OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Also yeah masters of the air is not good. It's accurate but there was not given enough time to get to know or care about the people.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's very.... American.

I don't understand the attempt at undermining Bomber Command and portraying the RAF as a bunch of silly stereotypes.

It's not as bad as BoB for that Market Garden Sherman tank scene though. That was just comical.

You can boo me now, if you want.

It’s an unfortunate weakness that some Americans have to reduce anything British to a lowest common denominator stereotype. As if all of the UK is some sort of pastiche of Monty Python and the worst moments of Michael Caine with perhaps some bland food thrown in. I myself would never indulge in such behavior.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Also, don't get me wrong on this.

Dunkirk committed the same sins, though to not such an extent. Nolan committed 30 seconds to the French Armies sacrifice in the evacuation effort.

Tarantino had the best take on WW2 in the modern era. Yes, it's completely fictional, but he nailed all the portrayals.

British intelligence, German ruthless efficiency, French subterfuge and American might.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
It’s an unfortunate weakness that some Americans have to reduce anything British to a lowest common denominator stereotype. As if all of the UK is some sort of pastiche of Monty Python and the worst moments of Michael Caine with perhaps some bland food thrown in. I myself would never indulge in such behavior.

To be fair, we do bloody well love some beige food. Plus we do have some silly accents don't we?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
It's very.... American.

I don't understand the attempt at undermining Bomber Command and portraying the RAF as a bunch of silly stereotypes.

It's not as bad as BoB for that Market Garden Sherman tank scene though. That was just comical.

You can boo me now, if you want.

It's unfortunate given how other classic movies portrayed how well the UK efforts aided the ally missions like the Longest Day.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Most modern movies about ww2 are freaking bad and pathetic. No matter where they were made.
Its a big thing here. As a younger boy, I watched tonns of chronically cinema, watched books from different countries and even chatted with veterans. From everything I heard and saw in the eyes, from everything I didn't heard because they didn't want to answer for some question. It should be represented differently.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
My guess is True Detective Season 1 was great because of Cary Fukunaga. He mellowed out the melodrama inherent to the Nic’s writing. He’s a very underrated director. For me, every other season has been bad or boring and missing the magic. A real shame since I love Jodie Foster and Maharshala Ali.

Apart from Scavenger’s Reign, new TV has been pretty bad. Hard for me to find anything lately.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My guess is True Detective Season 1 was great because of Cary Fukunaga. He mellowed out the melodrama inherent to the Nic’s writing. He’s a very underrated director. For me, every other season has been bad or boring and missing the magic. A real shame since I love Jodie Foster and Maharshala Ali.

Apart from Scavenger’s Reign, new TV has been pretty bad. Hard for me to find anything lately.

Sci-Fi/Horror are difficult to make work. The fantastic elements are usually ham handed or cheesy. The current season of True Detective ranges from good to ok in my view depending upon what you want out of it. I agree it has a Thing vibe on some level maybe a bit more of an early X-Files vibe, but they haven't really gone into the callbacks yet to season one which will ultimately determine if this works or not.

Reactions: Oneiro

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

If this has any of the Create A Team stuff the old ones used to have I may have a new addiction when this comes out. And I haven't played a football video game in years.

Reactions: My3Sons

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

Cary was really the MVP. as were the actors, they killed it. Wife and I are hate watching season 4 at this point but just started season 1 again…its so goddamn good.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Watched BURNT with Bradley Cooper the other night. Man what a letdown. Just shallow and not realistic at all imo. I guess if you haven't heard or seen any other chef shows/movies where they detail how a kitchen runs you might enjoy it just for the dramatic value but it was 94 minutes I want back.

IMDB gave it 6.6 rating which is about 1.6 higher than I'd expect.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Is it out yet?

I saw it last night. I think they were doing one showing on each IMAX screen or something like that and then wide release Thursday/Friday. I lucked out big time. I only found out about it 90 minutes before showtime. The only seats open were some in the front row which f*** that but also 2 in the 2nd last row and everything else was sold out

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not sure if there are any Twenty One Pilots fans on this board (guessing probably not, as it seems like most people's music taste here is classic rock or metal), but man I am excited for their upcoming album. Not just for the music, but also completing a 4 album long, complex storyline.

I grew up in the 80's/90's and was a massive grunge fan which fortunately saved me from hair metal which has not aged well. For the longest time, Nine Inch Nails were my favorite band and I still like a lot of their stuff.

I didn't really know of Twenty One Pilots when they were at their peak of popularity around 2015 or so as I haven't listened to regular radio in probably 2 decades - having switched to XM Radio and then Spotify. Really got into them a few years back though and eventually learned about their "lore", which is a storyline that will come to a conclusion with their upcoming album/videos. The 4-minute video below that they released a few days ago sums up much of the storyline, though you can go down rabbit holes for hours on the details of this storyline and clues that they've (often cryptically) released to fans over the years.

Anyway, curious to hear if any other bands have done something along these lines? I know bands have had concept albums before, but haven't heard of an ongoing storyline to this extent played out over a series of albums.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have to give part 1 another shot. I turned it off halfway through cause I was so bored. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I like a lot of the actors in these movies so just need to give it another chance.

I was hooked from the start. I immediately went and read it after watching Part 1

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2