News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We'd need Batherson to break out and white/tkachuk to have great 2nd seasons.

All that could be feasible but the defense is the major catastrophe here, alongside question marks on defense. If we retain both, we're looking at maybe competing for playoffs in 2 years to give a shot for Lafrerniere to get here and pray Docker makes impact in his rookie year + Brown/Batherson/Chlapik graduation.

In truth we just need to make solid headway next season, not be competitive.

The kids will still need to develop, and some will have sophomore slumps, but if we’re moving in the right direction things should be fine. This is a couple year progression to be a playoff bubble team consistently I’d think.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I wonder how bad Dorion is gonna f*** everything up - his trade deadline interview included

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yea I don't see this team competing for anything other than outside of a bottom 5 finish next year even with all the UFA's retained.

Coaching is a bit of a wildcard though. There are teams doing more with less (okay, maybe not less, but more with a roughly comparable rosters) so maybe bringing in a fresh voice will change things for the better.

We'd still have to retain the UFA's (and probably make a play for a better goaltender) but if all goes right this could be a bubble team next year. Do I expect everything to go right? Of course not. But playing devil's advocate, a coaching change could/would lead to some form of improvement next year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I would personally be cautious about putting much stock in the results of this internet poll. I mean a bunch of nerdy and angry hockey fans (us) overwhelmingly choose angry poll option, to the surprise of no one. It can be fun to do, but let’s try and remember that opinions based on pure speculation don’t become facts just because you want them to. These polls should come with the label: for entertainment purposes only...

I’d suggest not doing any gloating or high fiving at all until after the trade deadline.

If the team is able to sign our guys it will look more like 69 of us were just angry and wrong.
Once again you choose to dismiss all opinions that differ from yours as emotionally based, while smugly attempting to stake out the “calm, rational guy” position.

Did it ever occur to you that 69 of your fellow Sens fans have examined the team’s actions over the last 18 months and come to this obvious and logical conclusion?

Do you really think that all 69 fans are “nerdy and angry”, unable to separate logic from their emotions and think clearly?

Sorry mate, your schtick is getting really old. Perhaps consider presenting some evidence to counter the positions you disagree with instead of dismissing/providing your amateur psychoanalysis of your fellow posters.

If the team once again changes course and starts to spend, then I’m sure your fellow posters will adjust their thinking accordingly. Until then, the verdict is clear.

We are in the midst of a financially motivated firesale (FMF) and not a rebuild.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I would personally be cautious about putting much stock in the results of this internet poll. I mean a bunch of nerdy and angry hockey fans (us) overwhelmingly choose angry poll option, to the surprise of no one. It can be fun to do, but let’s try and remember that opinions based on pure speculation don’t become facts just because you want them to. These polls should come with the label: for entertainment purposes only...

I’d suggest not doing any gloating or high fiving at all until after the trade deadline.

If the team is able to sign our guys it will look more like 69 of us were just angry and wrong.
How about this poll??

Are the Senators out of touch with their fan base? | CBC Sports

Over 8000 respondents. Are they all nerdy and angry?

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Once again you choose to dismiss all opinions that differ from yours as emotionally based, while smugly attempting to stake out the “calm, rational guy” position.

Did it ever occur to you that 69 of your fellow Sens fans have examined the team’s actions over the last 18 months and come to this obvious and logical conclusion?

Do you really think that all 69 fans are “nerdy and angry”, unable to separate logic from their emotions and think clearly?

Sorry mate, your schtick is getting really old. Perhaps consider presenting some evidence to counter the positions you disagree with instead of dismissing/providing your amateur psychoanalysis of your fellow posters.

If the team once again changes course and starts to spend, then I’m sure your fellow posters will adjust their thinking accordingly. Until then, the verdict is clear.

We are in the midst of a financially motivated firesale (FMF) and not a rebuild.

Lol.... Running for office I see

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

There’s not a lot of separating logic from emotions around these parts.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Mic Drop
Domination
Mortal Combat "Finish Him"

Reactions: topshelf15

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well, it's D-day.

If Duchene isn't signed by the time we play our game on Saturday, it's over.

Feb 8-10th weekend is upon us. We should start to hear some pieces from Garrioch fed by the Sens.

Reactions: DJB

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, it's D-day.

If Duchene isn't signed by the time we play our game on Saturday, it's over.

Feb 8-10th weekend is upon us. We should start to hear some pieces from Garrioch fed by the Sens.

We should be nearing the deadline but I have my doubts Dorion actually set a hard one.

This franchise is scrambling every single time anything happens, they are run like a government department: desperately understaffed and most of the people who are there are not qualified to do what they are paid to do. A dangerous mix and one that is very difficult to get out of.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
During the 2nd intermission of the Ducks game, Duchene said he would just focus on enjoying his time here. Sounds like someone who's not expecting to stay.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Undecided ... Still ... I don't buy it .. He's pushing the pebble down the road.. putting it in Dorion's hands... Lucky us

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If Duchene and stone still don't know if they want to stay then trade them

Jesus it isn't that hard they don't want to be here

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
for everyone's sanity...One way or the other, I just hope this is all over sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad