of the subscription.

I subscribe through Apple TV. You don’t need a cable TV subscription for ESPN + programming.

Most of the games will be available on NHL Center Ice.

It’s a cost effective option if you don’t want to spend $139 for NHL Center Ice and are a casual hockey fan.

Last edited:

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
We just cut the cord here in Westchester. We were paying about $230 for the Verizon triple play, which I think expensive due to having 3 cable boxes. We switched to Directv Now which costs $40 bucks and Verizon has a deal on their fastest internet package for about 85. MSG is included in the channel package but FSNY isn’t. But it’s nice to cut that bill in half

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I just signed up for Fubo, I will let everyone know how it goes.
Had to go to fubo and the base package, w/1 exception is very good, has some of the main stuff I enjoy on Sony Playstation Vu, including TCM.
Also has history channel, A&E
the one big bone to pick is no ABC!
now I am able to load ABC as a separate app, and it has most of the programs, tho atm I am not jonesing for most of their lineup.
However, Jeopardy is not on the schedule.
there is reference made that you have to provide tv provider info to get mo programs, presumably the rest of the schedule.
That sucks hard.
Other than that, appears to be okay.

have to get acct with Fub
they do not provide the app for download on firestick
so I then had to go to Amazon, they did have it for download to my acct.

So good so far.
We'll see.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Had to go to fubo and the base package, w/1 exception is very good, has some of the main stuff I enjoy on Sony Playstation Vu, including TCM.
now I am able to load ABC as a separate app, and it has most of the programs, tho atm I am not jonesing for most of their lineup.
there is reference made that you have to provide tv provider info to get mo programs, presumably the rest of the schedule.
That sucks hard.

So good so far.
We'll see.

They may add more channels in the future. They added channels like AMC and Cartoon Network. MSG was only added a year ago.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
That sucks hard.

So good so far.
We'll see.
ABC is free over the antenna, no reason to pay for it

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

FYI, Jeopardy! (just like Wheel) are syndicated programs which are not tied to a particular network. You could see these game shows airing on any "network affiliate" if you are in other markets. It won't be included as a "network" show. You'll need to watch it on your local station...

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles fan here, living in CT. I did Fubo last year due to a temporary living arrangement(stand alone, the extended stay hotel had DirectTV with no options(and no TV when it rained)). A few hiccups, but we got to watch 95% of the games with an okay stream.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That sucks hard.

So good so far.
We'll see.

Do you really need ABC, though? Can't you just put up a window antenna?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If you have broadband at your new location, you don't need to subscribe to NHL Center Ice. You can subscribe to NHL.tv, which is pretty much the same thing. You will watch hockey via a Roku or the NHL App on your phone / tablet / ipod touch / etc. Of course, you will need to be "out of market" to watch the Rangers...

If you want to LISTEN to the game, you can do so (listen to Kenny and Dave do the radio call) at no charge as long as you have an NHL.com account via the NHL app on your iPod / iPhone.

You are only out of market if your IP address is in GNY. (Hint: Look into VPN)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
That sucks hard.

So good so far.
We'll see.

How satisfied have you been with the service? Does FUBO give you the ability to DVR shows? I generally record NYR games and watch them after work skipping through commercials and most of the intermissions. Having to watch live would be a challenge for me.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If you were to search Reddit for a NHL streams group... you may find what you're looking for

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How satisfied have you been with the service? Does FUBO give you the ability to DVR shows? I generally record NYR games and watch them after work skipping through commercials and most of the intermissions. Having to watch live would be a challenge for me.

Thanks for digging this up.
Have been meaning to update.

For the most part, it is a big thumbs up
The water is mostly fine, come in and stick it to cable.

Details
using a Netgear 26 modem I own, which has good bandwith
not sure when Spectrum upgraded, but there was an issue resolved within 24 hours as a result of which I learned that the signal is very strong, so strong he had to dilute it slightly.
Cable or anything else, results are best when the signal balances the feed coming in with whatever device you have.

Another thing about that, while my cables themselves were not super old coax, they were not the latest.
Cables themselves are a factor in thru put and balance, apparently.
I got lucky and the cable guy I had didn't look to rush out with a cheap and fast job, he took the time to replace my feed.

So now its fully kickin
Just a reminder I get the $15/mo minimum basic-min level cable feed.
If you pay more, you get more/better signal.
I'm also using a nice Sharp Acquos tv for a great picture.

There had initially been some negative experience with some haze very rarely, but not never, which I don't' see now.

Part of this is the compression the streaming service utilizes. I think FUBU prob does make some decent effort to address overall quality. They could prob be a little more on the case with this particular item, but not enuf to complain about at this point, assuming no regression.

----------
Viewing:
my interface to tv is amazon tv firestick
all wireless, other than connection of feed to my modem/router.

Aside from not getting Ch7 on board --- I've been too lazy to try and see if and if nec. force the ABC app to accept some # from my spectrum bill.

In terms of what I choose to view, I have otherwise what I want.
I watch Supergirl on the CW
and the CW is not WPIX and some Yankee games are 'pix, not on CW.
Can't get those games on YES, but it is an extremely small # of games.

Methodology of this setup is not like cable or traditional tv.
No selection of channel, toggle w/last channel viewed.
Instead you select a program scheduled at a given time.

Usually, 99% of the time, that is not a problem.
But there is a sharp cutoff for which you must manually adjust, the setup does not resolve for you.

So specifically, I watch a Yankee game.
It is scheduled for 3 hours
It runs late.
If I'm just watching that channel, it's no big whoop, it stays on the channel.
If I want to see the end, I do nothing but watch.
But if I RECORD
then
I have to have presence of mind to also have selected
'Yankee Post Game' to get the overrun.

I also noted a recent 'Knightfall' was like an hour 5 mins.
A show recording (generally, not just this) is approx 61-62 mins for what is an hour, typically starting a few seconds before the program begins. And generally, it is enuf to fully capture a show, and the title credits at end before it bumps into intro of next show.
But in this case, I lost about 90 seconds off the end of that episode.

Can't blame them for a show with an irregular 65ish mins, but unless I had presence to record the entire show following that episode, I missed it.

Overall complaints, negligible
get 30 hours at any given time which I manage to juggle a wks programming in that
if I want to I can buy more time

customer service is good.

hope that was helpful

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

What is this $15 minimum-basic Spectrum package of which you speak? Broadcast Basic TV from Spectrum is $23.89 + the Broadcast TV Surcharge.
Or are you referring to Everyday-Low-Price (3/1) Internet at $14.99 per month?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Thanks for digging this up.
Have been meaning to update.

For the most part, it is a big thumbs up
The water is mostly fine, come in and stick it to cable.

Details
using a Netgear 26 modem I own, which has good bandwith
not sure when Spectrum upgraded, but there was an issue resolved within 24 hours as a result of which I learned that the signal is very strong, so strong he had to dilute it slightly.
Cable or anything else, results are best when the signal balances the feed coming in with whatever device you have.

Another thing about that, while my cables themselves were not super old coax, they were not the latest.
Cables themselves are a factor in thru put and balance, apparently.
I got lucky and the cable guy I had didn't look to rush out with a cheap and fast job, he took the time to replace my feed.

So now its fully kickin

I'm also using a nice Sharp Acquos tv for a great picture.

There had initially been some negative experience with some haze very rarely, but not never, which I don't' see now.

Part of this is the compression the streaming service utilizes. I think FUBU prob does make some decent effort to address overall quality. They could prob be a little more on the case with this particular item, but not enuf to complain about at this point, assuming no regression.

----------
Viewing:
my interface to tv is amazon tv firestick
all wireless, other than connection of feed to my modem/router.

Aside from not getting Ch7 on board --- I've been too lazy to try and see if and if nec. force the ABC app to accept some # from my spectrum bill.

In terms of what I choose to view, I have otherwise what I want.
I watch Supergirl on the CW
and the CW is not WPIX and some Yankee games are 'pix, not on CW.
Can't get those games on YES, but it is an extremely small # of games.

Methodology of this setup is not like cable or traditional tv.
No selection of channel, toggle w/last channel viewed.
Instead you select a program scheduled at a given time.

Usually, 99% of the time, that is not a problem.
But there is a sharp cutoff for which you must manually adjust, the setup does not resolve for you.

So specifically, I watch a Yankee game.
It is scheduled for 3 hours
It runs late.
If I'm just watching that channel, it's no big whoop, it stays on the channel.
If I want to see the end, I do nothing but watch.
But if I RECORD
then
I have to have presence of mind to also have selected
'Yankee Post Game' to get the overrun.

I also noted a recent 'Knightfall' was like an hour 5 mins.
A show recording (generally, not just this) is approx 61-62 mins for what is an hour, typically starting a few seconds before the program begins. And generally, it is enuf to fully capture a show, and the title credits at end before it bumps into intro of next show.
But in this case, I lost about 90 seconds off the end of that episode.

Can't blame them for a show with an irregular 65ish mins, but unless I had presence to record the entire show following that episode, I missed it.

Overall complaints, negligible
get 30 hours at any given time which I manage to juggle a wks programming in that
if I want to I can buy more time

customer service is good.

hope that was helpful

Thanks.

To clarify, $15 minimum cable feed is from Spectrum, or FuboTV? I assume FuboTV is in HD...how does the picture quality compare to FiOS/Spectrum?

Nice to hear you get a DVR included. 30 hours should be enough for me.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is this $15 minimum-basic Spectrum package of which you speak? Broadcast Basic TV from Spectrum is $23.89 + the Broadcast TV Surcharge.
Or are you referring to Everyday-Low-Price (3/1) Internet at $14.99 per month?

I didn't say "package" and sorry if I gave that impression.
("Just a reminder I get the $15/mo minimum basic-min level cable feed.")

Yes, I believe it is actually $14.99 tax included, and as far as Spectrum is concerned, they call it internet, fine, but it is a cable feed which of course can be used for wireless internet, tho I also use it for streaming.

Now remember, 3-4 years ago I bought this Netgear 26 modem-router new for upwards of #225 + tax at B&H.
This model is no longer available.
Last time I priced 6 or so months ago, a slightly better version got about $199.

If you don't own the modem-route, they can charge to rent you one, and it is what they decide to give you, so a 1x investment in affording a better one I consider worthwhile in the end.

Amazon firetv stick.
The cheap model was $40 when I got it, last I heard it was 30. That is 1x fee to purchase, you own it, no monthly charges.
It is like a flash drive and you are limited by the physical size of it, so if you plan to hold a lot of apps, you may want to splurge for the more expensive firestick model which is physically larger and holds more.

Amazon then is the interface for all your apps.
They charge you no separate fee.
They get their cut out of the app provider.
You must have credit card or direct bank transfer or other likewise acceptable to them, you cannot be billed and pay when you get around to it. Automatic billing.
So I pay like $44-45 + tax for FUBO
and nothing else for any free apps [many have commercials, but hey, they're free].

So my total ongoing viewing costs/month
are
like $15 + $45+ = $60 or a coupla dollars over

Like I said, push Spectrum to have good feed into the building, even if you are not paying for premium level throughput, and push for good, relatively current wires, new ones are even better, assuming they give you that and not a cheap substitute.
If your throughput is good and you are using connection to 1 tv, not split signal to multiple, you should be all good.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks.

To clarify, $15 minimum cable feed is from Spectrum, or FuboTV? I assume FuboTV is in HD...how does the picture quality compare to FiOS/Spectrum?

Nice to hear you get a DVR included. 30 hours should be enough for me.

Have never used FiOS; they do not offer IMO preferable packages for best prices.
Spectrum I inherited from Time Warner.
Couldn't wait to cut the cord, first with Sony Playstation, but they had no MSG, so once I was able to get FUBO, I jumped. Plus last yr Playstation jumped from 45 to 49 while FUBO currently is $45.

As to reception, although in theory direct connected cable is purer than wireless streaming transmission, you can find issues if all signals are not calibrated properly.

So I'm good with this.

As to picture quality, it's 2019.
You don't need to go out now to buy a smart tv with acceptable quality if you have a sufficiently good one from, say, upwards of the last 5 years.
Sets older than that may still deliver, but obviously, generally newer technology delivers sharper picks than a comparable older model.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I didn't say "package" and sorry if I gave that impression.
("Just a reminder I get the $15/mo minimum basic-min level cable feed.")

Yes, I believe it is actually $14.99 tax included, and as far as Spectrum is concerned, they call it internet, fine, but it is a cable feed which of course can be used for wireless internet, tho I also use it for streaming.

Thanks for clarifying. You pay Spectrum for Internet Only, you are not a video customer. This also explains why you cannot feed some number from your Spectrum bill into an app login to make use of the "abc" app. You are not a video customer, and therefore can't be authenticated.

The CW is the only "network" I know of that pretty much offers up all their content without a paid subscription. The stuff on the CW Roku Channel is free, but as you wrote, it's not a WPIX feed.

Now remember, 3-4 years ago I bought this Netgear 26 modem-router new for upwards of #225 + tax at B&H.
This model is no longer available.
Last time I priced 6 or so months ago, a slightly better version got about $199.

If you don't own the modem-route, they can charge to rent you one, and it is what they decide to give you, so a 1x investment in affording a better one I consider worthwhile in the end.

I too, subscribe to Spectrum's ELP @ $14.99. I bought a Motorola SB 6141 YEARS ago. I also own my own router, so I don't pay anything in rental fees for internet. The 3/1 speed is fine for my needs. A faster modem is not required for the internet speed I subscribe to. If I ever went to 200/20 or 400/40, I'd need a new one. But if you move to those speeds, they give you a modem rent free. Only ELP Customers, or those on legacy Time Warner Cable Internet plans need to pay to rent a MODEM. (They will charge you to rent a router - it's the $5 wi-fi fee, and that's easy to avoid).

I use a Roku instead of a Firestick. My Roku is hard-wired to my router, although I have used it wirelessly in the past.

Like I said, push Spectrum to have good feed into the building, even if you are not paying for premium level throughput, and push for good, relatively current wires, new ones are even better, assuming they give you that and not a cheap substitute.
If your throughput is good and you are using connection to 1 tv, not split signal to multiple, you should be all good.

That's a whole different issue... It's all about how many items you have connected to your drop, and the quality of the wiring, both in your unit and in the building. Old, rat-chewed wiring (or even water damaged wiring), poor quality splitters, and unterminated cable drops (cable lines just laying on the carpet, or wall outlets without terminators on them)) will result in noise ingress to the cable system, and result in slower internet speeds for you and your neighbors. You'd also notice pixelated video if you were a video subscriber. TV Stations and cell phone providers use the same frequencies that the cable company does, and damaged wiring allows TV Stations and cell phones to act like a signal jammer.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Have never used FiOS; they do not offer IMO preferable packages for best prices.
Spectrum I inherited from Time Warner.
Couldn't wait to cut the cord, first with Sony Playstation, but they had no MSG, so once I was able to get FUBO, I jumped. Plus last yr Playstation jumped from 45 to 49 while FUBO currently is $45.

As to reception, although in theory direct connected cable is purer than wireless streaming transmission, you can find issues if all signals are not calibrated properly.

So I'm good with this.

As to picture quality, it's 2019.
You don't need to go out now to buy a smart tv with acceptable quality if you have a sufficiently good one from, say, upwards of the last 5 years.
Sets older than that may still deliver, but obviously, generally newer technology delivers sharper picks than a comparable older model.

Thanks. Would you say that the picture quality on MSG-HD through Fubo is comparable to what you got on Spectrum? Not looking to buy a new TV, but I watch primarily on my HD front projector so ideally it would be fed a sharp, detailed broadcast that isn't suffering from compression artifacts, etc. Just curious how the feed from a streaming service compares with a traditional cable provider. Really I guess I'm just asking how good the FuboTV stream is since I already get great 4k broadcasts on my bedroom set from YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks. Would you say that the picture quality on MSG-HD through Fubo is comparable to what you got on Spectrum? Not looking to buy a new TV, but I watch primarily on my HD front projector so ideally it would be fed a sharp, detailed broadcast that isn't suffering from compression artifacts, etc. Just curious how the feed from a streaming service compares with a traditional cable provider. Really I guess I'm just asking how good the FuboTV stream is since I already get great 4k broadcasts on my bedroom set from YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc.

you're welcome
as to fubo [platform for streaming] vs Spectrum [direct cable]
Yes. I think ballpark you should be happy as to quality/HD results.

not speaking as to seeing a molecule on somebody's face close up, but overall, yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad