Rumor: Contract talks between Gallagher and the Habs break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You have no clue. Zero. I get it that there is no confirmation from anyone that he is available, but to come here and say unequivocally that he is not available is just stupid, unless of course you are M. Bergevin?
Take Care.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He wants to get a big pay raise and 7 mil is the highest I would go. Next year, Allen is off the books and Alzner counts less than 2 mil on the cap, so its doable. Tatar is likely gone which saves another 4.88 mil on the cap. Danault at 4.5 -5 mil is more than fair and Armia likely gets less than 3 mil. KK is the big one here, do you bridge or give him McDavid dollars.

Depends on how his year goes, but anything over $6M would surprise me (in a good way as it would mean KK played to that standard). Personally, I think a bridge is likely.

And we'll probably re-sign Gallagher for 4-5 years at about $6M-$7M. That, or let him walk in free agency, graduate Caufield, and sign another free agent ala Toffoli.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhouse

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
He wants to get a big pay raise and 7 mil is the highest I would go. Next year, Allen is off the books and Alzner counts less than 2 mil on the cap, so its doable. Tatar is likely gone which saves another 4.88 mil on the cap. Danault at 4.5 -5 mil is more than fair and Armia likely gets less than 3 mil. KK is the big one here, do you bridge or give him McDavid dollars.

maybe it's not the big pay raise he's concerned with and it's the term

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
maybe it's not the big pay raise he's concerned with and it's the term
His body won't hold up and the max he can get is 8 years under the new rules, 5 years is more than fair and it brings him to free agency again at age 33-34. It won't be better for him if he gets those 8 years because he's likely finished at age 37-38 considering retirement is 2-3 years away. If his body fails him, he will be looking for a job for 1 mil elsewhere anyways at 37. Not many teams take a chance on him, he's no Joe Thornton or Kovalchuk who were constant 70+ point guys/season. He's not exactly physical either to use as a bottom pairing guy. He's at his prime and Anderson is 2 yrs younger.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
It isn't really just "reports" when the agent comes out and says talks have broken off. Clearly the team and the player are not on the same page at this time.
Bergevin had always said. Signing contracts isnt hard. They both want different things. I wouldnt be surprised if bergevin wasnt impressed with Gally in the buble. He was awful, and hes definitely not carrying line

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Go for nothing? What player on the Habs went for nothing? I think you have teams mixed up.
Didn't Krug just go for nothing.:laugh:

Yes he did and now with Pasternak and Marchand down with injuries along with no Krug to QB the league's best power play things get very interesting. Boston easily drops to 3rd in the division possibly farther depending on how well both Montreal and Buffalo's changes work out.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Bergevin had always said. Signing contracts isnt hard. They both want different things. I wouldnt be surprised if bergevin wasnt impressed with Gally in the buble. He was awful, and hes definitely not carrying line
MB said only a week ago Gally will be the Habs highest paid forward.

member 328930

I'm okay with 7×5 honestly similar to the patches contract.

Holy - that's what it's going to take to get Gallagher? $7M now for a 20/30 goal 40/50 point guy? I'd rather have Toffoli at $4.25M You get a bit more bite with Brendan but that's going to cost you $2.75M more?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Holy - that's what it's going to take to get Gallagher? $7M now for a 20/30 goal 40/50 point guy? I'd rather have Toffoli at $4.25M You get a bit more bite with Brendan but that's going to cost you $2.75M more?

he matches up against top lines. Toffoli won't do that

Anderson might tho

Reactions: Roadhouse

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
so if Habs are in playoff contention you trade gallagher for futures? doubt that would sit well with the vets in the midst of a playoff push. i agree if they are completely out of the picture, otherwise it could get messy playing in the final year of his contract

He signed his six year deal coming out of his ELC. If it was a 4 year deal, and he was 26, I'd be inclined to say, "here's a blank cheque, fill out the amount and will make it for 7-8 years."

He's 28. He scores goals, but doesn't really create offense for line mates. He's going to start wearing down sooner than later. If he wants a max year deal and $7 million per, I trade him regardless of the standings. I'd have strongly considered trading him already. While I'd rather someone else take the risk on a 7x7 deal he would likely get in free agency, there's no doubt he has considerable value. It wouldn't have to be 'futures'.

There would be a line of teams if he hit the market, and there's no reason to think the central piece couldn't be someone either ready to step in now or has a year of impactful play under their belt. What that central piece is would dictate what else comes in the deal.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

In the last full season 18-19, Gallagher was 22nd for all RW, 3rd for all RW in even strength points. He's a top player in his position during the season. However compared to Toffoli by career? Pretty close to the same except in even strength.

In the playoffs his points are identical for his career to Toffoli, albeit 5 less games.

There's more to hockey than just stat gazing but it should give people pause to paying Gallagher a premium and losing depth in a different position.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Get outta here with the talks have broken down!

He will sign a 4 or 5 year deal for 6.25 to 6.5 million.

Click bait crap is all it is.

Last edited:

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
To the people in in this thread mentioning Caufield like he's ready to take Gally's spot on the RW... y'all need to stop.

Caufield may be 2-3 years away from the NHL.

member 328930

Get outta here with the talks have broken down!

He will sign a 4 or 5 year deal for 6.25 to 6.5 million.

Click ate crap is all it is.

the rumour came out of Vancouver. Gallagher’s agent using some radio guys in VCR to put some pressure on Bergevin.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It was pretty obvious after the Anderson signing that Gallagher would likely be traded. Toffoli pretty muched confirmed it. You have Anderson, Toffoli, Armia, Caufield and Ylonen coming soon, Kids to pay very soon ( Kotkaniemi, Suzuki) they won’t come cheap.
It’s gonna hurt to lose Gallagher, but sometimes it’s inevitable. We got younger, little bigger. Gallagher would be missed but could also bring a very nice prospect.

only concern is when they could possibly trade him, if they make the playoffs they will want to keep him will lose him for nothing. It’s if we miss the playoffs that things become interesting. Every contender would be able to fit him.

Hmm no lol
There was nothing obvious about that, and I doubt Gallagher gets traded.

Reactions: 70Stang

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
philly fan! lol ;)

That's better my friend. All I know is we have been knocking you out of the playoffs for over 20 years. Always good times going to Le Cage Au Sport before the games and then Dunn's over on Metcalfe St. for the after the game celebration as we cream you again. ;)
Use to go for breakfast at Cosmo's the next day but they closed down a couple of years ago now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad