Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

NYRangers09

Dec 10, 2007
Hey all,

Just moved to NYC and trying to not pay for cable but still watch the games on my TV somehow. I know MSGGO will let me watch it on my phone or computer (using my friends cable login info) but it looks like it's not available on smart tvs/roku/firetv/chromecast.

Anybody have any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

Mamas Mustard

Sponsor
Nov 21, 2013
bergen co
Fellow cord cutter chiming in. First off I'm not sure if this topic will be deleted, but if you have a laptop, you can sign on to msggo.com and connect the laptop to your tv with an hdmi cable.

Or, if you have a desktop, find a long enough hdmi cable

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's infuriating that MSG Go is still not available on Apple TV and the like.
You still need a cable contract to watch games with msg go don't you? A lot of ranger games will be on the nbcsports app on appletv plus you can always use airplay to watch msg go over apple tv. Not an elegant solution perhaps but easy to do.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Fellow cord cutter chiming in. First off I'm not sure if this topic will be deleted, but if you have a laptop, you can sign on to msggo.com and connect the laptop to your tv with an hdmi cable.

Or, if you have a desktop, find a long enough hdmi cable

Not going to be deleted as long as all the discussion is about legal ways to watch the game.

I am curious myself as to what to do. My wife and I built a house in a new neighborhood and unfortunately they only have one cable provider, ATT. Uverse doesn't offer NHL Center Ice.

NYRangers09

Dec 10, 2007
You still need a cable contract to watch games with msg go don't you? A lot of ranger games will be on the nbcsports app on appletv plus you can always use airplay to watch msg go over apple tv. Not an elegant solution perhaps but easy to do.

Have you ever used airplay to stream? I've heard it does a really poor job so I've avoided trying to do it

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I have one with my parents. I only watch a few channels, so I pay them a small fee to access their cable password (granted, I also manage all of their accounts for them and do all of their work in coordinating service upgrading, repairs, etc.).

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Have you ever used airplay to stream? I've heard it does a really poor job so I've avoided trying to do it
I've never had issues streaming on airplay. I watched ranger and knick games that way (rangers are on nbc sports app though not sure if its all games). I can also watch amazon prime videos on my tv without an amazon prime app. I can watch it through my xbox but I hate the interface.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To do so legally, you will have to go to a bar or someone's place who has it. Using someone else's password is the grey area. Plenty of sites that stream illegally, shouldn't be too hard to find them.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
To do so legally, you will have to go to a bar or someone's place who has it. Using someone else's password is the grey area. Plenty of sites that stream illegally, shouldn't be too hard to find them.
Where do the terms and conditions say you can't share your account? Most streaming services (netflix, hulu amazon) allow it but limit you to a certain number of concurrent connections. I have a slingbox which allows you to create as many guest accounts as you want - but only one person can use it at a time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What are the on demand options for pre-season? Does Msggo work in Europe? Replies and or PMs are appreciated! ;)

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Not going to be deleted as long as all the discussion is about legal ways to watch the game.

I am curious myself as to what to do. My wife and I built a house in a new neighborhood and unfortunately they only have one cable provider, ATT. Uverse doesn't offer NHL Center Ice.

If you have broadband at your new location, you don't need to subscribe to NHL Center Ice. You can subscribe to NHL.tv, which is pretty much the same thing. You will watch hockey via a Roku or the NHL App on your phone / tablet / ipod touch / etc. Of course, you will need to be "out of market" to watch the Rangers...

If you want to LISTEN to the game, you can do so (listen to Kenny and Dave do the radio call) at no charge as long as you have an NHL.com account via the NHL app on your iPod / iPhone.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I'm confused... if MSG GO works on your phone (assuming its an Android), then it works on Chromecast. It may not work with the Chromecast app, but use a third-party casting app like LocalCast.

I haven't used MSG GO, but HBO GO isn't compatible with the Chromecast app but works great with LocalCast.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm not sure what type of Smart TV you have but if it's a Samsung, you can just get the AllShare app and it will stream any smart device/PC/laptop to your TV over your Wifi connection.

If it's not a Samsung I'm sure the TV manufacturer has a comparable app that will do the same thing.

If you can't get that going, a good HDMI cable will do the trick just fine.

Hope that helps

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
It's still utterly absurd that there is no LEGAL way to watch the Rangers in NY if you are a cord cutter.

Eventually I'm sure MSG will sell subscriptions to MSG GO but who knows when that happens.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
What are the on demand options for pre-season? Does Msggo work in Europe? Replies and or PMs are appreciated! ;)
I'm pretty sure that most of these services don't work outside the US (haven't tested it with msg go though), though for some services it may depend on the country you're in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
One of my friends has an NHL.tv subscription and uses a VPN called AdFreeTime ($1.99/month) and sets it to Spain. He gets every game and the quality is great.

I'm not sure what type of Smart TV you have but if it's a Samsung, you can just get the AllShare app and it will stream any smart device/PC/laptop to your TV over your Wifi connection.

If it's not a Samsung I'm sure the TV manufacturer has a comparable app that will do the same thing.

If you can't get that going, a good HDMI cable will do the trick just fine.

Hope that helps

Oh? I was unaware of this. I should try this tonight with my Samsung...

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
One of my friends has an NHL.tv subscription and uses a VPN called AdFreeTime ($1.99/month) and sets it to Spain. He gets every game and the quality is great.

Oh? I was unaware of this. I should try this tonight with my Samsung...

I have cable but I use AllShare occasionally for misc media sharing.
It works great ;)

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Eventually I'm sure MSG will sell subscriptions to MSG GO but who knows when that happens.

When the content owners realize that more money can be made from selling a-la-carte in-season only subscriptions to their Regional Sports Networks versus the current "per-cable household year round" fees they get, then you'll see it.

Until then....

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you have broadband at your new location, you don't need to subscribe to NHL Center Ice. You can subscribe to NHL.tv, which is pretty much the same thing. You will watch hockey via a Roku or the NHL App on your phone / tablet / ipod touch / etc. Of course, you will need to be "out of market" to watch the Rangers...

If you want to LISTEN to the game, you can do so (listen to Kenny and Dave do the radio call) at no charge as long as you have an NHL.com account via the NHL app on your iPod / iPhone.

I tried NHL.tv about 4 years ago. The Rangers were playing in Calgary (I live in Atlanta) and it wasn't considered an out of market game. I lost my ****.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I hate the term cord cutter/cutting. It's false 99.9% of the time. You have Internet, likely from the same company you would get video from. I don't know why but the term just irritates me. This notion of "I've freed myself from the man" is a joke.

Every "cutter" I know uses a log in from someone else to watch things.

Also, get off my lawn

End rant/

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad