News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
I'm almost thinking....if we're going to be a budget team forever, perhaps the best thing is to focus on '2nd tiers'. As in, try to build two second lines, and hopefully two third lines. No real stars, but good depth and a reasonable chance to get some points production from all four lines. It's not a Cup-winning combination by any means, but it would be reasonably competitive and a good development group for the kids, while we wait for a new owner.
Why not we move to the AHL, with that proposal..why have a team??

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Our two best players are Stone and Duchene.

Both are having career seasons.

We are in last place.

Exactly how are we going to compete next year?

Best coaching staff available (as long as they don't fix this, you could have the best roster possible and they would still fail)

Better goaltending from day 1. Having Nilsson all season could have changed a lot of things. Too much reliance on 37 y/o Andy. No reliable back-up is an automatic recipe for failure in the NHL.

More experience and deeper defense. More experience for Chabot, Jaros, Lajoie, Wolanin, DeMelo. Trade Ceci (and Dzingel?) and use assets to get a real 1st pairing D-man (but you could maybe still let pairings like that, Hamilton would get a lot of PP and PK).

Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin-Hamilton
Lajoie-Jaros
Boro

Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Balcers could be great additions of speed and skill, could have a really good/deep forward group.

No idea what will be done, but yes they could turn things around rather quickly. But need to invest serious money to do it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

They should and likely do know the ufa players intents on re-signing imo, as none are signed today trades should already have started being explored and the market should have been notified. Of course the smart play would have been to sort it out in the off season or even earlier but I digress.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They should and likely do know the ufa players intents on re-signing imo, as none are signed today trades should already have started being explored and the market should have been notified. Of course the smart play would have been to sort it out in the off season or even earlier but I digress.
The smart play, once the decision to engage in a financially motivated firesale was made last Feb, was to move EK and Hoffman at the deadline last year, give Colorado the pick last year, and move all the UFA’s for this year last summer.

Instead, we chose to lie and try to sell tickets.

Reactions: FlyingJ

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I dont want to take the risk of him maybe signing again in the summer, I want that windbag melnyk to start putting his non existent money where his mouth is and making them both offers that allow our two best players to stay now. Period.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I’m sure they’ve had the montage videos all ready to go, in the event someone was dealt to Winnipeg before Saturday’s game lol.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Screenshot_20190211-125814~2.png

If the team is trying to lay the groundwork for a Duchene exit, they sure are doing a piss poor job at it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is today the day?

The probability is that the day for signing the UFAs will not come. The omen for that was not signing them when they became eligible months ago. The recent Melnyk comments to corporate sponsors in Toronto is hanging over the team like a dark cloud because there is no mention of spending now!

The storm is coming!

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Why? It kinda explains why Duchene is going to be traded to Nashville. If they can get a 1st and Tolvanen plus a smaller asset, maybe we could survive that.

Centers next year would be Tierney, White, Pageau and Brown.

I guess so. It just seems weird that Duchene continues to be so prominent in Ottawa's marketing materials, radio spots, social media etc. when the team was doing its best to pretend Karlsson didn't exist when he was in the same situation.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Instagram

Well it’s official he’s staying

What is it? Don't have Instagram, of course.

I guess so. It just seems weird that Duchene continues to be so prominent in Ottawa's marketing materials, radio spots, social media etc. when the team was doing its best to pretend Karlsson didn't exist when he was in the same situation.

Yeah but I don't think we can relate different situation about different people. In the end, I really think Melnyk and Karlsson couldn't work together anymore and judging by how Melnyk behaves, we surely can't blame Erik for that. I think he really wanted to stay but not under Melnyk, a group (involving Alfie) tried to buy the team (reported 600 M$ offer) but it didn't work so EK didn't even answer the (Melnyk) contract offer.

We don't really know what is Stone and Duchene relation with Melnyk, but chances are they don't see eye to eye with him as well, but maybe not.

We are about to discover anyway lol

Reactions: Silencio

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

I know what you mean, but it was the summer with Karlsson, it was easier to ignore it because everyone had better shit to do with their time in the summer.

In the depths of winter in boring ass February, there is no hiding this story.

Reactions: Silencio

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
The probability is that the day for signing the UFAs will not come. The omen for that was not signing them when they became eligible months ago. The recent Melnyk comments to corporate sponsors in Toronto is hanging over the team like a dark cloud because there is no mention of spending now!

The storm is coming!
Damn just when I was starting to feel good about everything

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Nah. If the Sens front office know one thing, it's to bury bad news closer to the weekend. They aren't starting the news cycle with this :laugh:
That makes tons of sense if the news is indeed bad. However I don't think I can wait another f***ing day to find out what's happening. Huge first world problem I know...

Reactions: gab6511

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Sure and, EK is going to come back too...this never happens, when do players come back in the off season? I can think of one recently but vaguely so it wasn't anyone as prominent as Duchene.

It was Vanek if i'm not mistaken.
He was trade by the Wings and sign with them again.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That makes tons of sense if the news is indeed bad. However I don't think I can wait another ****ing day to find out what's happening. Huge first world problem I know...
Could see the team trying to shove some news out there on the day of the big storm (Wednesday), most people will be distracted, so makes sense and totally fits they way they do things. I would say Tuesday, but there is a home game, having the UFAs there will help sell more tickets than if they were traded that day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad