News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Actually, if the sens do decide to move on, now is the time to spend big on a marquee coach. If you're going to be a cap floor team (as the COO suggests), then spending a few million on a top notch coaching staff to teach the young players is a positive story line and something to sell. It would also be logical which is why I'm afraid that it won't happen in Ottawa.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
You don’t see it happen with big name players who can probably command the entire market. Who knows what Duchene is thinking and as exciting as it would be, I wouldn’t take the risk

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have no expectations for our guys to re-sign, I think it's like a 1/1000 type scenario.

The conspiracy theorist in me would go as far as to suggest this was a little play by the media who so loves Ottawa to fail, in a tactic to slightly lower the price by suggesting there is more likelihood he wouldn't re-sign with his new team. This of course could and is likely due to internal incompetence but it seems anytime in the past we had a seemingly valuable asset for trade, inevitably all the issues are exposed, discussed daily and openly in the media 2 months out.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
The conspiracy theorist in me would go as far as to suggest this was a little play by the media who so loves Ottawa to fail, in a tactic to slightly lower the price by suggesting there is more likelihood he wouldn't re-sign with his new team. This of course could and is likely due to internal incompetence but it seems anytime in the past we had a seemingly valuable asset for trade, inevitably all the issues are exposed, discussed daily and openly in the media 2 months out.
Why would the media try to sabotage the sens? What's their beef with them?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why would the media try to sabotage the sens? What's their beef with them?

Zero factual confirmation, simply a conspiracy theory that's mostly joking. The basis for it would be the few media folks coming out on the record or off of it stating they dislike Ottawa in general and team. Add in the Toronto NHL media center and Government of Canada factor, not many outside our city look fondly on it imo.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
It’s just disappointing that none of them are signed yet. I thought for sure at least one of our free agents would be signed by now.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
It’s just disappointing that none of them are signed yet. I thought for sure at least one of our free agents would be signed by now.
i somehow think that they either both go, or they both stay...right now I'm leaning towards both going.
I really don't think it has to do with money(though it wouldn't surprise me). I think players have no faith in this ownership/management/coaching staff.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
i somehow think that they either both go, or they both stay...right now I'm leaning towards both going.
I really don't think it has to do with money(though it wouldn't surprise me). I think players have no faith in this ownership/management/coaching staff.

Both? don’t forget about Dzingel

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
You don’t see it happen with big name players who can probably command the entire market. Who knows what Duchene is thinking and as exciting as it would be, I wouldn’t take the risk

Duchene is mentally fragile (see his country performances, a man in full control does not need to do this, he just walks around town all Smoove B and people know it) so I see him re-signing here. Stone is cock of the walk, doubt he wants to come back. We'll see.

Probably going to the game tonight, the snow thing is pure bullshit, not a snowflake out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->