Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I had some questions in regards to watching out of state. I think Center Ice seems like the best bet but I've also heard about Slingbox but just had some questions in regards to it...

My parents still live in NY, and they would let me use their cable while as I'm living in Florida so I can watch my sports teams.

How does this work exactly though? My Slingbox would connect to one of the STB back in NY and I would have access to everything my parents do? After my brief research it seems like you're able to access it on devices, and not actually on a TV. But I'm assuming I'd be able to stream from my Slingbox to my MacBook and then my MacBook to my TV, correct? Also, do I need an actual STB from back home? My parents have iO if this at all matters.

As the others have posted, you will need to buy a sling box. Your parents would need to rent an extra set top box, and pay for internet. You connect the sling box to the new set top box at your parent's home. Your sling box controls the set top box, and you can watch content anywhere via PC. There are obvious ways to cast from your PC / laptop to a TV. I think you can do it with a Roku, too, but you need another device to actually control the sling box. (You cannot control the sling box from teh Roku).

You get NY TV in Florida. Not only good for hockey, but you'll get different football games..

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Bumping this because I too am going to cut the cord.

Is Fubo the only option? Not a huge deal if it is, but $45/month is a tad pricey for the 2-3 channels I would watch.

Also, can anyone report as to the quality of the service? @Blueblood9, did you sign up? What're your thoughts.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Is Fubo the only option? Not a huge deal if it is, but $45/month is a tad pricey for the 2-3 channels I would watch.

Also, can anyone report as to the quality of the service? @Blueblood9, did you sign up? What're your thoughts.

Fubo or DirecTV Now (which is a streaming service and completely separate from regular DirecTV cable) are the only streaming services that offer MSG. So here are your options...

1) Fubo or DirecTV streaming service

2) MSG Go using the cable subscription of a family or friend

3) NHL.TV on top of a VPN service like Nord to change your IP address and bypass blackouts

4) Illegal streaming options. I know of a very reliable one but site rules probably prevent me from putting it here

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I cant believe there's a group of ...us.

Wells Fargo got $1300 back for me from comcast with the charge dispute.

f*** comcast and their over charging!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Fubo or DirecTV Now (which is a streaming service and completely separate from regular DirecTV cable) are the only streaming services that offer MSG. So here are your options...

3) NHL.TV on top of a VPN service like Nord to change your IP address and bypass blackouts

4) Illegal streaming options. I know of a very reliable one but site rules probably prevent me from putting it here
Thanks!

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Just get the lowest package that lets you watch MSG, and in order to not turn your back on the movement, just purchase a 200ft pack coax spindle , and tear a strip apart in defiance.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
so ive been doing some research on these different services because it would definately be cheaper then paying verizon a ransom for both cable and internet. And i found this

fuboTV Adds MSG Networks, Details New Pricing Structure

its 44.99 for the service. For myself if i cancel cable it will still save me 70 bucks a month

Thanks I some how missed this earlier.
How is it? As advertised?
Also, am I missing something?
at their site - yr link - they said

"The official monthly price for Fubo Premier is dropping to $39.99 from the previously announced price of $49.99 per month, and is to be offered to all new subs following the aforementioned two-month promo price.
The price for Fubo Premier in New York state and the NY metro area is $44.99 per month, and includes the MSG and MSG+ regional nets."

I take that to mean it's $44.99.

I see you can't get this w/Playstation Vu, which is a shame, cause while not flawless it is good value for $49.99
[I pay $14.99 to Spectrum for the feed and I have my own cable modem for the wifi.]

Is this directly available on FireStick [which Amazon does not charge me for monthly]?
Couldn't find a clear answer.

If not, what alternative preferably cheap, can I use to connect to the Fubo service?

I would not dismiss Directv Now if unavoidable if that was necessary, but I hate AT&T with a passion.

Dolan would be smarter to just sell his app to us directly.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

DirecTV Now is an app available via Playstation Vu,
but
according to the Playstation Vu site, I am not seeing MSG etc as available stations.

Are you sure they are not blacked out?

Thanks again.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
but
according to the Playstation Vu site, I am not seeing MSG etc as available stations.

Thanks again.

EDIT ADD:
while not downloading this app was able to see if it showed programs, no msg, also about a dozen all negative 1 star reviews, Firestick tv 1st gen not supported, all kinds of headaches.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
but

Thanks again.

Wiki says it's on DirecTV now
MSG Network - Wikipedia

It's a regional network so I don't think it's gonna show up in the general/national list of channels on their service as it depends on your location. I'm sure if you contact support and give them your zip code they could tell you if you'd receive the channel.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wiki says it's on DirecTV now
MSG Network - Wikipedia

It's a regional network so I don't think it's gonna show up in the general/national list of channels on their service as it depends on your location. I'm sure if you contact support and give them your zip code they could tell you if you'd receive the channel.

Thanks for the insight.
I'm generally bullish on Wiki, but it is open to rewrites.
Your last para above has useful insight.
Again, thanks.

However, if anyone else has info that it passed the acid test, and they actually have confirmed experience of it working on second gen or better Firestick, please advise. Also in advance thanks

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

It is as if nobody on here has ever heard of google or the internet.

There was a game last year, I believe it was when they were in Edmonton where the MSG feed was not working. I am in NY, so I could not watch on my NHL.tv roku app. A google search and 7 minutes later I had the game.

In April, wanted to watch the Mets home opener at work. Again, google was magical and i didnt miss a pitch.

Aside from that, if you are new to cord-cutting, there are plenty of cord-cutting websites/message boards and their people love to give info.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I cant believe there's a group of ...us.

Wells Fargo got $1300 back for me from comcast with the charge dispute.

**** comcast and their over charging!
I caught them adding an extra cable adapter on my bill a few years ago. Only a $3 charge, so barely noticeable, but I actually read my bills. Looking at the amount you could just chalk it up to fees being raised or something. They apologized up and down. I'm sure there are plenty of people that this is still happening to without their knowledge.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I caught them adding an extra cable adapter on my bill a few years ago. Only a $3 charge, so barely noticeable, but I actually read my bills. Looking at the amount you could just chalk it up to fees being raised or something. They apologized up and down. I'm sure there are plenty of people that this is still happening to without their knowledge.
The funny thing is I spoke to numerous phone morons, kept telling them to pull up my conversation of when I signed up. Lol they couldnt and we went to Disney World with our free years of cable/internet. Sometimes the little guy gets one.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
feel bad for anyone who has to use comcast without choice. but if you chose them you made your own bed. they are one of the worst companies in any sector

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Wait - this is big news. If you subscribe to Center Ice you get NHL.TV? This wasn't the case in the past.

Yeah, it's been the case for two or three years. Same thing with MLB Extra Innings and MLB.tv.

I've never used it once because any time I'm out, I'm generally not on WiFi and don't want to eat my data.

I have also found the Direct TV app to be generally useless unless there's a pop up thunderstorm. The ONE time I tried to use it outside of my house was at the beach to catch a tail end of a World Cup match. App tells me I'm not on my preferred "network" (my home WiFi), and I'm not allowed to use it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I had NHL.tv two years ago. (It was called GameCenter, and they switched the name mid-season.) My billing zip code was back in NY, but I was out in the midwest. I got to see any Rangers game that was NOT on NBC, NBCSN, or NHL Network.

You should be able to watch via NHL.tv when you are "out-of-market." I was able to.

Couldn't you just get NHL.tv and buy a VPN (or use a free one)? I'm pretty sure that would be a legal method (albeit slightly dishonest), but VPN's are legal to use in the USA and you can find pretty high quality ones for around 10$ a month. I live in Poland right now and use a free VPN and some sites are cracking down on this (for example, I can no longer access US version of Netflix through this), but paid, individual ones should be more effective. I have no idea what NHL.tv does or if they have instituted the technology to identify VPN's.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Couldn't you just get NHL.tv and buy a VPN (or use a free one)? I'm pretty sure that would be a legal method (albeit slightly dishonest), but VPN's are legal to use in the USA and you can find pretty high quality ones for around 10$ a month. I live in Poland right now and use a free VPN and some sites are cracking down on this (for example, I can no longer access US version of Netflix through this), but paid, individual ones should be more effective. I have no idea what NHL.tv does or if they have instituted the technology to identify VPN's.

Naw. The NHL doesn't care about a guy using a VPN so he can watch his team without blackouts, you're good. I've done it before

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
fuboTV is pretty good. Decent quality (720p, comparable to cable broadcast), has MSG Network and you're covered for all major sports/teams

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I subscribe to NHL.com and full access is $139 a season, now there will be blackouts so I have 2 "lifetime"subscriptions for 2 different VPNs. It's $24.99 a month and $109 a season for one particular team. I just started today so I have no real knowledge if it's good or not. I watched 2 games today using my phone and I did use chromcast to watch it on my TV and it was good quality.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I can recommend FuboTV. FuboTV is currently the only over the top streaming provider that can cast the MSG channels. I have it and it's very good, very sports oriented especially for soccer. It integrates with fireTV and a few other streaming devices. Comes with a 7 day free trial if you'd like to see. They also will add channels, they recently added AMC and Cartoon Network to the base package and didn't charge extra.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I can recommend FuboTV. FuboTV is currently the only over the top streaming provider that can cast the MSG channels. I have it and it's very good, very sports oriented especially for soccer. It integrates with fireTV and a few other streaming devices. Comes with a 7 day free trial if you'd like to see. They also will add channels, they recently added AMC and Cartoon Network to the base package and didn't charge extra.

Thanks and that's huge for many.
I have not seen it on my list of available apps.
I'll have to look into it further.

What's the min/base package w/MSG, and how much?
Again, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad