Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
never too old, and the subject is timely/important

your opinion is welcome
Well, a few years back, they used to post in the game threads, links to NY Rangers streams on the internet. Well they did away with posting those links here at HF because they are basically illegal streams. But that doesn't mean they don't still exist. You can get practically anything on the net for free if you know how to search and navigate popups. I am retired and living on a budget and haven't had a cable subscription in many years. But that doesn't stop me from watching whatever I want on the internet. Just FYI.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Well, a few years back, they used to post in the game threads, links to NY Rangers streams on the internet. Well they did away with posting those links here at HF because they are basically illegal streams. But that doesn't mean they don't still exist. You can get practically anything on the net for free if you know how to search and navigate popups. I am retired and living on a budget and haven't had a cable subscription in many years. But that doesn't stop me from watching whatever I want on the internet. Just FYI.

thanks for the share
your reminder as to what is theoretically possible is appreciated.

Reactions: ohbaby

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
anyone know if the new Peacock app from nbc will cover games? There is live streaming on the app and a portion of the app is free

You mean games on NBC over-the-air or on NBCSN?
I doubt it. Your local affiliate wants your eyeball credit, not the app, for watching a game on free TV (Unless of course they've added local affiliates, but I doubt that has happened.)

NBCSN is a pay service, and again I doubt they'd give away their most compelling content for free.

Reactions: bernmeister

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I know where you can stream NHL games in crystal clear HD quality for free. DM if you like, i can't post it here due to "illegal streaming".

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I tried to use airplay to stream MSG GO app from my iPad to Apple TV and only audio would work, no picture.
I have msg through my Spectrum subscription and I downloaded the MSGGO APP on my iPhone and it works. I even are able to watch games when I am using Verizon LTE and hotel WiFi when I am traveling.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I know most people have iPhones these days but whenever you're ready to ditch that little kids phone and embrace Android, let me know.
Endless resources to watching anything you want..

Reactions: yada

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It is good we keep this thread to keep track of what existing options are

BUT
we need to organize and impress on our elected officials that we need for the manufacturers, the teams, to make broadcast of games available DIRECTLY to the consumer.
Sure, if Fubo or this one or that one or the other one can work together a volume deal, and everybody wins, fine.

But forget otherwise, EVEN STILL, I want my freedom.
I want the ability to be sure to have access to purchase content directly at a reasonable #.
I want FUBO and everybody else to capitulate and it only takes local leaders giving enough pressure on the teams and the league to do the right thing.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

BUT
we need to organize and impress on our elected officials that we need for the manufacturers, the teams, to make broadcast of games available DIRECTLY to the consumer.
Sure, if Fubo or this one or that one or the other one can work together a volume deal, and everybody wins, fine.

I want the ability to be sure to have access to purchase content directly at a reasonable #.
I want FUBO and everybody else to capitulate and it only takes local leaders giving enough pressure on the teams and the league to do the right thing.
IMO the NHL should have a rule that all teams MUST put at least 10% of their games on free over the air broadcast TV

That would grow the fan base more than anything

Reactions: mas0764

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Sure would be nice if another streaming service added MSG before the start of next season. I canceled cable back in June and haven't missed it for a second. That said, I did try the free 7 day Fubo trial through my Roku during the play in round...it got the job done, but it isn't anywhere close to watching on cable just yet. The DVR and fast forward is really wonky.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
IMO the NHL should have a rule that all teams MUST put at least 10% of their games on free over the air broadcast TV

That would grow the fan base more than anything

as a cost of doing biz marketing to give sport exposure that makes sense, tho I understand rights of both players and owners to get paid, and free tv means those free networks will cough up accordingly, which may or may not sufficient and may vary w/local market.

However there is ZERO effing excuse for any owner to engage in what is close to de facto collusion and deprive me of direct access to the product at a reasonable price.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Sure would be nice if another streaming service added MSG before the start of next season. I canceled cable back in June and haven't missed it for a second. That said, I did try the free 7 day Fubo trial through my Roku during the play in round...it got the job done, but it isn't anywhere close to watching on cable just yet. The DVR and fast forward is really wonky.
If you're so inclined, you can set up any video feed to pipe into another system like a tivo and then use that system to pause/FFW/Rewind

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
There are many ways, be it on Win10, Linux, iOS, Android, etc. Doesn't matter which platform you're on.

I'm a cord cutter and watch every game in HD on any device I want. iPad, Android phone, Win10 PC, Linux server, Roku TV, Side-loaded APK Fire on main TV etc.

Happy to help.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
This probably isn’t a true cord cutter question since I have Fios as a provider, but I often watch other NHL games on secondary screens when the wife has the remote. Is there any legal way to stream games on NHL network? They’re blacked out on nhl tv app and can’t stream on other devices through the Fios app. As someone who has the channel through cable and pays for NHL tv, I can’t believe there’s no way for me to stream without an illegal link or vpn.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

BUT

I get what you are saying, but if you wanted to subscibe directly to MSG without any kind of cable subsciption, you would likely be charged a lot more than what you deem reasonable. They would have to charge a lot more than you think to make it profitable. By allowing consumers to order direct, the middle man (spectrum, directv, etc) is going to pay a lot less as they know they will lose customers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I get what you are saying, but if you wanted to subscibe directly to MSG without any kind of cable subsciption, you would likely be charged a lot more than what you deem reasonable. They would have to charge a lot more than you think to make it profitable. By allowing consumers to order direct, the middle man (spectrum, directv, etc) is going to pay a lot less as they know they will lose customers.

Not sure I agree/follow.

Currently all programming must go through cable (spectrum, etc) or streaming (atm Fubo only) or few other options.

On the other hand, if MSG where made available directly regardless of platform, i.e., its own cable, though that I could see being unwieldy OR its own streaming (yes!) that I see as a win win.
I am sure just as my amazon firestick has apps for this, that and a whole lotta other stuff, I am sure an MSG channel [or more correctly, multiple MSG channels through/under an MSG app] would get Dolan most of the NYK/NYR fan base and its viewership.

No prob to cut out the middleman, Dolan takes lion's share, cost to us reduced. Fubo and Spectrum etc supposedly have to charge less b'c they either don't have or are competing vs MSG Network for the programming.

The x factor here is what level volume discount MSG gives.
But there are a lot of variables in that equation.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure I agree/follow.

Currently all programming must go through cable (spectrum, etc) or streaming (atm Fubo only) or few other options.

On the other hand, if MSG where made available directly regardless of platform, i.e., its own cable, though that I could see being unwieldy OR its own streaming (yes!) that I see as a win win.
I am sure just as my amazon firestick has apps for this, that and a whole lotta other stuff, I am sure an MSG channel [or more correctly, multiple MSG channels through/under an MSG app] would get Dolan most of the NYK/NYR fan base and its viewership.

No prob to cut out the middleman, Dolan takes lion's share, cost to us reduced. Fubo and Spectrum etc supposedly have to charge less b'c they either don't have or are competing vs MSG Network for the programming.

The x factor here is what level volume discount MSG gives.
But there are a lot of variables in that equation.
Yes, but MSG gets paid by companies like Spectrum for people who get MSG as part of their package, but never watch it. Those people are not going to subscribe to MSG on its own through Roku, firestick, etc. The bread and butter right now for companies like Spectrum are the live local sports. They know they would take a beating if they lost the exclusivity to that and will pay MSG, SNY, YES, what they need to to keep it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes, but MSG gets paid by companies like Spectrum for people who get MSG as part of their package, but never watch it. Those people are not going to subscribe to MSG on its own through Roku, firestick, etc. The bread and butter right now for companies like Spectrum are the live local sports. They know they would take a beating if they lost the exclusivity to that and will pay MSG, SNY, YES, what they need to to keep it.

The fallacy there is thinking they can pay more than the fans do directly.
Also, there is a huge amount of indirect $ and the intangible value of good will which MSG would earn by going this way.

There is enough streaming going on now, the snowball is already heading down the slope in this direction, it's just a matter of when do they want to have the balls to go this way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->