OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If you’ve never seen IT Crowd, I think that’s a great scripted Comedy.

For more recent stuff, Only Murderers in the Building, The Rehearsal, and The Afterparty.

The Afterparty may actually be my favorite. It’s a mystery murder whodunit that is also a fast paced comedy where each episode is told from a different characters perspective. The genre of each episode matches that characters persona. So one episode may lampoon action movies and then next poke fun at 80s teen comedies.

IT Crowd is great, but it’s almost 15 years old at this point. Still incredibly funny, just some of the references are dated.

It’s also a British show, so there’s only like 20 episodes total over 4 seasons. Still excellent, but you could easily rip through it in 3 days before you know it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

For more recent stuff, Only Murderers in the Building, The Rehearsal, and The Afterparty.

The Afterparty may actually be my favorite. It’s a mystery murder whodunit that is also a fast paced comedy where each episode is told from a different characters perspective. The genre of each episode matches that characters persona. So one episode may lampoon action movies and then next poke fun at 80s teen comedies.

If you like whodunit mysteries read 'The Hunting Party' by Lucy Foley. It's very much in the vain of Agatha Christie.

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
It looks like I'm behind based upon the number of reviews on Amazon, but started this a few days ago based upon a recommendation from a work colleague. He said it "ruined all other fantasy series" for him because it's so good.

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1)​

Reactions: Devils731

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It looks like I'm behind based upon the number of reviews on Amazon, but started this a few days ago based upon a recommendation from a work colleague. He said it "ruined all other fantasy series" for him because it's so good.

I love Sanderson but I’ve started and put the book down 3 times. Mistborn series and Elantris were both favorites of mine.

It’s not that I haven’t enjoyed it but it’s dense in the beginning and I’ve been busy with 2 young kids. I do look forward to getting back and reading it fully.

My favorite fantasy book of the last bunch of years was “Name of the Wind”; if you haven’t read it and read through all of Sanderson’s big book list. :lol:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Brandon sanderson is the best fantasy author of our time by far. He is really amazing. I do recommend reading his mistborn series before The way of Kings, but you dont have to though.

Reactions: denverdevil

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Tried watching Rebel Moon but gave up about an hour in with Snyder's f***ing obsession with slo-mo. It basically felt like a SyFy ripoff of Star Wars with better special effects than those movies typically have. And the riding the flying beast was basically How To Train Your Dragon.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Tried watching Rebel Moon but gave up about an hour in with Snyder's f***ing obsession with slo-mo. It basically felt like a SyFy ripoff of Star Wars with better special effects than those movies typically have. And the riding the flying beast was basically How To Train Your Dragon.
I thought it was pretty looking but yeah it just stole everything for its story and it wasn't good . If your turn your brain off it is enjoyable

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I thought it was pretty looking but yeah it just stole everything for its story and it wasn't good . If your turn your brain off it is enjoyable
Snyder has become very much like Michael Bay to me. He makes visually good looking movies (although his tend to be darker) but you need to turn your brain off to enjoy them. Maybe I've just seen too many of those types of movies lately for me to do it for this one.

I might give his directors cut a shot whenever it comes out, although honestly just make a complete effing movie for once. When you're basically lampooning the movie you just released and saying there's a completely different version that they didn't let you make, it doesn't exactly speak well of the film.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Equalizer 3 was piss poor if I'm being honest. Just as trite and overworked plot as there's ever been. The budget was all location shooting certainly not much put into effects aside from makeup. YAWN.

Retired badass does a favor, gets wounded, locals help, man heals, locals in crisis, badass steps up, locals rejoice, badass stays and finds a home.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Equalizer 3 was piss poor if I'm being honest. Just as trite and overworked plot as there's ever been. The budget was all location shooting certainly not much put into effects aside from makeup. YAWN.

Retired badass does a favor, gets wounded, locals help, man heals, locals in crisis, badass steps up, locals rejoice, badass stays and finds a home.
That sounds like a number of spaghetti westerns.

Reactions: Guadana and Oneiro

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
That sounds like a number of spaghetti westerns.
and an oscar winner

1704823927579.jpeg

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.

Loved the IT Crowd, rewatched it a few times. The Rehearsal and The Afterparty are not my cups of tea. I don’t find Nathan Fielder nor Tiffany Haddish funny or particularly clever in any way. But thank you for the recs.

Giving Unstable on Netflix a try. Not earth shattering but it’s a watch. Finished Berlin and For All Mankind and love(d) both.

Watched Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny and thought it was well done for having an 80yo Ford reprising his character. Definitely better than Crystal Skull.

Silicon Valley is exceptionally funny if you haven't seen it yet.

Monarch Legacy of Monsters starts out really strong the first 2 ep then slows significantly. Still good but just not the same as out of the gate.
Loved SV and watched it as it came out but I keep thinking it’s not a show I’d rewatch.

Reactions: Guadana

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Loved the IT Crowd, rewatched it a few times. The Rehearsal and The Afterparty are not my cups of tea. I don’t find Nathan Fielder nor Tiffany Haddish funny or particularly clever in any way. But thank you for the recs.

Giving Unstable on Netflix a try. Not earth shattering but it’s a watch. Finished Berlin and For All Mankind and love(d) both.

Watched Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny and thought it was well done for having an 80yo Ford reprising his character. Definitely better than Crystal Skull.

Loved SV and watched it as it came out but I keep thinking it’s not a show I’d rewatch.
I’ve yet to watch any of the Money Heist shows. I see Berlin is a prequel but wanted to ask if it was ok to watch that 1st or will
I be missing storyline?

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I’ve yet to watch any of the Money Heist shows. I see Berlin is a prequel but wanted to ask if it was ok to watch that 1st or will
I be missing storyline?

You can totally watch it as a stand alone or before Money Heist. Except for a brief mention of the ”heist” in the first 5min of episode one and some small Easter eggs/character appearances, there’s no connection or spoilers.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Debating watching it. Now I ask you, can I watch it without watching the Cruise movies?
Oh absolutely. They aren’t connected to the movies at all besides being the same source material. I haven’t read the books but everything I hear is that this portrayal of Reacher is closer to the books than Tom’s. The main actor kills it (pun intended). Everyone has their own tastes but the first 2 seasons of this show have been one of my wife and my favorite shows over the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad