Coping with Covid-19 - Discussion continued as social distancing in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My take on Trump handling this pandemic

- Early on he was somewhat slow to take this seriously, downplaying the severity and not getting prepared for a worst-case scenario is showing it's effects now. Inaction on testing and getting prepared for testing was a miss. That being said putting the travel restrictions in place was a solid move.

- Once it dawned on him that this was a serious issue he took some pretty good action in terms of social distancing, working with Canada on border closures and keeping supply chains open, as well as strategizing for aid. The execution on getting testing has been subpar. That in itself has been a big contributions to the spread of the virus.

- Then over the last week and a half he's taken so many steps back and is going the wrong way. I would be terrified if I lived down there. Moving to pull back on social distancing guidelines, wanting to put people back to work before they concretely have this under control, failing to deliver enough aid to the hospitals, toying with putting troops at the Canadian border, going back to downplaying the virus, and attacked political opposition, as well as the media.

Looking at the rate of the spread and his current strategy, he's gone from doing a decent job to an awful job handling this. And it's going to cost lives. You only have to listen to his press conferences to see how incompetent this man is. The last week has seen some epic face palm worthy moments.

My take on trump pre-pandemic when cases were piling up in China: He is a D-bag

My take on trump after WHO declared it a pandemic: He is a bigger D-Bag

My take on trump in the last week: There is no bigger D-bag in the world than him at the moment

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

- Early on he was somewhat slow to take this seriously, downplaying the severity and not getting prepared for a worst-case scenario is showing it's effects now. Inaction on testing and getting prepared for testing was a miss. That being said putting the travel restrictions in place was a solid move.

- Once it dawned on him that this was a serious issue he took some pretty good action in terms of social distancing, working with Canada on border closures and keeping supply chains open, as well as strategizing for aid. The execution on getting testing has been subpar. That in itself has been a big contributions to the spread of the virus.

- Then over the last week and a half he's taken so many steps back and is going the wrong way. I would be terrified if I lived down there. Moving to pull back on social distancing guidelines, wanting to put people back to work before they concretely have this under control, failing to deliver enough aid to the hospitals, toying with putting troops at the Canadian border, going back to downplaying the virus, and attacked political opposition, as well as the media.

Looking at the rate of the spread and his current strategy, he's gone from doing a decent job to an awful job handling this. And it's going to cost lives. You only have to listen to his press conferences to see how incompetent this man is. The last week has seen some epic face palm worthy moments.

I agree with this assessment, I worry his love of strong stock market numbers will make this much, much worse.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Was watching today. They asked how many are in hospital and in what situation...

We don't have that data.

Are you taking off the numbers of recovered people in the official start.

No.

I think BC said they had 40 in hospital or on ventilator. No data on how old and pre consisting condition. You know a lot of old folks get pneumonias every year. I want to see all the data after this whole show is over.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree with this assessment, I worry his love of strong stock market numbers will make this much, much worse.

He seems to understand finance and human nature, both of which need to be taken into account in the decision making process

The US is spending Trillions right now trying to prop up the economy, that isn't sustainable, hell I'm not even sure it's going to be effective

Then you have the public side of things, how long do you think you can realistically run a "quarantine by concent" before the people revolt?

I don't envy any world leader these types of decisions but it's a far harder equation to calculate than a lot of people seem to either understand or appreciate

Reactions: Jojalu

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Agree with most of what you said. On the bolded text, I would say that there were a number of people/officials pushing earlier for the DPA to be enacted to get a more urgent & coordinated approach to sourcing and distributing ventilators and other necessary equipment.

I'll get back to my diet of this specific board/thread, so sorry in advance if I don't reply.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
some of the discussion here reminds me of the video i watched on YouTube; especially the train in the tunnel thought experiment (starts at around 3:30)

The third kind (i.e. out to lunch kind) does not require any explanations they are self evident

Last edited:

ronzigato

Jan 5, 2006
Ontario
I've been immersed in work and family for a few days, so not sure if this has been discussed.

Back in mid December, one of my close friends came back from a year touring China. I went to his house, he came up and visited me and my family. Anyway, January sucked for us. My five year old son was out of school for two weeks with bronchitis that had him requiring his asthma meds around the clock. My seven year old daughter spent seven days out of school with a fever that meds could barely break. I got my ass kicked, spent weeks suffering exhaustion, a cough, sniffles, and my wife got hit too.

It's possible we had bad flu, but we don't usually get sick, and definitely not to the degree we all got it in January. I'm just pondering the possibility that my good buddy brought something unintended back with him.

If Italy believes it was around in Nov/Dec, I see no reason it couldn't have been here nearly as long..

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
That's the head of the CDC. Top credibility you can get.
CDC says stay in for 14 days.... So yah they said its the worst thing on the medical sector in 100 years. Do those a favour to because they don't need to be dealing with a car crash victim that wanted 6 Mcnuggets.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
While anything is possible. If both famil
I've been immersed in work and family for a few days, so not sure if this has been discussed.

Back in mid December, one of my close friends came back from a year touring China. I went to his house, he came up and visited me and my family. Anyway, January sucked for us. My five year old son was out of school for two weeks with bronchitis that had him requiring his asthma meds around the clock. My seven year old daughter spent seven days out of school with a fever that meds could barely break. I got my ass kicked, spent weeks suffering exhaustion, a cough, sniffles, and my wife got hit too.

It's possible we had bad flu, but we don't usually get sick, and definitely not to the degree we all got it in January. I'm just pondering the possibility that my good buddy brought something unintended back with him.

If Italy believes it was around in Nov/Dec, I see no reason it couldn't have been here nearly as long..

If you all had it in December I suspect there would be a huge cluster of cases and it wouldn't just be breaking out now. We would literally be Italy

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
CDC rumored to be close to recommending masks for daily life. Just like Asian countries did from the beginning and as Asians do when sick.

So much for they don't work and last 5 mins which was obviously bs.

Never heard of a surgeon changing one every 5 mins during surgery.

I guess hang on to those masks if you didn't donate them

ronzigato

Jan 5, 2006
Ontario
While anything is possible. If both famil

If you all had it in December I suspect there would be a huge cluster of cases and it wouldn't just be breaking out now. We would literally be Italy

Wouldn't be so sure about that. If Italy had it in November, what does that make Italy now?

Do you think they identified the first carriers out of China?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I know just before Christmas and well into January, many people experienced the”90-day cough” they just couldn’t shake. Fever for days, chills, nastiest cough ever, lethargic and wiped for three/four weeks. Doctors just handing out prescriptions like candy. I was wondering if it was perhaps the a Coronavirus considering the symptoms and travel was completely open then. Only thing is it wasn’t spread rapidly as it is now, nor had the mortality rate. But I did think the same.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Because your post is nonsense and I did address why NY has the most cases. Italy detected the virus OCT / NOV it was already out and the Chinese Narratives are proven BS already. Why would I bother when your whole post basically is just anti Trump hysterics. Did you see the Cuomo left ventilators in a warehouse, incompetence at its best.

Are you being serious right now or are you latched on to some stampede devoid of common sense and analytics. Give it some thought. Posting links to articles with Scholars is not conspiratorial tangent lol.

I don't believe that for a bit. If the virus was already out there in Oct/Nov...we would be where we are now 2 months ago.

Reactions: Jojalu

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't believe that for a bit. If the virus was already out there in Oct/Nov...we would be where we are now 2 months ago.
they say the first case was discover in China in Nov, i believe ... not that china gov is trusting

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I know just before Christmas and well into January, many people experienced the”90-day cough” they just couldn’t shake. Fever for days, chills, nastiest cough ever, lethargic and wiped for three/four weeks. Doctors just handing out prescriptions like candy. I was wondering if it was perhaps the a Coronavirus considering the symptoms and travel was completely open then. Only thing is it wasn’t spread rapidly as it is now, nor had the mortality rate. But I did think the same.

I was pretty sick with flu like symptoms, deep pain in the lungs, bad cough, a fever, runny nose and sneezing the week before the Christmas week, and was still recovering with light coughing when I went back to work...I have a family, we are close, and they didn't pick up anything from me...neither did colleagues at work. I didn't need any prescription medication...I only took some immune system booster tablets you could buy at the herbal store and my daily multiple vitamin supplements...it ain't no corona virus...most likely the flu...the flu mutates quite frequently every year, and it's impact on the body could be hard at times. The corona virus is highly contagious compared to the flu.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
they say the first case was discover in China in Nov, i believe ... not that china gov is trusting

I doubt that...it's not like the first case would be an isolated case and well contained...with the highly contagiousness of the corona virus, the population density in China and the amount of global travel, the pandemic would have started months earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->