Coping with Covid-19 - Discussion continued as social distancing in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I was pretty sick with flu like symptoms, deep pain in the lungs, bad cough, a fever, runny nose and sneezing the week before the Christmas week, and was still recovering with light coughing when I went back to work...I have a family, we are close, and they didn't pick up anything from me...neither did colleagues at work. I didn't need any prescription medication...I only took some immune system booster tablets you could buy at the herbal store and my daily multiple vitamin supplements...it ain't no corona virus...most likely the flu...the flu mutates quite frequently every year, and it's impact on the body could be hard at times. The corona virus is highly contagious compared to the flu.

Yeah, I most definitely agree. Just suggesting the symptoms were similar. Similarly, I think if someone spikes a fever these days for a day or two, they shouldn’t necessarily think it is the Coronavirus, even though they will.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Nowhere in the article do I see October or November. I wouldn't call the dates from Dec 10 to Dec 27 a cover-up...looks like they were still trying to identify what the heck they were dealing with...but shutting up that doctor on Dec 30 was definitely atrocious and a terrible look...China reported it to the WHO on Dec 31. It's easy to look back in hindsight and pick everything apart, but let this be a learning experience for all countries. Even the WHO didn't sound the alarm bells and call it a pandemic until pretty recently.

Reactions: Popeye7735

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Nowhere in the article do I see October or November. I wouldn't call the dates from Dec 10 to Dec 27 a cover-up...looks like they were still trying to identify what the heck they were dealing with...but shutting up that doctor on Dec 30 was definitely atrocious and a terrible look...China reported it to the WHO on Dec 31. It's easy to look back in hindsight and pick everything apart, but let this be a learning experience for all countries. Even the WHO didn't sound the alarm bells and call it a pandemic until pretty recently.
First Covid-19 case happened in November, China government records show - report | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

"The data obtained by the Post, which the Guardian has not been able to verify..."

"Official statements by the Chinese government to the World Health Organisation reported that the first confirmed case had been diagnosed on 8 December."

So what to believe? I think the world situation is not consistent with some of claims that it was discovered a month or 2 earlier (ie. Oct/Nov)...the pandemic would have occurred sooner if infections and spread occurred earlier.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wouldn't be so sure about that. If Italy had it in November, what does that make Italy now?

Do you think they identified the first carriers out of China?
Italy never had it in Nov/Dec, their head health official only mentioned, there were cases of unspecified flus. The fact that it didn’t spread out in Italy till a month ago, I highly doubted those cases in Nov/Dec were COVID 19.
Same with your situation. The fact that it didn’t spread out like it is now shows it probably was just a bad flu.
I think the difference between COVID 19 and other flus is how contiguous COVID 19 is for everyone. A carrier of this virus might never be hit with it but can spread it to others.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Wuhan just let all their people out of their homes for the first time in 2 months...the venue they kept closed are the movie theatres to avoid a potential second wave...so 15 to 40 times worse than reported is a ridiculous speculation.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Wuhan just let all their people out of their homes for the first time in 2 months...the venue they kept closed are the movie theatres to avoid a potential second wave...so 15 to 40 times worse than reported is a ridiculous speculation.
i have no idea of whats really going on in china, i dont trust Gov in China with giving legit info

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
i have no idea of whats really going on in china, i dont trust Gov in China with giving legit info

China reported about 80,000 cases...and most of them are from Wuhan...but they locked down that city and associated province very quickly to limit spread of the virus...15 to 40 times that amount is 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...there is no way China could contain that many infections and lift the lock-down in 2 months with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...and considering how contagious this virus is, 1.2 to 3.2 million cases would escalate extremely quickly to 10's of millions...it would be total anarchy...New York has more than half of the 121,000 cases in the US and look how badly they are struggling with the situation...can't imagine dealing with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...it would be almost impossible to contain.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
China reported about 80,000 cases...and most of them are from Wuhan...15 to 40 times that amount is 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...there is no way China could contain that many infections and lift the lock-down in 2 months with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...and considering how contagious this virus is, 1.2 to 3.2 million cases would escalate extremely quickly to 10's of millions...it would be total anarchy...New York has more than half of the 121,000 cases in the US and look how badly they are struggling with the situation...can't imagine dealing with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...it would be almost impossible to contain.

no idea whats legit when it comes to china .... hopefully all the countries of the world sue china once this is over with, I believe Trump is already looking into that

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
China reported about 80,000 cases...and most of them are from Wuhan...but they locked down that city and associated province very quickly to limit spread of the virus...15 to 40 times that amount is 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...there is no way China could contain that many infections and lift the lock-down in 2 months with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...and considering how contagious this virus is, 1.2 to 3.2 million cases would escalate extremely quickly to 10's of millions...it would be total anarchy...New York has more than half of the 121,000 cases in the US and look how badly they are struggling with the situation...can't imagine dealing with 1.2 to 3.2 million cases...it would be almost impossible to contain.

do you actually believe china is even testing people in those cities for the virus? they basically put everyone in a room and locked the door and waited ...

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I've been immersed in work and family for a few days, so not sure if this has been discussed.

Back in mid December, one of my close friends came back from a year touring China. I went to his house, he came up and visited me and my family. Anyway, January sucked for us. My five year old son was out of school for two weeks with bronchitis that had him requiring his asthma meds around the clock. My seven year old daughter spent seven days out of school with a fever that meds could barely break. I got my ass kicked, spent weeks suffering exhaustion, a cough, sniffles, and my wife got hit too.

It's possible we had bad flu, but we don't usually get sick, and definitely not to the degree we all got it in January. I'm just pondering the possibility that my good buddy brought something unintended back with him.

If Italy believes it was around in Nov/Dec, I see no reason it couldn't have been here nearly as long..

I've stated we had similar go through our family early January. I only recently realized an employee of mine went to visit family in China for 2 weeks in December. I knew he was off for two weeks but I had forgotten he went to China since this wasn't even on our radar at the time. Really makes one wonder.

Reactions: ronzigato

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I know just before Christmas and well into January, many people experienced the”90-day cough” they just couldn’t shake. Fever for days, chills, nastiest cough ever, lethargic and wiped for three/four weeks. Doctors just handing out prescriptions like candy. I was wondering if it was perhaps the a Coronavirus considering the symptoms and travel was completely open then. Only thing is it wasn’t spread rapidly as it is now, nor had the mortality rate. But I did think the same.

This is exactly what I had.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I was pretty sick with flu like symptoms, deep pain in the lungs, bad cough, a fever, runny nose and sneezing the week before the Christmas week, and was still recovering with light coughing when I went back to work...I have a family, we are close, and they didn't pick up anything from me...neither did colleagues at work. I didn't need any prescription medication...I only took some immune system booster tablets you could buy at the herbal store and my daily multiple vitamin supplements...it ain't no corona virus...most likely the flu...the flu mutates quite frequently every year, and it's impact on the body could be hard at times. The corona virus is highly contagious compared to the flu.

You may well be right as also am unaware of anyone I infected with whatever I had.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Beautiful weather this afternoon

people will be filling the streets... book it

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad