Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I hate the term cord cutter/cutting. It's false 99.9% of the time. You have Internet, likely from the same company you would get video from. I don't know why but the term just irritates me. This notion of "I've freed myself from the man" is a joke.

Every "cutter" I know uses a log in from someone else to watch things.

Also, get off my lawn

End rant/

I think the animosity stems from--and rightfully so--the fact that cable companies require you to purchase large swaths of channels just to get the two or three you really want.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This is why many companies, like MSG, are not rushing to support ala carte tv.

The regional sports network, which has the TV rights for the Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders and other sports teams, collects roughly $5 per subscriber per month — among the highest in the country, SNL Kagan said.

MSG Networks reaches roughly 7 million homes in New York and adjoining states.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/03/msg-networks-is-looking-to-sell/

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I tried NHL.tv about 4 years ago. The Rangers were playing in Calgary (I live in Atlanta) and it wasn't considered an out of market game. I lost my ****.

If the game was broadcast on the NHL Network, NBCSN (or any of its predecessors), or NBC itself, it would be blacked out on NHL.tv and NHL Center Ice.

Just because you are out-of-market doesn't mean the game will always be on NHL.tv / NHL Center Ice....

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah, I gave up the dream of being able to drop cable. Just canceled and then renewed my subscription with FiOS during the Gb internet promotion they were running. Also got home phone (with a 212 number) and my bill dropped from ~$220/month down to $146 all in. Considering what they charge for internet as a standalone, it's really not worth it to me to deal with jumping through hoops to try and watch Rangers games to save a few bucks. Maybe it will be different a couple years from now.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If the game was broadcast on the NHL Network, NBCSN (or any of its predecessors), or NBC itself, it would be blacked out on NHL.tv and NHL Center Ice.

Just because you are out-of-market doesn't mean the game will always be on NHL.tv / NHL Center Ice....

Correct. The game was not broadcast anywhere. More than 50% of the Rangers games I tried to watch were blacked out on the NHL.tv app.

I loved Center Ice but unfortunately ATT doesn't carry it.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Correct. The game was not broadcast anywhere. More than 50% of the Rangers games I tried to watch were blacked out on the NHL.tv app.

I loved Center Ice but unfortunately ATT doesn't carry it.

My experience was different. I had NHL.tv, and watched on my TV via my Roku. The only times I couldn't watch the Rangers was when they were on NHL Network. I subscribed to NBCSN, but not the NHL Network. So those nights I went out to the bar...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I hate the term cord cutter/cutting. It's false 99.9% of the time. You have Internet, likely from the same company you would get video from. I don't know why but the term just irritates me. This notion of "I've freed myself from the man" is a joke.

Also, get off my lawn

End rant/

I think the animosity stems from--and rightfully so--the fact that cable companies require you to purchase large swaths of channels just to get the two or three you really want.

Well, there are two terms I see used.

1. Cord-Cutter. A subscriber to a video package from a cable, telephone, or satellite company who decides to terminate their video subscription and go with OTA + some other vehicle (Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, etc).

2. Cord-Never. A person who has never subscribed to a video service from a cable, telephone, or satellite company. They always used OTA and streaming services.

Trends show that the older you are, the more likely you will still have a pay-TV subscription. As you get younger, you are more likely to be a cord-cutter, and even younger a cord-never.

This is a problem that the content owners are worried about.... Their business model will require revision, because revenue from pay TV subs is dropping. The layoffs at ESPN are just the beginning of the change in the sports programming landscape.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Also, get off my lawn

End rant/

You can actually do it with a cell router. They have a lot of them in Europe where you just pop in the SIM card and you get the internet from your cell provider. Those frequencies don't work here but you can still do it with routers that come with a USB port where you just plug in a USB 4G Stick. So no more cable TV, no more cable/phone internet. Good luck with getting rid of wired electricity though :)

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Also, get off my lawn

End rant/

I'm fairly certain the term "cord cutter" might not have been started by but was certainly spearheaded virally via astroturfing by streaming providers [i.e. Netflix, Google, Hulu, etc.].

Help the man stick it to the man by sticking it to the man!

Anyway, the cable packages stink as well as most television programming in general, so I don't blame people for getting rid of that crap, but I agree that the term "cord cutter" can be triggering.

In regard to the game tonight, which fringe AHLers will play a good pre season game and be in a Christian Dube fanboy territory until mid season ?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
What I don't understand is why the NHL doesn't make it mandatory for each team to broadcast at least X% of all games on free over the air networks. Even the mighty Yankees & Mets with YES and SNY license out a bunch of games to My9 and Pix11 each year. The Rangers are completely invisible in NYC for people that aren't already fans. You'd think the NHL would actually be TRYING to grow the game when it complains all the time about the growth of the game

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A lawyer I deal with and I were talking about this and MSG and its former parent org.

Firstly, I have to give a shout to the charity work, and social responsibility that the latter did for decades. Say what you will about Jimmy Dolan, but their family did a ton for people who needed jobs and help in the last 20 years.

That said, they saw the trends with cord cutters, and exited their business to a French conglomerate for the very reason the OP highlighted.

I only kept cable to watch hockey.

But the OP isn't the only one. It's another one of these generational trends that is changing business dynamics.

Why pay for something you won't use?

This is also the reason why you see scrubs running the show at ESPN.

Market dynamics have changed, as have consumer habits.

This thread is a nice snippet of that.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
What I don't understand is why the NHL doesn't make it mandatory for each team to broadcast at least X% of all games on free over the air networks. Even the mighty Yankees & Mets with YES and SNY license out a bunch of games to My9 and Pix11 each year. The Rangers are completely invisible in NYC for people that aren't already fans. You'd think the NHL would actually be TRYING to grow the game when it complains all the time about the growth of the game

There is more money for the teams via the TV deal if all the games are put on the RSN, outside the "National" games.

Rangers games used to be on W(W)OR-TV Channel 9 (before and after RKO had to sell the station) through the 80's. But remember, back then, cable TV didn't exist in New York City outside of Manhattan...

I am sure they'd do it if the station could make money on it, but I think that the programming they'd have to preempt on Channel 9 or 11 brings them more money in revenue than a hockey game would. Now maybe if they'd get a package of non-primetime games that would play in garbage time (weekend afternoons, etc.), they might be able to make a go at it.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
when a la carte pricing finally comes, most people will end up paying more. especially if they somehow eliminate people sharing log ins

Internet prices are just going to continue to rise. Video may start getting added for free as a benefit to join certain service providers. They dont make much money off video as it is.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
has anyone used the NHL.tv service? The price is similar to Center Ice but I don't think you need cable for it.
edit: ooooor $60 cheaper than center ice

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does cord cutting mean that you drop the tv channels and only watch online?

BTW, anyone got any NA vpn service to recommend? Are there any alternatives to HS?

Pre-season is hopeless to watch without HS...

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

BTW, anyone got any NA vpn service to recommend? Are there any alternatives to HS?

Pre-season is hopeless to watch without HS...

Ola, the easiest free VPN to recommend is owned by and built in to the Opera browser. It may not automatically connect to an NA IP address, but you can choose United States afterwards if you like. It likes to pick a Seattle, Washington IP though...which will put you out-of-market for MSGGO. If you want to be able to choose New York as the location of your IP address, you might be best served paying for a VPN. Cyberghost is a pretty good choice. Their free VPN used to hook me up with New York all the time, but they have changed the free service now. I pretty much get stuck with Milan, Italy all the time. I'm pretty sure if you chose to pay Cyberghost, New York would be one of the many choices for you to connect through. If you buy the 12 month plan, it's $4.99/month ($59.88 for the year). It's a fast, reliable VPN. I don't know if it matters to you, but Cyberghost is based in Bucharest, Romania....with most of the software being developed in Germany (of course).

Their privacy policy can be read here: https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/privacypolicy

P.S. - What is HS?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Where do the terms and conditions say you can't share your account? Most streaming services (netflix, hulu amazon) allow it but limit you to a certain number of concurrent connections. I have a slingbox which allows you to create as many guest accounts as you want - but only one person can use it at a time.

Slingbox is a different animal. No idea on the terms and conditions as I did not care to read them that thoroughly. However, if you think the intent of creating those apps is to let people borrow others credentials, then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It's still utterly absurd that there is no LEGAL way to watch the Rangers in NY if you are a cord cutter.
Why? It's their content and more profitable for them to offer it through only a cable/satellite package. Same people that own MSG also own a provider, and they know that live local sports is what is keeping people subscribing to the packages.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
when a la carte pricing finally comes, most people will end up paying more. especially if they somehow eliminate people sharing log ins

Internet prices are just going to continue to rise. Video may start getting added for free as a benefit to join certain service providers. They dont make much money off video as it is.

Yes, they will. If people really think they are only going to pay $1-2 for each channel they want, then they must be smoking something funny. Channels like MSG will likely be $15-20/month. SNY and YES will be the same. Oh, and on top of that they will simply raise the internet rates. People will be paying the same, if not more, but hey at least they aren't paying for channels they do not want.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
has anyone used the NHL.tv service? The price is similar to Center Ice but I don't think you need cable for it.
edit: ooooor $60 cheaper than center ice

When I was on TDY out in the midwest, I subscribed. I used a Roku to watch on my TV. All you need is a good internet connection. You can also watch on your phone / iPad / iPod Touch with the NHL app.

But remember, it doesn't guarantee you every game. If the game is on NHL Network or NBCSN, you won't get it on MSG, even if it is being shown on MSG in NYC. When the "National" TV Schedule is posted, you will learn that you'll lose a good dozen if not more Rangers games (on top of the ones that are on NBC). You'll need an antenna for your local NBC affiliate, plus a sub for NBCSN and NHL Network to get ALL the games.

Since I didn't know how long TDY would be, I went with the $24.99 monthly option.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Slingbox is a different animal. No idea on the terms and conditions as I did not care to read them that thoroughly. However, if you think the intent of creating those apps is to let people borrow others credentials, then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

You're only selling half of it? I'll sell him the Manhattan side...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

Cord cutting implies that you erect an antenna, either in your living room or on the roof of your home, to watch the local television broadcasts in your market. (i.e. CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, CW, PBS, and the independents), instead of paying someone to watch this programming.

Many typically subsidize it with a hulu / Netflix / Amazon Video subscription. Newer entrants to the field incluse SlingTV, DirecTV Now, and PS Vue, which are over-the-top IP television solutions. Cord cutters still pay for their internet connections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad