Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Yes, they will. If people really think they are only going to pay $1-2 for each channel they want, then they must be smoking something funny. Channels like MSG will likely be $15-20/month. SNY and YES will be the same. Oh, and on top of that they will simply raise the internet rates. People will be paying the same, if not more, but hey at least they aren't paying for channels they do not want.

It really depends on what you watch. This article is a bit dated, but describes the impacts if people only paid for what they watch:

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/06/how-much-would-it-cost-to-get-your-favorite-channels-a-la-carte.html

If you can keep your channel count down to under, say, twelve, and use an antenna for broadcast networks, you might be able to do better than the bundle pricing - but not if you are into sports...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Slingbox is a different animal. No idea on the terms and conditions as I did not care to read them that thoroughly. However, if you think the intent of creating those apps is to let people borrow others credentials, then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

You're only selling half of it? I'll sell him the Manhattan side...

I'd like it painted blue and orange before you deliver it. I don't know what their intent was, but neither hulu or netflix prohibit the sharing of passwords. The fact that they have a limit on the number of concurrent streams that can be increased with a highler monthly fee and allow up to 5 or 6 different profiles without an ip restriction tells me they don't currently have an issue with it. Maybe they'll change it in the future. I'll return the bridge then.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I'd like it painted blue and orange before you deliver it. I don't know what their intent was, but neither hulu or netflix prohibit the sharing of passwords. The fact that they have a limit on the number of concurrent streams that can be increased with a highler monthly fee and allow up to 5 or 6 different profiles without an ip restriction tells me they don't currently have an issue with it. Maybe they'll change it in the future. I'll return the bridge then.

I'll have to eat crow... I was under the impression the topic of discussion was the TV-to-Go apps that are tied to a payTV subscription, and making use of the provider provided apps, like FOXNOW, NBC Sports, MSG Go, etc...

I haven't read all the TOS, but eventually they may pull a Verizon, and cancel your account for repeated use "out of your home area" like they are for many folks in rural areas of the country.

http://stopthecap.com/2017/09/14/ve...ral-purge-tens-thousands-losing-cell-service/

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Cord cutting implies that you erect an antenna, either in your living room or on the roof of your home, to watch the local television broadcasts in your market. (i.e. CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, CW, PBS, and the independents), instead of paying someone to watch this programming.

Many typically subsidize it with a hulu / Netflix / Amazon Video subscription. Newer entrants to the field incluse SlingTV, DirecTV Now, and PS Vue, which are over-the-top IP television solutions. Cord cutters still pay for their internet connections.

yeah, we have an HD antenna with a lifetime service HD Tivo. The kids get PBS Kids which works for them and we get all the basic networks for free. I just stream everything for sports through the internet and for cable shows and movies I just have to download episodes commercial free and pop the USB key in back of the 55" TV, couldn't be easier.

Total price including taxes: $40/month for internet only

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Right, and you believe their intent was for people to share passwords? I doubt it. I'm willing to bet the thinking is if I am home watching, and my wife wants to watch somewhere outside the home, she can do so. Now, they may accept the password sharing as something that is worth ignoring for now. Fear that if you and I agree to share a password and split the cost, it is better than having neither of us willing to pay in full. If their costs start to rise, they will change their tune.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It really depends on what you watch. This article is a bit dated, but describes the impacts if people only paid for what they watch:

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/06/how-much-would-it-cost-to-get-your-favorite-channels-a-la-carte.html

If you can keep your channel count down to under, say, twelve, and use an antenna for broadcast networks, you might be able to do better than the bundle pricing - but not if you are into sports...

Well, since this is a Rangers message board, I was going under the impression that anyone reading my post who lives in the NY Metro area was interested in watching live local sports.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Well, since this is a Rangers message board, I was going under the impression that anyone reading my post who lives in the NY Metro area was interested in watching live local sports.

I remember back in the day when MSG and SportsChannel were a-la-carte and were priced like HBO...

You mentioned the $1 or $2 per channel for what they watch in your post, and we both know that they will likely be paying more..

Sometimes it makes more financial sense to pay for what you don't want in order to get a better price on what you do want...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Right, and you believe their intent was for people to share passwords? I doubt it. I'm willing to bet the thinking is if I am home watching, and my wife wants to watch somewhere outside the home, she can do so. Now, they may accept the password sharing as something that is worth ignoring for now. Fear that if you and I agree to share a password and split the cost, it is better than having neither of us willing to pay in full. If their costs start to rise, they will change their tune.

I have no idea what their intent is and it's not my job to know, only to abide by the terms they set. But the only way you can have concurrent sessions and multiple profiles is to share passwords. There are no restrictions other than a limit to 5 or 6 profiles and however many concurrent sessions you pay for. Will they add restrictions at a later date? Who knows but I can't see that being something they are focused on right now.

kreiderfan20

Sep 1, 2007
Long Island NY
I live on LI and I have Direct TV. I ordered CI and it cost around $160 (don't remember the exact amount) split into 4 equal payments. It also comes with NHL.TV this year (MLB Extra Innings also came with MLB.TV)....as far as blackouts on NHL.TV go, it was explained to me that your billing zip code determines what games are blacked out. So I would not be able to view NYR, NYI, or NJD via NHL.TV, whether I am home in NY or out of town. National games are also blacked out.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I live on LI and I have Direct TV. I ordered CI and it cost around $160 (don't remember the exact amount) split into 4 equal payments. It also comes with NHL.TV this year (MLB Extra Innings also came with MLB.TV)....as far as blackouts on NHL.TV go, it was explained to me that your billing zip code determines what games are blacked out. So I would not be able to view NYR, NYI, or NJD via NHL.TV, whether I am home in NY or out of town. National games are also blacked out.

I had NHL.tv two years ago. (It was called GameCenter, and they switched the name mid-season.) My billing zip code was back in NY, but I was out in the midwest. I got to see any Rangers game that was NOT on NBC, NBCSN, or NHL Network.

You should be able to watch via NHL.tv when you are "out-of-market." I was able to.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
NHL.TV combined with Yonder.TV. Look it up. Total price for both is $200.

Would that even work for "National Games" that are shown on NBC, NBCSN, or NHL Network? I guess it would if you are masked to be out-of-country....

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Is NHL.tv the app that can be watched on Roku? I only have 1 cable box and use the spectrum app via roku on my other tv. The Center Ice package wasn't available in the app. Since I was told it was, last year, I was given a 50% rebate.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I had NHL.tv two years ago. (It was called GameCenter, and they switched the name mid-season.) My billing zip code was back in NY, but I was out in the midwest. I got to see any Rangers game that was NOT on NBC, NBCSN, or NHL Network.

You should be able to watch via NHL.tv when you are "out-of-market." I was able to.

Correct. Nothing to do with billing address, it is your location when you try to watch. So, if you live in NY, but are traveling, you can watch on an app if you are out of the Rangers territory.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I was planning to appeal to MSG/Rangers supreme honcho Jim Dolan about this. Haven't had time to send unsolicited correspondence [he doesn't know me, but I get the feeling a polite request identifying it is in their interest financially will at least get read].

Here are some facts which to my understanding are accurate:
1. First things first: the feed for your wifi from outside. You may have other options with other performance standards. In NYC, you have no choice but cable at least as to connecting even if you ditch the cable box.
In my case I am paying $14.99 only to have a cable feed from Spectrum to my modem, which, since I own it, I am not charged. [The modem, a Netgear 26 combo modem-router, was the highest ranked one by Time Warner Cable 2-3 years ago. It is important to get good throughput, or you get buffering issues. Then it cost around $300/+/-; now you can get it for about a buck fifty. There is a similar better model for a buck eighty. I get this stuff from B&H in Manhattan.]
You pay for the modem once.

2. A device serving as interface to your smart tv and a wireless source for streaming.
There are again options. I went with Amazon's FireTV Stick. This is like a glorified flash drive. You pay like $0 for the smaller size, more for the larger. Amazon does not charge you to my knowledge for anything.

3. You select one or more apps, which have different choices for how much programming you want to access per month. The more quantity you order, more the cost. Sony's PlayStation Vue is great value including Yankees on Yes. Unfortunately, no MSG

Now, I got nothing beyond that 'cause my best bet seems to be NBCSports, which is included in my package. I'd consider the NHL Network by taking another app I can switch to, but not only do I have to buy more than just Ranger games, but those are subject to home team blackout.

Now the reason I illustrated all that was to be clear: I have seen it said on the internet that Amazon makes the code for firestick available to developers for FREE.
That means Dolan can opt for a standalone MSG app [one which also can be interfaced to other connections besides firestick]
AND
he has the option to cut deals with PlayStation, SlingTV, etc.

All of this is on top of the increasingly unpopular, dwindling cable market.

My last bill included MSG but jumped up to 95/month.
Not worth it. Have to make the slime IMO Spectrum made to increasingly bend, buckle and break to the will of the customers who are there to be served.

I now pay like $15 and $50 around $65 w/tax.
$10 direct to MSG for Knicks and Rangers, no prob.
Could do Rangers only for $7-ish.

On paper there is no way they are losing $ by ADDING a growing market to one that is SHRINKING, esp since they don't have to sacrifice one for the other.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I hope to reach out to MSG braintrust about this.

Instead of complaining only, mods, can we make a combo thread,
1- maybe a poll asking Garden to note results of how heavy favored and desired putting a MSG streaming app is, and
2- we can include comments about details we request they consider.

I am too busy to set up/run it, but it seems we are all on the same page here!

Rangerstown, Unite!!

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Anyone else have to deal with this...

I just bought a Sony 4K TV and subscribed tom Nhl.tv but I can't get the TV to accept NhL.com. Anyone got any ideas?

If your smart TV doesn't support the app, buy and install a Roku, and use that as the head end for your apps. I recommend the models which have an ethernet port.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I was planning to appeal to MSG/Rangers supreme honcho Jim Dolan about this. Haven't had time to send unsolicited correspondence [he doesn't know me, but I get the feeling a polite request identifying it is in their interest financially will at least get read].

Here are some facts which to my understanding are accurate:
1. First things first: the feed for your wifi from outside. You may have other options with other performance standards. In NYC, you have no choice but cable at least as to connecting even if you ditch the cable box.
In my case I am paying $14.99 only to have a cable feed from Spectrum to my modem, which, since I own it, I am not charged. [The modem, a Netgear 26 combo modem-router, was the highest ranked one by Time Warner Cable 2-3 years ago. It is important to get good throughput, or you get buffering issues. Then it cost around $300/+/-; now you can get it for about a buck fifty. There is a similar better model for a buck eighty. I get this stuff from B&H in Manhattan.]
You pay for the modem once.

2. A device serving as interface to your smart tv and a wireless source for streaming.
There are again options. I went with Amazon's FireTV Stick. This is like a glorified flash drive. You pay like $0 for the smaller size, more for the larger. Amazon does not charge you to my knowledge for anything.

3. You select one or more apps, which have different choices for how much programming you want to access per month. The more quantity you order, more the cost. Sony's PlayStation Vue is great value including Yankees on Yes. Unfortunately, no MSG

Now, I got nothing beyond that 'cause my best bet seems to be NBCSports, which is included in my package. I'd consider the NHL Network by taking another app I can switch to, but not only do I have to buy more than just Ranger games, but those are subject to home team blackout.

Now the reason I illustrated all that was to be clear: I have seen it said on the internet that Amazon makes the code for firestick available to developers for FREE.
That means Dolan can opt for a standalone MSG app [one which also can be interfaced to other connections besides firestick]
AND
he has the option to cut deals with PlayStation, SlingTV, etc.

All of this is on top of the increasingly unpopular, dwindling cable market.

My last bill included MSG but jumped up to 95/month.
Not worth it. Have to make the slime IMO Spectrum made to increasingly bend, buckle and break to the will of the customers who are there to be served.

I now pay like $15 and $50 around $65 w/tax.
$10 direct to MSG for Knicks and Rangers, no prob.
Could do Rangers only for $7-ish.

On paper there is no way they are losing $ by ADDING a growing market to one that is SHRINKING, esp since they don't have to sacrifice one for the other.

I hope to reach out to MSG braintrust about this.

Instead of complaining only, mods, can we make a combo thread,
1- maybe a poll asking Garden to note results of how heavy favored and desired putting a MSG streaming app is, and
2- we can include comments about details we request they consider.

I am too busy to set up/run it, but it seems we are all on the same page here!

Rangerstown, Unite!!

I am sure that MSG would LOVE to sell you a stand-alone sub for in-market viewing. Alas, the league as a whole probably has the final say on what can be streamed and where.

The Knicks were on MSG-GO long before the Rangers were. This leads me to believe that the league controls streaming rights, and MSG needed to negotiate how to allow streaming to its customers. I am certain that the league will only allow duplicity streaming - meaning you must subscribe to and pay for the linear cable channel before you will be permitted to stream NHL content.

Nobody is going to pay for a stand-alone MSG streaming app if the only thing you can watch on it is endless episodes of "Beginnings" and "Top 50 MSG moments"

I imagine we won't be seeing any change in this until their business models being showing an erosion in revenue, and the model predicts that a stand-alone streaming app will not erode revenue any further.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am sure that MSG would LOVE to sell you a stand-alone sub for in-market viewing. Alas, the league as a whole probably has the final say on what can be streamed and where.

The Knicks were on MSG-GO long before the Rangers were. This leads me to believe that the league controls streaming rights, and MSG needed to negotiate how to allow streaming to its customers. I am certain that the league will only allow duplicity streaming - meaning you must subscribe to and pay for the linear cable channel before you will be permitted to stream NHL content.

Nobody is going to pay for a stand-alone MSG streaming app if the only thing you can watch on it is endless episodes of "Beginnings" and "Top 50 MSG moments"

I imagine we won't be seeing any change in this until their business models being showing an erosion in revenue, and the model predicts that a stand-alone streaming app will not erode revenue any further.

I fear you are right, but hey.
We are the fans.
Without us there is no friggin league
Let the NHL hear from us, let them bend, buckle and break.
PS they would make more $ that way.

Can't wait to get out from under other important stuff to push this.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Wait - this is big news. If you subscribe to Center Ice you get NHL.TV? This wasn't the case in the past.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I had some questions in regards to watching out of state. I think Center Ice seems like the best bet but I've also heard about Slingbox but just had some questions in regards to it...

My parents still live in NY, and they would let me use their cable while as I'm living in Florida so I can watch my sports teams.

How does this work exactly though? My Slingbox would connect to one of the STB back in NY and I would have access to everything my parents do? After my brief research it seems like you're able to access it on devices, and not actually on a TV. But I'm assuming I'd be able to stream from my Slingbox to my MacBook and then my MacBook to my TV, correct? Also, do I need an actual STB from back home? My parents have iO if this at all matters.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I had some questions in regards to watching out of state. I think Center Ice seems like the best bet but I've also heard about Slingbox but just had some questions in regards to it...

My parents still live in NY, and they would let me use their cable while as I'm living in Florida so I can watch my sports teams.

How does this work exactly though? My Slingbox would connect to one of the STB back in NY and I would have access to everything my parents do? After my brief research it seems like you're able to access it on devices, and not actually on a TV. But I'm assuming I'd be able to stream from my Slingbox to my MacBook and then my MacBook to my TV, correct? Also, do I need an actual STB from back home? My parents have iO if this at all matters.

If you hook a sling box to a stb you control it and can watch whatever you'd have access to as if you had the STB (place shifting). You can use the website to watch it from your MacBook. If you want you can connect it to your TV using a cable or you can use airplay if you have an apple TV. If you have an Android or apple phone/tablet you have to buy a separate app (for each) to watch from there.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

You hook up the slingbox to one of their cable boxes, then you can watch on your laptop so long as you have an internet connection. Only caveat is you actually control the cable box, so if someone is watching that tv, you have to watch the same channel. Might want want to get an extra cable box for your parents place and hook it up to that.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I fear you are right, but hey.
We are the fans.
Without us there is no friggin league
Let the NHL hear from us, let them bend, buckle and break.
PS they would make more $ that way.

Remember, it's not just what we pay, it's what other people pay, too. There is a reason that RSN's are bundled on the standard cable tier. Team owners, and RSN owners, realize there is more money to be made by forcing their way on the bundle and getting $5 per month per cable household than charging ten or twenty times that per month to the cable households who want the programming.

On the bundle, MSG has a year long revenue stream. A-la-carte, you'd see everyone subscribing in October, and cancelling in May, hopefully late June. They'd need to charge enough to offset the homes that wouldn't subscribe, but are forced to in a bundle.

MSG is lucky to break a 2 rating for hockey, and if at really only corresponds to 2% of TV households, they'll need 50 x their montly subscriber fee to offset the revenue (assuming almost full penetration of pay TV). Their ad rates will also plummet, as a fraction of their fee is based on how many homes they are view-able in....

So I don't think they'd necessarily make more money.

If there is going to be an a-la-carte version, it's going to be Pay-Per-View...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad