Coping with Covid-19 - Discussion continued as social distancing in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Stop, please just stop. Just because they have people that have it does not mean they are all on ventilators. They are counting people with mild symptoms and are at home that's over 80% of that 4000 are at home getting better but it takes a while. It's just not the same and they can double the ventilators like in the states by splitting the hose in two. More are on the way as well.

take your own advice and stop spewing BS in this thread including tin foil conspiracy theories

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He could act like a President and not a petulant little child king to start. He can’t take any criticism and said that he’ll play nice if they do. That’s not his bloody job, he’s supposed to look after the entire population not just those who show the proper fealty.

For example despite it hurting him politically, Trudeau still bought a pipeline because it was the right choice, even if benefited a province who overwhelming didn’t back him in the last election. That’s leadership.

What the hell was that first paragraph? The media attacks him and he attacks the media, just like every other day since he's been in office

Please, your talking about a ******* pipeline in comparison to a worldwide pandemic that has resulted in a close on worldwide lockdown of entire populations and a forced stop of the world's economy

You want to know what leadership looks like? Try calming you entire population as they face a pandemic the likes of which we haven't seen in decades, perhaps a century with limited knowledge of the virus and global supply chains

Your PM faced that, My PM faced that, Trump faced that, All our world leaders are facing that

Reactions: Jojalu

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
take your own advice and stop spewing BS in this thread including tin foil conspiracy theories

No conspiracy theory about this... You get caught up in what happens next and you will pray for Covid19 and I am not joking. Chaos is moves more quickly than a virus and it can be far more deadly if the cities start burning.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I’m not going to pretend that I know anything about the economy but giving everyone EI while they still complain they can’t afford their bills makes no sense to my uneducated self. Suspend all bills by paying these companies directly, not the people, and give food vouchers to the people. Spend all the money on producing items we need and bonuses for front line workers.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No conspiracy theory about this... You get caught up in what happens next and you will pray for Covid19 and I am not joking. Chaos is moves more quickly than a virus and it can be far more deadly if the cities start burning.

This is such a massive f***ING misrepresentation. The same twitter handle shows that cops from different cities got into the fight before people got pissed and got involved.

I am gooing to stop responding to you; am getting too old to invest my time in BS

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is such a massive f***ING misrepresentation. The same twitter handle shows that cops from different cities got into the fight before people got pissed and got involved.

I am gooing to stop responding to you; am getting too old to invest my time in BS

Are you actually claiming deep fake on videos right now? You know that China's economy was collapsing before this virus right? You know Hong Kong was in the Streets and Taiwan were heavily protesting right before. You do know the US just sent a Battleship between Taiwan and China the other day. The people are not happy and this is stage 1. You know these things evolve pretty quickly right. Eventually it's considered a colour revolution. How do you think Egypt happened? It all comes down to GOV overstepping and the people saying, that's it. No more, my life is not worth living and so I am hitting the street. If you don't think 30% of the Canadian population or US population losing their lifestyle would trigger the same, you're wrong.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Stop, please just stop. Just because they have people that have it does not mean they are all on ventilators. They are counting people with mild symptoms and are at home that's over 80% of that 4000 are at home getting better but it takes a while. It's just not the same and they can double the ventilators like in the states by splitting the hose in two. More are on the way as well.
Denial is a river in Egypt to you or what. You should just stop minimizing.

Reactions: Petrus
Sep 18, 2009
What the hell was that first paragraph? The media attacks him and he attacks the media, just like every other day since he's been in office

Please, your talking about a ******* pipeline in comparison to a worldwide pandemic that has resulted in a close on worldwide lockdown of entire populations and a forced stop of the world's economy

You want to know what leadership looks like? Try calming you entire population as they face a pandemic the likes of which we haven't seen in decades, perhaps a century with limited knowledge of the virus and global supply chains

Your PM faced that, My PM faced that, Trump faced that, All our world leaders are facing that
No clue what you are talking about
Some countries know what they are doing and some don't
The numbers will show it

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I want all that data, can't find any of it. Not available unless you count random doctors or people saying oh it's not as bad as we thought. It's a bad flu etc. No doubt it's killing sick and elderly people very efficiently which is awful but, without the proper data we have no idea if 4000 cases in Canada is terrible or not. I mean, if it's 4000 cases with 1% in Hospital, that's not so bad. If it's 20% of them in hospital, we have another beast on our hands.

Hospitalization rate according to the British study is 4.4% for those showing symptoms. There is data from China that show 50% who have the virus are asymptomatic. Lets assume for a moment that Canada has 100% of the 30 million population are infected by the disease. Half or 15 million would be symptomatic and 660,000 (at 4.4%) would require hospitalization. We do not have enough hospital beds in this country manage this level of infection (estimated hospital beds across the country is 2.0 per 1,000 people or ~60,000 beds).

Our policy of social distancing and self isolation is not designed to stop the spread but to slow it down sufficiently that we do not overwhelm our hospitals and health care workers.

The spread of this virus is inevitable. We just need to slow it down enough so we can treat all that are sick. We do not want a situation such as Italy where people are dying at rate of 600-700 per day because they just do not have the capacity to treat everyone.

Sep 18, 2009
Hospitalization rate according to the British study is 4.4% for those showing symptoms. There is data from China that show 50% who have the virus are asymptomatic. Lets assume for a moment that Canada has 100% of the 30 million population are infected by the disease. Half or 15 million would be symptomatic and 660,000 (at 4.4%) would require hospitalization. We do not have enough hospital beds in this country manage this level of infection (estimated hospital beds across the country is 2.0 per 1,000 people or ~60,000 beds).

Our policy of social distancing and self isolation is not designed to stop the spread but to slow it down sufficiently that we do not overwhelm our hospitals and health care workers.

The spread of this virus is inevitable. We just need to slow it down enough so we can treat all that are sick. We do not want a situation such as Italy where people are dying at rate of 600-700 per day because they just do not have the capacity to treat everyone.
No such thing as "data from China"

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
My internet has been down all week due to an upstream signal issue. Rogers has stopped allowing technicians into customer homes as of Wednesday.

From their website:

We know that there is a lot of uncertainty in your daily life right now. One of the things you don’t have to worry about is staying connected.

After calling them, the Rogers rep informed me they'll try to fix it from outside, but if they can't, I'm SOL until technicians are allowed back in.

Ah, Rogers being Rogers. f*** me for having to work from home right? Not like internet is an essential service or anything.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
always with the cute videos of edited clips. Sigh. This is a context-free zone people! I'd happily discuss each quote with you.
You can keep citing people that make you look silly all you want. I'm just advising you don't :) It hasn't gone well for you. I'm here to help

Yeaaahh, don't see what help I can get from someone that doesn't see a middle ground between"making people freak out" and contributing to situation's severity through negligent dismissal.

That kinda wide gap is is where a leader is expected to operate.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No clue what you are talking about
Some countries know what they are doing and some don't
The numbers will show it

Population density, familial connection

Those are just a couple of factors that can be beyond governmental control that can affect the pandemic severity and it's spread

You binary between competent and incompetent is dumb and makes no sense, most governments are a mixture of both

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Yeaaahh, don't see what help I can get from someone that doesn't see a middle ground between"making people freak out" and contributing to situation's severity through negligent dismissal.

That kinda wide gap is is where a leader is expected to operate.
The point is it doesn't matter what he says you'll complain. Using Twitter vids to argue your position just proves you have no clue. Again...I'm happy to go point by point with you. But that would require you to go further into a conversation than drive-by sweeping baseless statements.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The sad thing about this whole thing to me is how so many don't listen. They keep telling everyone to stay home and go out only if necessary. Thanks to people not listening they have closed all the parks in my area as well as the Bruce trail. ☹️

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He's doing the most painfully boring briefings with his experts every day, he's shut down the nation's borders and instituted a lockdown of 330+ million people, then moved industrial capacity to producing goods that help fight the virus

His approval ratings are climbing so the American public don't seem to be unhappy with his job performance or how seriously he's taking this crisis

I can't believe I have to continually defend the guy, I don't have to like him to know he's in a God awful situation nobody could have seen coming, just like every other world leader over the last few months
Trump has not locked down 330 million people. About half the country has been locked down by individual governors. The Canada-US border closure was precipitated by Canada.
And Trump's approval has gone up a little bit as it always does for a President in times of national strife.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The point is it doesn't matter what he says you'll complain.

That's not the point. You haven't made a point.
Nah, like I said there's a wide chasm of acceptable leadership communication between the two poles that you've set up.

"Think for yourself"

"No not like that, don't judge a man's own words by anything but the lowest of low bars"

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Chinese statistics are fabricated

giphy.gif

Reactions: Maple Leaf

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Trump has not locked down 330 million people. About half the country has been locked down by individual governors. The Canada-US border closure was precipitated by Canada.
And Trump's approval has gone up a little bit as it always does for a President in times of national strife.

That is how the US system works in times of crisis, a separation of powers between the feds, states and localities

So your PM shut the boarder first? Is competence measured by how fast leaders instated tougher boarder controls because Trump did that with China really early on, got called racist for it obviously but he did

It's risen, a majority of the US population thinks he's doing a reasonable job combating the pandemic, I'd describe it as muddling through like most other countries and governments

Nothing more nothing less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad