News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Our two best players are Stone and Duchene.

Both are having career seasons.

We are in last place.

Exactly how are we going to compete next year?

I don't know. The Oilers and Stars probably have the same questions. The whole team needs to be better.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Our two best players are Stone and Duchene.

Both are having career seasons.

We are in last place.

Exactly how are we going to compete next year?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah that is a pipedream.....Love to see a real coach though

That's how we improve. That combined with internal growth from our young players (Jaros, Lajoie, DeMelo, White, Tkachuk, Balcers) and the addition of some good prospects in place of the Smiths and Boros (Wolanin, Batherson, Brown, Chlapik).

We really need to improve our RD but I don't think the talent level is that far off being able to compete for the playoffs. Without Stone and Duchene and if Boucher returns though.. oy vey.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
lol Eklund at it again, still insisting everything is actually great between Ottawa and Duchene and that he'll sign any minute now (with Stone right behind).

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So they will both be traded??

Yes and this time, unlike with Karlsson, it will be despite our best efforts. Sort if like with Alfie.

Alfie leaving was when everything went to ****. Yes I know he woudn't have made a difference in terms of on-ice but that was when fans started doubting Melnyk and that trust has only eroded further.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yes and this time, unlike with Karlsson, it will be despite our best efforts. Sort if like with Alfie.

Alfie leaving was when everything went to ****. Yes I know he woudn't have made a difference but that was when fans started doubting Melnyk and that trust has only eroded further
Yep about when I started to think a little more about why the team was making stupid deals....It always hinged around money,BM was better at hiding the worst of EM ...But without that muzzle EM is allowed to go to new depths of crazy

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yep about when I started to think a little more about why the team was making stupid deals....It always hinged around money,BM was better at hiding the worst of EM ...But without that muzzle EM is allowed to go to new depths of crazy

I have a hard time believing we still have Murray bashers (not that he was perfect) now that we all see how unhinged and ruthless his boss was and still is.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have a hard time believing we still have Murray bashers (not that he was perfect) now that we all see how unhinged and ruthless his boss was and still is.
Yep,I liked BM and never hid that...But I started to question some of his moves,and then I looked and thought deeper about ,it was and always has been EM stealing from the team... And forcing the GM into cant win scenarios,by nerfing the budget to stupidly low levels

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still think BM is helping the team....Now it is public how much a tool our owner is and has been ,it was the only way we can unite to take down this douchebag....

Reactions: Sensung

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Despite still receiving an NHL paycheque for another season after this one, Clarkson is currently coaching a High School hockey team in Ohio.

... You thinking he's a natural replacement for Boucher? :laugh:

So you're telling me there's a guy out there who can help us hit the cap floor and coach us while already being on the books? Please don't let anyone let EM see this :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't know. The Oilers and Stars probably have the same questions. The whole team needs to be better.

I'm almost thinking....if we're going to be a budget team forever, perhaps the best thing is to focus on '2nd tiers'. As in, try to build two second lines, and hopefully two third lines. No real stars, but good depth and a reasonable chance to get some points production from all four lines. It's not a Cup-winning combination by any means, but it would be reasonably competitive and a good development group for the kids, while we wait for a new owner.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm almost thinking....if we're going to be a budget team forever, perhaps the best thing is to focus on '2nd tiers'. As in, try to build two second lines, and hopefully two third lines. No real stars, but good depth and a reasonable chance to get some points production from all four lines. It's not a Cup-winning combination by any means, but it would be reasonably competitive and a good development group for the kids, while we wait for a new owner.
So status quo ???lol

Reactions: billpo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think if we're forever a low budget team, then the strategy needs to be treating it as a never ending rebuild cycle. Essentially a couple golden rules with no exceptions allowed under any circumstances.

-Never, ever trade a draft pick unless it's for a young, cost controlled player.
-Plan to trade everyone that ever plays for the team and do it entirely based on contract demand projections. Do it pro actively when value isn't low like we're seeing now due to contract pressure points.
-Scour the ufa market every single year for one year flippable players at the deadline. Always flip them, no exceptions.
-Invest more in scouting, management and coaching

Wouldn't get sustained success year in year out, but its the only idea I can see possibly working for a team spending 2/3's of the cap without flexibility.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Friedman says Ottawa will let all teams know 10 days before the deadline if Stone, Duchene and Dzingel are available.

So, 15 of february is a day this board go nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad