Coping with Covid-19 - Discussion continued as social distancing in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
All true. I'm just saying our leaders next time will overreact before finding this out.

Seems rather presumptuous. The responses to SARS, H1N1, and now Covid-19 seem relatively proportional to the threat, and informed by health professionals. Why do you think that's going to stop in favor of over-reaction?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Ont. and Que could be a week behind BC - or more - but, I think we could be seeing the top of the curve within a week in Ont and Que as well. How fast the curve can come down - I don't know - but, it it's flattened, with small outbreaks (clusters) here and there, slowly, with social distance and hand washing measures enhanced, things can start to get back to WORK.

Now, it could be a false top, but, my take of the numbers and the patterns of daily increase that I've been seeing, made me think, BC could be around the top of the curve. Sure hope so.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Seems rather presumptuous. The responses to SARS, H1N1, and now Covid-19 seem relatively proportional to the threat, and informed by health professionals. Why do you think that's going to stop in favor of over-reaction?

I explained it in my original post. You can agree or disagree but I'm not sure I need to re-post what I already said.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Agreed. Thanks for everything you have been posting. It is refreshing to not be jousting with you over Nylander/Marner but I also can't wait to get back at er

Agreed. When I see Promisedland's avatar my instinctive reaction is "I hate that guy, he's nuts!".

But he's been a real voice of reason on this.

He's not the only one either. I've found a number of posters who's attitudes here I have the opposite reaction to their attitudes about the game. Interesting.

And then there are some guys who remain consistently, um..... whatever.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
anyone doing home or park workouts?
OK, I'll take this "Coping" detour in the spirit of the OP's thread title. When our community center indoor fitness area closed, my wife & I were gonna switch to the simple outdoor resistance equipment adjacent to the playground in the city park immediately behind our house. But then our county instituted stay-at-home restrictions, and that recreation area was roped off to discourage kids & adults from gathering. So we & others (6 feet apart) now take regular walks around the park and neighborhood, and I mix in hand weight workouts to keep some upper body flexibility. It's hell gettin' old, especially now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like they've gotten control of it in BC. If they can do it BC, they can do it everywhere in Canada...

Physical distancing has halved rate of spread of COVID-19 in B.C., official modelling suggests

Was just going to post something similar as this hits close to home for me as a BC resident.

Our Health minister of BC has announced that we are in fact successfully bending/flattening the curve through self isolation, working from home and social distancing.

For 3 consecutive days now the rate of new cases has decreased which means we're trending in the right direction to prevent this pandemic from overflowing our hospital resources.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Was just going to post something similar as this hits close to home for me as a BC resident.

Our Health minister of BC has announced that we are in fact successfully bending/flattening the curve through self isolation, working from home and social distancing.

For 3 consecutive days now the rate of new cases has decreased which means we're trending in the right direction to prevent this pandemic from overflowing our hospital resources.
Are they testing everyone? I doubt it. How many cases are pending? If they are only testing people with very severe symptoms and heath care workers these numbers are far from accurate. Your model is only as good as the data you provide it, and frankly the data that we have for COVID-19 is poor.

But if what they say is actually happening, then that's great. Still a long ways to go though.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
You don't need to "fight" for anyone.

What you (and anyone else feeling the itch for political revolution) need to do is just stay home, relax, find a healthy pastime or two, and get off message boards entirely.

There's a time for BS talk like this and right now isn't it.

Agreed.

I really wasn't hoping for political revolution, but I will heed your advice and next time I tip a few back I won't be jumping on the forum.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That's not the point. You haven't made a point.
Nah, like I said there's a wide chasm of acceptable leadership communication between the two poles that you've set up.

"Think for yourself"

"No not like that, don't judge a man's own words by anything but the lowest of low bars"
Keep listening to the people that made you look silly all you want.
I just suggest you don't :)
If you have issues with Trump that's cool. I'm happy to discuss them. But when you use the same Twitter vid I've seen floating around for a week to articulate that....I know you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The video highlights quotes and a timeline. Let’s not pretend that it’s off the mark.

@4thline has the hammer on the nail here.

Trump has absolutely dismissed the severity of the virus early on and that influenced both policy and public attitudes towards it.

His talk of opening up the USA by Easter is equally socially irresponsible.

He was one of the first to shut down flights to China. They called him racist. Now he's not doing enough?...See how this works?

If he said this is severe and we need to be worried he'd say he's fear-mongering. There's no winning for Trump.

He nailed nothing on the head. He can't even argue his own points. Just another Twitter parrot. Still haven't been taken up on discussing the points one by one :) offer stands for you too. I really do like discussing this stuff. It's the only way we can sift through the mountains of disinformation. We all fall prey to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: theblackadder

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Are they testing everyone? I doubt it. How many cases are pending? If they are only testing people with very severe symptoms and heath care workers these numbers are far from accurate. Your model is only as good as the data you provide it, and frankly the data that we have for COVID-19 is poor.

Why would they test everyone? No country does that, not even South Korea, who have been pretty successful, so, far, (where I live) and who tests a lot.

Fewer people are presenting and fewer people are needed to be tested. Even if a higher number of people are infected than are being reported, we still can ONLY go by people who are presenting.

I think the data is actually pretty good; true we don't know, and probably won't know the ACTUAL TRUE number of infections until they get the antigen test, then, we can sample the population (quite easily) and find out about Herd Immunity - perhaps lots and lots of people have had the virus, and recovered from it already.

But, we won't know that data for a while yet.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He was one of the first to shut down flights to China. They called him racist. Now he's not doing enough?...See how this works?

If he said this is severe and we need to be worried he'd say he's fear-mongering. There's no winning for Trump.

He nailed nothing on the head. He can't even argue his own points. Just another Twitter parrot. Still haven't been taken up on discussing the points one by one :)

The cutting flights to China made sense. He got a lot of flack for cutting flights to Europe and exempting the UK and Ireland originally. As it looked like either racism or profit was the reasoning behind this. Trump's main problem is he has to make himself the center of everything. If he would let the experts talk and just give updates, or share uplifting messages it would be fine, but he can't do that.

Instead he picks fights, says he can fix it, blames Obama, takes no responsibility, gets into fights with Governors who don't show proper fealty, focuses more on getting people back to work then the medical ramifications. The problem isn't that Trump isn't taking this seriously, he is. The problem is that even when he's serious he's still Trump.

Reactions: bikemike66

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

He didn’t shut down flights to China. He banned Chinese from coming to the USA but allowed family of US citizens and US citizens to re-enter at will.

And left the same loophole open when he did the same with Italy... and exempted all of the UK.

Trump could win if he stopped saying he doesn’t take any responsibility for what’s going on.

He talks of a broken system. He had a chance to fix it with control in the house for 2 years and couldn’t get that done.

He nailed nothing on the head. He can't even argue his own points. Just another Twitter parrot. Still haven't been taken up on discussing the points one by one :) offer stands for you too. I really do like discussing this stuff. It's the only way we can sift through the mountains of disinformation. We all fall prey to it.

Happy to discuss as long we discuss his response and not the politics of it. I don’t want a ban as this is an informative thread.

I didn’t see your original post or questions. What’s on your mind?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am not missing the point. I understand 100% the ramifications of what is going on. We have better medicine now. We have more altruistic people that will lend a hand. We have a government who will pitch in.

You can't compare the 20's to today's world. We care if someone loses their life and are not driven by selfish ambitions.

We know that our forefathers faught and died for the freedoms we have and will gladly sacrifice those freedoms to save someone else and honour their memory

Great depression was a completely different beast; this is not like great depression; people who keep bringing it up only show their ineptitude to really understand what is going on.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am not missing the point. I understand 100% the ramifications of what is going on. We have better medicine now. We have more altruistic people that will lend a hand. We have a government who will pitch in.

You can't compare the 20's to today's world. We care if someone loses their life and are not driven by selfish ambitions.

We know that our forefathers faught and died for the freedoms we have and will gladly sacrifice those freedoms to save someone else and honour their memory

Former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke sees 'very sharp' recession, followed by 'fairly quick' rebound

Many economists are predicting it; it is basic economics - this isn't like great depression; the underlying fundamentals surrounding great depression were vastly different; the biggest market loss was during the financial crisis in 2008-2009 since great depression and things rebounded after that too.

This economic BS that some posters here are spewing is basically fear mongering and a significant lack of understanding of Economics

Reactions: Petrus and Jojalu

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So was he racist or not doing enough? :p

Are you really gonna question what the man has gotten done? He has been investigated since the day he stepped in over BS. Do you guys just wanna pretend Mueller didn't happen now?

What he accomplished with literally everyone fighting him is amazing. Saying otherwise is just partisan hackery.

Thought you wanted to discuss things?

The loopholes are real.

But it’s a moot point since travel bans are ineffective in containing the virus. Italy banned ALL travel from China (including Italian citizens)... going further than Trump did and BEFORE he did.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He didn’t shut down flights to China. He banned Chinese from coming to the USA but allowed family of US citizens and US citizens to re-enter at will.

And left the same loophole open when he did the same with Italy... and exempted all of the UK.

Trump could win if he stopped saying he doesn’t take any responsibility for what’s going on.

He talks of a broken system. He had a chance to fix it with control in the house for 2 years and couldn’t get that done.

Happy to discuss as long we discuss his response and not the politics of it. I don’t want a ban as this is an informative thread.

I didn’t see your original post or questions. What’s on your mind?

We're pretty much on the same page Pookie.

Closing flights coming from China has/had pretty much NOTHING to do with preventing or slowing down the spread.

Canada never blocked flights from China, and Asian countries who have, literally, thousands and thousands of people coming in and out of China daily, like, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, etc, etc, the list goes on. Tons of countries, again, including Canada, never blocked flights from China YET, have been able to get control of the virus. WHY, testing testing testing. That's right, Test, Track, Trace.

Plus, blocking flights from China couldn't keep the virus out anyways, because, people just go through other countries to get into the US. How many people crossed every day into the US from Canada, people, who might have come from China, or the thousands of people who just took a flight somewhere else instead of coming directly from China.

Canada just finally shut down travel from EVERYWHERE, including China, and that's good, but, we've been taking in people from China all along, but, we don't have 1/10 (which is about the ratio of our population to the US) of the problem that the US has and is going to have, very sad in the US.

GOD, I wish I was so wrong about this, but, I don't think I am.

Late late late testing, and pretending they didn't have to test, which was the message from POTUS right from the start just set everything off on a disastrous course.

God, I wish I was wrong, but, I don't think I am.

New York, so many people, so many people, are going to die ,
WHY,
WHY
WHY
WHY
NOT ENOUGH PERSONAL PROTECTION EQUIPMENT FOR THE HEALTH CARE WORKERS,
The richest country in the world, suppose to be the GREATEST country in the WORLD.

because they didn't TEST, TRACK, AND TRACE, from the beginning.

All they had to do was

TEST TRACK TRACE

noooo, it's just 10 and it'll go away ......

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Thought you wanted to discuss things?

The loopholes are real.

But it’s a moot point since travel bans are ineffective in containing the virus. Italy banned ALL travel from China (including Italian citizens)... going further than Trump did and BEFORE he did.
That's fair. The reason I brought that up is just to show no matter what he does it'll be bad to some. You're proving my point :) The never-ending negativity over the man just gets to be tiresome. Especially during a time like this.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's fair. The reason I brought that up is just to show no matter what he does it'll be bad to some. You're proving my point :) The never-ending negativity over the man just gets to be tiresome. Especially during a time like this.

I like that he is forcing GM to make ventilators.

However, I think it’s also a fair to ask what took so long? Their own modelling showed that they were woefully unprepared for this. And they knew it was coming.

Anyways, what are the questions you wanted a response to?

Reactions: Its not your fault

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Closing flights coming from China has/had pretty much NOTHING to do with preventing or slowing down the spread.

Canada never blocked flights from China, and Asian countries who have, literally, thousands and thousands of people coming in and out of China daily, like, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, etc, etc, the list goes on. Tons of countries, again, including Canada, never blocked flights from China YET, have been able to get control of the virus. WHY, testing testing testing. That's right, Test, Track, Trace.

Plus, blocking flights from China couldn't keep the virus out anyways, because, people just go through other countries to get into the US. How many people crossed every day into the US from Canada, people, who might have come from China, or the thousands of people who just took a flight somewhere else instead of coming directly from China.

Canada just finally shut down travel from EVERYWHERE, including China, and that's good, but, we've been taking in people from China all along, but, we don't have 1/10 (which is about the ratio of our population to the US) of the problem that the US has and is going to have, very sad in the US.

Late late late testing, and pretending they didn't have to test, which was the message from POTUS right from the start just set everything off on a disastrous course.

WHY,
WHY
WHY
WHY
The richest country in the world, suppose to be the GREATEST country in the WORLD.

All they had to do was

TEST TRACK TRACE

The other thing is that their system is screwed up.

Capitalism works for business. Healthcare is not a business.

You have states bidding against states and FEMA for needed supplies. You have private hospitals looking after their own.

And you have citizens that depend on the labour market for health insurance at a time when the labour market is in crisis mode.

The current admin chanted “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act and even with all three levels of government under the same party couldn’t even agree on what to do.

Thank goodness some Americans do have the ACA to fall back on. This idea of private insurance looks like a horrific model when tested like this.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

WHY,
WHY
WHY
WHY

All they had to do was

TEST TRACK TRACE

Hysterics lol, you know in the US there were already 30,000+ influenza deaths this season, that's before all this. This thing has been going around since OCT/NOV proven by Italy, and there are articles about that. China hid and destroyed test data. Lied about it in January as well. NY has more air traffic than almost anywhere else in the world and you wonder why?

Hilarious post, this ones epic like the rest of the hysterics in here.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Hysterics lol, you know in the US there were already 30,000+ influenza deaths this season, that's before all this. This thing has been going around since OCT/NOV proven by Italy, and there are articles about that. China hid and destroyed test data. Lied about it in January as well. NY has more air traffic than almost anywhere else in the world and you wonder why?

You never addressed ONE single issue or anything I said in my post. NOT ONE.

You just went off on the some other 'conspiratorial' tangent as you normally do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad