Rumor: Contract talks between Gallagher and the Habs break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
If Anderson got 5.5M then Gallagher can demand 7.5M+ based on what he brings to that team. Such a dumb contract by Bergevin. He at least should’ve made it a one or two year “prove it” deal.

And then he's a UFA and can leave lol. I agree it's a bad deal, but a 1 or 2 year deal could have been even worse.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
tumblr_ptiohpFnBk1w4diwfo2_500.gifv

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If Anderson got 5.5M then Gallagher can demand 7.5M+ based on what he brings to that team. Such a dumb contract by Bergevin. He at least should’ve made it a one or two year “prove it” deal.

It's a risky deal but Bergevin didn't exactly have many options. Anderson was a year from UFA and reportedly informed the Habs he was only taking 1 year or 7.

Reactions: Nitram27 and NitroF

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, we keep getting told by the HF hive mind that there are no such things as "hurt feelings" in locker rooms. They are millionaires and will get over it. Once you step foot on the ice all ill will dissipates about dumb *** contracts your GM gives to unproven players who scored one (ONE!) goal the previous season. It's all good. Gallagher, one of the true warriors in this game will get over it.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Well, we keep getting told by the HF hive mind that there are no such things as "hurt feelings" in locker rooms. They are millionaires and will get over it. Once you step foot on the ice all ill will dissipates about dumb *** contracts your GM gives to unproven players who scored one (ONE!) goal the previous season. It's all good. Gallagher, one of the true warriors in this game will get over it.

...and also brings in right hand shot Toffoli into the top 9.

Suddenly Gallagher, with prior injuries to both his hands, looks like he's 3RW ahead of just Joel Armia (who on some nights transforms into a 1/2RW for a period and a half).

He might be legit pissed.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty ironic how a guy nicknamed Bargain Bin went out and blew his load on contracts that now look inflated, given the benefit of hindsight.

Perhaps the plan all along was to replace Gallagher with Anderson, but I find that hard to believe. Bergevin backed himself into a corner by signing that Anderson deal before locking down Gallagher.

Reactions: kevrondl

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
I don't know where to stand with this one. Brendan is a heart and soul player who is part of the core of the team. He deserves every penny he will get for his next contract. But, he is not getting any younger and I don't know how long his body can take the kind of punishment he takes in order to be successful. A long term contract in the 5-6 year @ 6.5 Mil is what I think he deserves but I don't know if that is a smart investment considering the depth at RW and Caufield in the pipeline for the Habs. If I was Bergy now would be the time I would trade him for something I need, like a RD, but I am not even sure what his value is to be honest. Could he fetch a good return?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Montreal is a team that struggles to finish and Gallagher is by far their best goal scorer. IMO walking away from him would be a mistake.

The thing is, he has been quoted a few times as saying he'd take less to be part of a winner. Maybe he wasn't even approached with a serious offer until now.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Montreal is a team that struggles to finish and Gallagher is by far their best goal scorer. IMO walking away from him would be a mistake.

Not to mention his leadership qualities, I’d take him on the Flames in a heartbeat. Absolute warrior and one of my favourite players since the world juniors a while back.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He's pissed because the team brought in some other players? I doubt it. He may very well change his contract demands, but what does he actually have to be pissed about? Competing? yeah no.

I'm okay with this development. If Toffoli and Anderson are looking solid early on, we have the luxury of trading Gally if we are looking like crap again. It would hurt to lose him, but the return would be excellent. If all three are lights out and Gally is the star again, well then we can sign him in the off-season and make the necessary moves we need to keep him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

In the past sure

But their 2 best players in the playoffs were Kotka& Suzuki and top prospect is goal scoring Rw.
Add Toffoli and Anderson

They aren’t desperate to give an anchor contract to Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad