OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Been having a ton of fun with Unicorn Overlord the past few days. Bit of a silly name but it's a cool strategy game

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We finally got around to starting Letterkenny. Hilarious, even if the early episodes are probably weirder than later ones.

I know there's a big contingent of Shoresy fans here, we'll have to follow up with that after we run through these.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Been reading this
IMG_4019.jpeg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Random episode of House MD

On a slightly unrelated note, I was channel surfing ~2005 and caught some random network show. Right before the credits hit, she was watching a Devils game and then picked up a guitar. I could never figure out which show it was and I had spent more time than I'd like to admit looking up old schedules.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One thing I enjoy explaining to my younger friends is how SNL seemed very vulnerable in 1995 and that the other networks launched competing sketch comedy shows. Fox got the most traction with MadTV. CBS called up The State from MTV for one poorly advertised episode; I loved The State and had no idea they were airing on CBS until a classmate asked me the next day if I had seen it.

ABC had the Dana Carvey Show which featured unknown versions of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert as cast members and Robert Smigel, Louis CK, among others as writers.

I stumbled on this Hulu doc about the failure of the show last night and learned some new things. I had assumed it was a late night show like MadTV, but ABC put it on right after Home Improvement which was one of the top shows at the time.

The staff fully conceded that they had a bad misunderstanding of the audience they were supposed to carry over from Home Improvement. Show only lasted eight episodes with the last one not even being aired. They ended up recycling one of the unaired sketches for Carvey to use when he hosted SNL a few months later.

One thing that made so much more sense now was that the Ambiguously Gay Duo started on the Carvey show with Colbert/Carell providing the voices. Smigel got rehired at SNL and brought the cartoon over and Colbert/Carell continued to do the voices despite never being cast members.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
One thing I enjoy explaining to my younger friends is how SNL seemed very vulnerable in 1995 and that the other networks launched competing sketch comedy shows. Fox got the most traction with MadTV. CBS called up The State from MTV for one poorly advertised episode; I loved The State and had no idea they were airing on CBS until a classmate asked me the next day if I had seen it.

ABC had the Dana Carvey Show which featured unknown versions of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert as cast members and Robert Smigel, Louis CK, among others as writers.

I stumbled on this Hulu doc about the failure of the show last night and learned some new things. I had assumed it was a late night show like MadTV, but ABC put it on right after Home Improvement which was one of the top shows at the time.

The staff fully conceded that they had a bad misunderstanding of the audience they were supposed to carry over from Home Improvement. Show only lasted eight episodes with the last one not even being aired. They ended up recycling one of the unaired sketches for Carvey to use when he hosted SNL a few months later.

One thing that made so much more sense now was that the Ambiguously Gay Duo started on the Carvey show with Colbert/Carell providing the voices. Smigel got rehired at SNL and brought the cartoon over and Colbert/Carell continued to do the voices despite never being cast members.

Literally LOLd when they showed the commercial for Home Improvement and then coming up next….

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Literally LOLd when they showed the commercial for Home Improvement and then coming up next….

I did too, I was finishing it last night close to midnight. I definitely went to sleep in a better mood than usual. I've been sharing that clip with friends today.

anyone check out x-men 97? have heard good things

I watched the first episode last night and I thought it was fine. I didn't watch the original as a kid (rewatched the first couple seasons as an adult), so the nostalgia factor didn't quite hit me like it might for others.

Reactions: youryeah

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Shogun is very good but I got sidetracked finally watching Fargo. I don't know why it took me so long to finally watch it, considering like pretty much every actor in it is somebody I like. Just started season 3 and I'm planning on going through the rest of the series this weekend so I can go back and catch up on Shotgun (assuming I don't get sidetracked by something else).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Roadhouse

C-

Watched it for the nostalgia. Would have little to no interest if not for leads Jake Gyllenhaal and Daniela Melchior. Some of the support actors did more negative than positive in their roles.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Huge fan of the original. It was basically the biggest cartoon of my childhood (90s child
For sure).

Loved the first 2 episodes. Just like the original but with updated graphics and better fight scenes.

I thought pretty much everything was better than the original (besides Rogue's aged voice). Dialogue still had the classic 90s cheese but I thought it was better, the score was better, the composition of the shots was better, I thought Storm and especially Cyclops got done dirty in the OG series and are a lot better here.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Roadhouse

C-

Watched it for the nostalgia. Would have little to no interest if not for leads Jake Gyllenhaal and Daniela Melchior. Some of the support actors did more negative than positive in their roles.
Best review I saw was "If you're considering watching the new Road House, the best advice I can give you is start out by first watching the original then go to bed. :laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Best review I saw was "If you're considering watching the new Road House, the best advice I can give you is start out by first watching the original then go to bed. :laugh:
It’s one of those movies that as the days have gone by since watching it, my score is getting worse and worse. My wife said she liked it but I have a sneaky suspicion it was more of the shirtless Jake Gyllenhall :laugh:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Anyone watch Fallout?
I'm. First two episode are really great. I was skeptical but they did great job. At least on the start. Great direction, all scenes that opening/introducing characters are great, level of talking humor is good, visual humor is good. Main character girl is good and isn't annoying, she isn't Mary sew at all. There were nice direction decisions of visualizing of different things. So first two episodes looks like people wanted to do their job, they can do it and they have ideas for it.

Hard recommendation.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm. First two episode are really great. I was skeptical but they did great job. At least on the start. Great direction, all scenes that opening/introducing characters are great, level oh talking humor is good, visual humor is good. Main character girl is good and isn't annoying, she isn't Mary sew at all. There were nice direction decisions of visualizing of different things. So first two episodes looks like people wanted to do their job, they can do it and they have ideas for it.

Hard recommendation.
I’m 1 episode in and I loved what I saw so far. I haven’t played the games but I’ve see enough to see the connections and the tie in with music. Right at the top of my list to keep watching when I have time.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m 1 episode in and I loved what I saw so far. I haven’t played the games but I’ve see enough to see the connections and the tie in with music. Right at the top of my list to keep watching when I have time.
I played but I like it as cinema product. There were tonns of great scenes like scene with grave - bad vss, dog growing scene - vibe, music, timing, I really like transition where scenes have connections and often the irony in this connection.
There will be nice scene near the cave, and you will see how director was smart to show how one character eats his supplies (specifically) and what is going on after near this cave. I liked how raders were introduced. And the visual design of projector slides crashing.

And its fun and entertaining. Its much better than modern star wars movies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Only watched the first two episodes of Fallout so far, it's pretty good, they really nailed the look and feel for the most part. For me it would have been better to slowly introduce the world instead of skipping around and showing the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave etc. right away.

The main character Lucy has been better than expected, Maximus however...holy shit this guys sucks so bad, such a bitch, I can't stand him anytime he's on screen. Pretty weird to have a Ghoul as a main character, not sure where they're going with that but Goggins is good.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad